Trigger pull/Equinox

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

Cossack

Trigger pull/Equinox

Post by Cossack »

I find the trigger on my new Equinox annoying at best. It is ragged (jerky) until releasing at 3.5 lbs, with a relatively long take-up. It also has considerabel creep before even starting the release. The latter I've compensated for by taking up the slack (WITH THE SAFETY ON) prior to starting the trigger pull. Hope the pull itself will become more smooth as it is used.
Does anyone know what to do to adjust and or polish the EXCAL trigger to make it smoother, less take up?
A.W

Re: Trigger pull/Equinox

Post by A.W »

Cossack wrote:Does anyone know what to do to adjust and or polish the EXCAL trigger to make it smoother, less take up?
Keep shooting and it should smoothe itself out.
[img]http://photobucket.com/albums/b38/allan_w_/th_tinybuck3hj1.gif[/img]

Exocet your options and exCalibur8 your sights.
Cossack

Post by Cossack »

I've done numerous trigger jobs on guns. This is unlikely to be fixed by shooting. I have to take up the slack in the trigger before it starts to disengage. After that the pull isn't smooth with several ragged spots before it releases. The release point is a measured 3.5 lbs, that's less a issue than getting there.
Cal

unhappy with trigger

Post by Cal »

You are correct I had a buddy that had the same problem did get resolved until the unit was replaced. With your gun experience you know what a double set trigger is, what you are doing by pulling the safety to take up the slack is dangerous. By doing what you are the amount of sear engagement is reduced when you help it with pulling the trigger with the safety on. I personally don't understand why there is trigger play with the safety on, it is disturbing to me none of my other guns have such play with the saftey on. Just my thoughts, PS a double set trigger does not lessen sear engagement as you know. :cry:
Cossack

Post by Cossack »

Cal.
Taking up the slack with the safety off hasn't been a problem. I lubed the unit with a liquid spray with Teflon and it seems that it helped to reduce the take up. Seems a bit smoother too. Hav'n't had a chance to put the trigger scale on it to check if the pull weight was affected too.
ch312

Post by ch312 »

jb weld, aluminum shims (aka pop can) and a stone will fix your problem. triggers are basically the same as a gun setup so its very easy to modify so just go search the net for how to take the creep out of a trigger and make it smooooooth :wink:
flbuckmaster

Post by flbuckmaster »

is that safe? Image
Invalid Session. Please resubmit the form.
Cossack

Post by Cossack »

ch 312 Can you elaborate on that..... or is that just troll poop.
Normous

Post by Normous »

Cossack wrote:ch 312 Can you elaborate on that..... or is that just troll poop.
Cossack
You state that you have done numerous trigger jobs. Cetainly then you should be familiar with JB compound, stoning and shimming and how their use can improve triggers...right. ch312 was not giving you a line of Troll Poop. Maybe you can do a trigger job on your Excal and report back.
Thanks
eNORMous
Last edited by Normous on Sun Jun 24, 2007 3:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
EXCALFFLICTION 1991 ->>----------> 2024
Matrix 355
Huskemaw and Leupold crossbow optics.
Boo Strings
SWAT BH's and TOTA heads.
Teach Your Family How To Hunt So You Don't Have To Hunt For Your Family
Pydpiper

Post by Pydpiper »

I highly doubt anyone is trolling your thread.

Just send the thing back, that is what warranties are for. Regardless of where you bought it it will end up with a guy named Danny Miller, save yourself some time and cut out any middle man.. Danny's number is (740) 483-2312.
If you are not willing to learn, nobody can help you, if you are willing, nobody can stop you.
A bowhunter with a passion for shooting firearms.
WMU 91
Boo string
DrDan

Post by DrDan »

I don't have any problems with my Equinox. Yes the trigger has a little creep, but after lots of shooting I know how much is there. Can easily take it up and then know that a little bump more and it goes whummmp!
I've also done many trigger jobs, but on a crossbow, I'll opt for a safe action and put up with a little creep.
Phoenix - Equinox
Don't trust anyone wearing a necktie...
DrDan
Cossack

Problem Solved

Post by Cossack »

Incredible as it may sound, I lubed the trigger mechanism with TriFlo, a lubricant with Teflon in it, and the creep and take up vanished. Just vanished!
I had been shooting the bow on an almost daily basis and it wasn't coming around. After the lube, take up is zero and my release is just a hair under 3 lbs on the RCBS trigger scale. I'm a happy camper!