VANE SIZES

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

ONLY8PTS

VANE SIZES

Post by ONLY8PTS »

I LOOKED FOR THE ANSWER BUT COULDN'T FIND IT ON THIS SITE.I AM VERY NEW HERE AND I DON'T KNOW MY WAY AROUND YET.I SEE DIFFERENT SIZES OF VANES .WHAT ARE THE PROS AND CONS OF THE LENGTHS.AND ALSO,ISN'T THERE A MAXIMUM WIDTH FOR EXCALIBUR XBOWS.ANY EXPERIENCES OR OPINIONS WILL BE GREATLY APPRECIATED.
ALWAYS GIVE THANKS FOR YOUR BOUNTY.
REMEMER, AIM SMALL.....MISS SMALL.
VORTEX,WITH RIGHT STUFF PKG.
sumner4991

Post by sumner4991 »

A lot of us have made the switch to the 2" vanes. Mainly because they are lighter and they seem to stabilize just as well as the longer vanes. I'll bet the shorter ones are performing so well because of the increase of air pressure from the faster bows. I have not tried anything shorter than the 2" Blazer vanes and they work very good. The longer ones are suppose to stabilize the bolt faster and are recommended for hunting(use with broadheads). I still have three bolts with 4" vanes on them and have not been able to see a difference, at least not from 30 yards. I have shot fixed broadheads and mechanicals with the 2" with very good results.
I'd rather wear out than rust out.
Perception trumps intention.

2006 Exomax w/Agingcrossbower Custom Stock
20" Easton Powerbolts w/125gr Trophy Ridge Stricknines & 2"Blazers
Boo Custom Strings
2006 Vixen
gad

Post by gad »

I am using the vanetecs 4". I like them, they are a little more rigid than the other ones I found and stabilize very well the bolts from my xbows or the arrows from my hoyt.
I'm all for gun control. To me, gun control is putting 2 bullets in the same hole... UNCLE TED
Big John

vanes

Post by Big John »

I have used all the sizes and types now, and find very little difference at thirty yards. There are many factors involved with determining what you want to achieve, length of shot, broadhead, field points, targets. Since most of all my shots are thirty five yds. or less, I can use almost any size. However in windy conditions, I prefer to use Short stiff vanes, and in calm weather (no rain) I like to use Feathers, 4"in. If I want to tighten a grouping of broadhead's I like to change the off-set of fletch to 6 or 7 Deg.

However to each his own. :wink:
Phoenix - 375 gr. BEE's (babyneilsons)
Micro 315 - 410 gr. Zombies/Lumenoks
Micro 355. - Punisher-Zombies/Lumenoks

Arrowmaker - Retired
[email protected]
ONLY8PTS

Post by ONLY8PTS »

THANKS GUYS.I HAVEN'T SHOT ENOUGH YET TO HAVE TO REPLACE ANY VANES BUT I'LL TAKE ALL OF THIS INTO CONSIDERATION.
ONLY8PTS

Post by ONLY8PTS »

HAS ANYONE TRIED THE QUICKSPIN SPEED HUNTER VANES?