? For Phoenix Owners.

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

mike41

? For Phoenix Owners.

Post by mike41 »

I have been reading the post about different strings. When I bought my Phoenix I got what ever string they come with, don't know which one it is. My question is, too get the best performance from a Phoenix which string should you use.

Mike41:
Good Hunting - Be Safe.
sumner4991

Post by sumner4991 »

Mike41 . . .string is more of a personal preference than anything else. I like the Fast Flight Flemish best because it gives me a little more speed and I think it's a bit more accurate than the Dacron. The Dacron is a smoother shooting string and it is a pleasure to shoot . . .however, it stretches more and maintaining the brace height is a little more work. Dacron is easier on the limbs in case of a dry fire. Anyway, there are trade-offs. Only way to really know the one that's best for you is to try them out and see what you like the best. Anyway, I shoot both the Fast Flight and the Dacron . . .just depends on how I feel when I wake up. :wink: Either string will perform very well in your bow.
I'd rather wear out than rust out.
Perception trumps intention.

2006 Exomax w/Agingcrossbower Custom Stock
20" Easton Powerbolts w/125gr Trophy Ridge Stricknines & 2"Blazers
Boo Custom Strings
2006 Vixen
mike41

? For Phoenix Owners.

Post by mike41 »

sumner4991,
Thanks for the reply. But now you have thrown me another curve, what is Brace Height and how do you measure it?

As you can tell this is my 1st recurve xbow, and I never heard of this adjustment on my compound xbow.

Mike41:
Good Hunting - Be Safe.
sumner4991

Post by sumner4991 »

There are two brace height lines on your rail. When the rested string is at it's proper brace height, it needs to settle somewhere between the two lines. It's preferred by most(if not all) of us to have the string settle at the exact same point at all times. This will make the speed of your bolt consistant. The speed of your bolt will vary a few feet per second from the first line to the second line. You adjust the string by removing one end from the bow and twisting it.
I'd rather wear out than rust out.
Perception trumps intention.

2006 Exomax w/Agingcrossbower Custom Stock
20" Easton Powerbolts w/125gr Trophy Ridge Stricknines & 2"Blazers
Boo Custom Strings
2006 Vixen
wabi

Post by wabi »

I believe the string shipped with new Excaliburs has been changed in the past year or two. They used to come with an endless loop fastflight type. Currently they come with an endless loop dacron. If the string appeared to be too short when the bow was first braced it is probably dacron. They tend to stretch quite a bit at first, so it's a good idea to make them a little too short.
Which string to use to get best performance depends on your definition of best performance. Fastflight gives more speed, dacron gives less noise and vibration. Either one will work on the Phoenix (or any Excalibur with mag-tip limbs)
I just read Bill T's post on the thread about dryfires. He recommends the dacron for beginners due to the fact damage is less likely to occur if you screw up and dryfire the bow! Good advice in my opinion!
I went back and did a search to find this picture to explain brace height:
wabi
mike41

? For Phoenix Owners.

Post by mike41 »

Thanks for the explanation guys, now I know what those 2 lines are for. Since it is brand new I guess I could mark where it is now, and if it moves from that mark, take it off and twist it until it returns to the original place.

Mike41:
Good Hunting - Be Safe.
wabi

Post by wabi »

Mike41,
I think you will probably find the bow shoots a little smoother & quieter if you keep the brace height near the line farthest from the riser. (highest brace height) All the Excals I've owned did best at right around 1 1/8" brace height.
wabi
mike41

? For Phoenix Owners.

Post by mike41 »

wabi, bstout,
thanks for the tip. I will mark that spot an keep a eye on the string. I would rather have a little smoother shooting bow than a few extra fps.

Mike41:
Good Hunting - Be Safe.