Deer direction --after shot.

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

the elf

Deer direction --after shot.

Post by the elf »

After a deer has been shot---does it usually continue the way it was going?
does it go back the way it came?--or does it take off in a completely different direction?--I would be interested in hearing your experiences.---Elf. :?: :?:
hatchet jack

Post by hatchet jack »

they will either go back the way they come, or head for the nearest cover, they are very unpredictable.

h.j.
they say he is still up there.
Kenton

Post by Kenton »

Alot of the time they head for water, if they can.
"You have reached the pinnacle of success as soon as you become uninterested in money, compliments, and publicity." - Eddie Rickenbacker, World War I pilot
groundpounder

Post by groundpounder »

I believe they really don't know what they are doing, just trying to get the hell out of Dodge so to speak. I've experienced it all, had them come straight at me, straight away from me, downhill, uphill. Generally I would believe they try to head for the thickest cover or the fastest escape route they can.
Why ride when you can walk!
GaryL

Post by GaryL »

Most, I say most have fliped around and for a short distance headed back the way the came walking in, then make a fast turn to the nearest cover .... :D
Always learning!!
Home fer now!
crazyfarmer

Post by crazyfarmer »

here is a better way to look at it.. imagine someone shot at you or shot you.. which way would you go :D anyway you can to get the heck outta dodge. Now when a deer has time to think they usually head for thick cover or water. If ones hit badly, then 95% of the time head downhill.
Bow Life

Post by Bow Life »

Just a question, whats "dodge"? Thanks in advance.
Mike

Excalibur Exocet
Drop Zone Scope
Gold Tip Laser 2 Graphite Bolts
100 Wasp BroadHeads

Greatness is not in where we stand, but in what direction we are moving.
crazyfarmer

Post by crazyfarmer »

dodge.. old country saying lol

means get the hell out of this place and dont come back :D
Shakky

Post by Shakky »

I have found they head back the way they came more or less.
wabi

Post by wabi »

Most of the deer I've shot with the crossbow have headed on in the general direction they were going when shot.
I know others have had just the opposite reaction, and I'm not trying to dispute their word in any way! Just saying the "get out of Dodge" theory is probably the best description!!!! :lol:
BTW - I believe the "get out of Dodge" expression is linked to the old wild west days in the USA when Dodge City was a wild frontier town with no safe place to hide if you made someone mad. :wink:
wabi
crazyfarmer

Post by crazyfarmer »

wabi wrote:Most of the deer I've shot with the crossbow have headed on in the general direction they were going when shot.
I know others have had just the opposite reaction, and I'm not trying to dispute their word in any way! Just saying the "get out of Dodge" theory is probably the best description!!!! :lol:
BTW - I believe the "get out of Dodge" expression is linked to the old wild west days in the USA when Dodge City was a wild frontier town with no safe place to hide if you made someone mad. :wink:
you nailed it;) I forgot its some northen folk here that cant translate out country tongue;) But dodge was around when the wild west days were here.
Tar Heel

Post by Tar Heel »

Bow Life wrote:Just a question, whats "dodge"? Thanks in advance.
Dodge City Kansas, I always thought the saying came from the TV western Gunsmoke, If Marshall Dillion was after you you better get the
h-- out of Dodge.

Tar Heel
The old man from the mountain
jay73

Post by jay73 »

Back to the question...

4 out of 5 I have shot have gone back almost exactly the way they came out. The 5th one dropped in her tracks.

Jay
bbbwb

Deer direction after shot

Post by bbbwb »

Of 35+ years of deer hunting, I have had deer react in all the ways that have been mentioned -- continue on, turn around, come toward, go away, go for water, head for nearest thick cover or drop on spot. I tend to believe it depends on the danger sign that the deer clues into just prior to or at the time of the shot --- bullet, arrow or bolt--- hits the animal. This can also be affected by topograghy and the way the echo or the sound travels and the deer hears it.
Having said this, I am sure incidents can be recalled where a deer seems cofused as to what just happened. I have found this to be very noticable in archery. If hunter is still and not noticed before nor immediately after the shot, the animal will jump, trott a few steps and stop to look around. It, along with others close by, are on the alert and will generally retreat the way they came either at a trott or walk, stopping and starting.The injured animal going with the crowd until it succumbs to the fatal hit.
So I guess in summary to the question, I would say the hunter can not predict exactly the deer's response but keeping in mind the device used gun,archery,, he will have an idea as to the route of escape after the shot by what the deer's state was prior to and at the moment of him shooting.
ninepointer

Post by ninepointer »

The only direction in which I have NOT seen one run after being hit is directly into an open field.
Slick Trick 100 gr. Standard broadheads
Groundpounder Quiver Mount