Oh Boy! Cracked the Limbs on my Exomax

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

Rage_A_Holic

Oh Boy! Cracked the Limbs on my Exomax

Post by Rage_A_Holic »

OK so I looked into crossbows in December 2006, Decided on Excalibur by Early January. I purchased, and received my first bow by early February... and was SO excited to shoot it.

Well; we live in the city; so there is nowhere to shoot it around here, and I was so busy with my schooling I couldn't afford to go very far. Well I finally got away today. I went up to the Wolf's Den. Took about an hour and a half; but it was gonna be a GOOD DAY! I was excited to finally shoot the bow.

Well I took the first 6 shots; all went well.... The accuracy on these bows amazes me! Then on my 7th POW waaa-WAA-waaa-WAaaaaaa.... I saw the arrow arc into the woods, and the string jump off my bow. I looked for the bolt for a good 1/2 hour with no luck :( ....... The left limb cracked pretty bad; Ill get some pics up tonight, but the right stayed intact.

I spoke to Thomas @ the Bass Pro Shops, we agreed that the carbon bolt most likely had a hairline fracture, and split on pulling the trigger; simulating a semi-dry fire.

Any other Ideas on what went wrong?

I tried to call Excal; but they are closed until Monday :(
I hope there is something they can do for me :(

What a crappy day! and I still have yet to spend some time shooting the bow. Oh well... looks like more waiting is in store for me :( :(
[img]http://img169.imageshack.us/img169/948/sig2ty6.jpg[/img]
wabi

Post by wabi »

Another cause that can have similar effects is shooting with the arrow not tight against the string.
Had it happen once. :oops:
wabi
Pydpiper

Post by Pydpiper »

If a string jumps off it is usually due to a dryfire, but if you saw the arrow go than as Wabi said, the arrow may not have been tucked all the way in, which is the the same as a dryfire, to the bow. I don't see how a fractured arrow would cause a limb to break, it would still have enough resistance to keep the string on the limbs. Nobody will ever know what went wrong for you..
I dryfired enough times to become an expert in the feild :?

Shoot safe!
If you are not willing to learn, nobody can help you, if you are willing, nobody can stop you.
A bowhunter with a passion for shooting firearms.
WMU 91
Boo string
Rage_A_Holic

Post by Rage_A_Holic »

Thanks guys.

From your Experience; do you think Excal will help me out?
Pydpiper

Post by Pydpiper »

Without doubt or hesitation, Excalibur will help you out.
If you are not willing to learn, nobody can help you, if you are willing, nobody can stop you.
A bowhunter with a passion for shooting firearms.
WMU 91
Boo string
wabi

Post by wabi »

Luckily the only time I had a shot without the arrow tight against the string was on a Vixen (old model riser) with a dacron string. When I shot I saw the arrow flip up and away from the bow. The aluminum arrow was bent (from the string hitting it, I think) but the limbs suffered no damage.
I had set the bow on the ground - stirrup down - after I cocked & loaded it. Later testing (after the errant shot) showed the arrow retaining spring was a little loose, and the arrow would slip forward if I held the Vixen with the arrow down and bumped the bow with my hand. All I could figure was that I had set it down too hard and the arrow had moved slightly forward. I bent the clip to tighten it a little, and was very careful not to let that happen again.
wabi
crazyfarmer

Post by crazyfarmer »

I had the dreaded dryfire on my exocet last fall and I called excal and they had me sending the limbs out to Dan Miller the next morning. Had everything back in no time. All I had to pay was the shipping to Dan. You cannot beat their customer service and warranty;)

Ask for Peter if you call and he will help you out. But sit back and relax since they will help you out;) I felt like a idiot telling them I dryfired the bow. I should have had to pay for the fix, but they fixed it for free. You cant beat that:) Thats why if I ever get another bow, its gonna be another excal
Horizontal Hunter

Post by Horizontal Hunter »

Rage_A_Holic

You are lucky I ran across this in the hunting.net forum A fellow who goes by GooseHunter Jr. had and "arrow shatter on release." Apparently the arrow was somehow damaged on a previous shot. The arrow was a Beman ICS Camo Hunter 400 which was shot out of a Reflex Highlander vertical bow.

Fortunately he is on the mend after hand surgery.

HH
Vegetarian: vejiˈte(ə)rēən/noun: old Indian word for lousy hunter.
Excalibur Exocet, GT Laser II, 2" Bhoning Blazers 125g NAP Spitfire
crazyfarmer

Post by crazyfarmer »

OUCH!!
Stash

Post by Stash »

Have a close look at the tips of the limbs and see if there is any of the edge of the string groove chipped off. That's a sign that the string may have been defective - too large a loop.

That's what happened the only time I've ever seen an Excal string come completely off.
Rage_A_Holic

Post by Rage_A_Holic »

Thank you guys SO much.

This forum is amazing. I was having such a horrid day; but reading all your helpful posts cheered me right up. Here are the pics as promised.

Stash- I went in to Bass Pro today; hoping to see you. Thomas was there, he's a great guy too! He assured me Excal would be there to support me. What a relief.

I ended up leaving with $50+ of new fishing equipment.... your store is just great.

mostlybow

Post by mostlybow »

Crazyfarmer speaks the truth. They just did the same thing for me on an emax. I have never dealt with a company with better customer service or products. Relax :D :D :D
EXOCET 175
A GOOD BOW SHOT CAN GO BAD WITH AN IMPURE THOUGHT
Kuffs

Post by Kuffs »

Similar story for me. Some how as I was changing the string I broke the stringer & the limb had a hairline fracture as a result. I sent them an email & Bill (the head honcho) responded telling me to just send them everything & he'll replace. I only paid the shipping.
I love excal...totaly devoted to them. (I wish I could afford to buy the whole line up & had the room for them)
Experience is simply the name we give our mistakes!

Excal Micro 335
PRB

Post by PRB »

Sorry about the damage to your limbs. It sure is nice to know Excalibur is there for us when they are needed. Youll be back in business in no time.
Life Is Too Short !!! Live For The Moment !!!
Doe Master
Site Admin

Post by Doe Master »

Just get ahold of Peter tomorrow and he`ll take care of you .By what you wrote it does sound like the arrow was not quite up against the string .When testing the limbs with dryfires I have had strings take off somewhere ,then you have to go looking for it just to see if the loop failed or not .With dryfires it is a game of russian roulette as to when the limb will fail ,one or a couple it all depends on many things.Like which model is being dryfired .