Turkey decoy layout

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

butch

Turkey decoy layout

Post by butch »

Hey all. Counting the days untill the Turkey season opens here in eastern Ontario. I finally have time to hunt them this year. Over the years of planning I have purchased a two bobbin head Hen decoy's and a upright Jake decoy. Im just looking for a spread set up and distance from my natural blind. Ive seen a bunch of hens in the area but no Toms. Any help would be greatly welcomed. Thank you in advance. Butch
Exocet w/ FFF string/ Aimpoint
18" Gold Tip Laser II's
and 125 grain Montec G5's
Doe Master
Site Admin

Post by Doe Master »

Normally where the girls are the big guy is not far away .
joeyd50

Post by joeyd50 »

One thing to remember, always have your hens facing you, or walking away from the direction you think the Tom may come. This way the Tom thinks the birds are walking away from him and he should try and catch up. If you face the hens in his direction he may wait for them to come to him.
Good Luck
Joe
crazyfarmer

Post by crazyfarmer »

I usually put mine about 25 yards out. The farther the better since they keep the eyes off you. I usually always get into a jam to where I cant get my decoy up in time before the turkey gets there. Then again, if I dont use one, then the bird comes 50 yards and see's nothing so he goes back. I cant win for nothing LOL

But a hen and a jake work best.. I usually just use a hen since I dont have time to get setup with both
butch

Post by butch »

Thanks for the quick resonces. I was watching a couple of shows on the hunting channel and most show the full strut tom dec being very effective. I priced them out at the Bass Pro shops in Toronto and Virgina. I was suprised at how expensive they were. Has anyone used them and are they worth it? This forum is great for getting the "ground truth". Thanks in advance.
Exocet w/ FFF string/ Aimpoint
18" Gold Tip Laser II's
and 125 grain Montec G5's
crazyfarmer

Post by crazyfarmer »

a average jake will do the trick. Toms see that and come in to run him off.

Walmart has some decent ones for the price.. bascially with all hunting, go try something and see how it works. Its a learning process which makes hunting fun;)
Sinker402

Post by Sinker402 »

I use two hens and a Jake placed about 15 yards away, far enough to keep a distraction yet close enough to hopefully get a shot. The hens at a best guess as to going away and the Jake behind then perpenducular at a guard, watch position. This worked for me this year for an 8 inch beard in Oklahoma.