Shaft Problems

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

Hi5

Shaft Problems

Post by Hi5 »

I did an extensive test last weekend of determining the point of impact on each bolt, first with target points and lastly with broadheads.

What a bunch of crap I had bought over the years. (I'm not referring to some nice bolts I bought recently from Greywolf.) Anyway, most of them grouped decently with target points, but man, what a disappointment when I switched to broadheads.

Thats' when I really looked over the stinkers carefully. With the unaided eye I could see how the bolt was not cut square or else the insert was installed with a slight tilt. Whatever.

I tried heating the shaft to see if I could break the insert loose so I could reseat it. No go.

My question is, can I do anything to square it insert by some other means? I'm wondering whether the Montec tool works, and if so, how bad a flaw can it correct?
Last edited by Hi5 on Tue Aug 21, 2007 1:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Gun Control Laws"--trying to nag criminals into submission.
sumner4991

Post by sumner4991 »

Hi5 . . .I can feel your pain. I went through the same thing last year just before season opener. I've tried everything to get a couple of bad ones out . . .they just were not coming. Now I do extensive testing of the bolt before I even think of putting a broadhead on it. My advice to you is this . . .just use the bad ones for target practice. Use the best ones for hunting.
I'd rather wear out than rust out.
Perception trumps intention.

2006 Exomax w/Agingcrossbower Custom Stock
20" Easton Powerbolts w/125gr Trophy Ridge Stricknines & 2"Blazers
Boo Custom Strings
2006 Vixen
Shakky

Post by Shakky »

I hear you. I had the same problem. I'm now using Spitfires with the new Fire bolt arrow and so far so good.
Boo

Post by Boo »

You can use an ASD ( http://www.g5outdoors.com/#sec_asdtool ) as long as the insert isn't so far of that it interferes with the shaft of the Broadhead. They really do work. I have one circulating it he US of A and if you go to HNI ( http://www.huntingnet.com/forum/tt.aspx?forumid=96 ) you might be able to find it and borrow it. Just ask for Dnk's ASD
Some people just like stepping on rakes
Stosh

Post by Stosh »

I use a vee block and a file to square up my shafts, then do it again after I hot melt glue the inserts in. All inserts are not made square either, works great. I also do the flat nocks as they are not all square either.
$17.00 at enco
Good luck, Stosh

http://www.use-enco.com/CGI/INSRIT?PMAK ... PG=INLMK32
trky chsr

Post by trky chsr »

I screw a aluminum ferrule into the insert and heat that to remove one or to tune up a bad insert. I do this even with epoxy glued inserts. If you do this and your bolts still don't fly right try replacing the aluminum inserts with brass ones. I couldn't believe the difference. This , by the way, was the recommendation from Bill at Excalibur. TC
Farmer

Post by Farmer »

I go through the same process as bstout . The spin tester / with the bearings will make even the slightest wobble stand out like a sore thumb .
Cossack

Post by Cossack »

If they are shooting well with field point but not so with BH,s it may not be the bolt. I had the same problem of bolts flying off into undetermined directions only to find it was the BH. I ws using full sized heads (named after what follows lightning) and missed two buck but not in the same direction. I switched to the smaller, 4 bladed Slick Tricks and the same arrows shot great.

But, I do have success removing inserts and nocks by using a heat gun. Spin the bolts very close to the source of heat (for about 2 minutes) then give the insert a tug with pliers. I use the high setting.