anyone use Deer decoys?

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

crazyfarmer

anyone use Deer decoys?

Post by crazyfarmer »

Im thinking of buying one mainly for the pre rut/rut since its one field I hunt thats about 75 acres in size and you never know where deer will enter the field. I had 2 bucks last season come out about 200 yards out and I was wondering if this might have helped draw them close to my end of the field. If anyone has ever used a deer decoy, let me know your thoughts..

I like the carry lite one

all seem to be bulky and I would put mine together before I reach the stand...
kev

Post by kev »

I've thought about it also. Theres a few young guy's who are head hunters around me that swear buy them. I can't remember the brand name of the type they use though.

They spend all year keeping track of deer with trail cams and have food plots set up. Dollars to dougnuts they already have this years Buck's picked out. They do arrow some nice buck's though, maybe there is something to decoy's.
crazyfarmer

Post by crazyfarmer »

Flambeou or however you spell it makes one also, but its a lifelike version of a 190pound buck.. the psoblem here in Va is that thats bigger than 95% of the bucks here LOL..

I just want one to use in the field to lure one across the field hopefully
TPM

Post by TPM »

The most important blood trail leads to the Cross...

Phoenix
HHA Optimizer
Hawke scope
Boo strings
Boo tuned trigger
kev

Post by kev »

They sure can't hurt.
VixChix

Post by VixChix »

I used the Renzo doe last year. They're pretty realistic for being 2D, also easy to pack, versatile for set-up. Missed a chance at a very nice buck last year in a situation where I'm pretty sure if I had the decoy out he'd have been relocated to my freezer.

They're good for archery. For shotgun I'd only use it if I were very, very, very certain that no one else would be hunting/trespassing in the area. I wouldn't use it for rifle. I'm always very careful (read: paranoid) when I'm putting it out just in case some yahoo hunter is trespassing and takes a shot at the deke with me behind it.
Vixen, Micro 315, HHA Optimizer, Boo & VixenMaster strings, Munch Mounts, Dr. Stirrup accessories.
John Wade

Post by John Wade »

I've been thinking about it but my hunting partner won't wear the dang antlers and I think his butt is too big to fit into the rest of the suit.
John Wade the Dog Trainer
www.johnwade.ca
sumner4991

Post by sumner4991 »

The Game Wardens in my area(Virginia) use these to catch road hunters(they even have one that wags its tail/ears). There is no way I would carry one into the field after it's put together. They are too real. Looks like they would make it "off color" since deer are color blind anyway. Even on private property, there is a chance of your decoy being shot. Has anyone ever had their decoy shot?

Good idea and it would probably attract a lot of animals. :wink:
I'd rather wear out than rust out.
Perception trumps intention.

2006 Exomax w/Agingcrossbower Custom Stock
20" Easton Powerbolts w/125gr Trophy Ridge Stricknines & 2"Blazers
Boo Custom Strings
2006 Vixen
DuckHunt

Post by DuckHunt »

I actually took my cheapo Kmart 3-D target out once during archery season in Maryland (on a military base under controlled conditions) and set it up about 20 yards in front of my stand. A couple doe were passing through my hunting area about 75 yards away. I grunted at them and made them look my direction. Once they saw the target/decoy they turned and walked directly to me. I ended up bagging a doe that is still possibly the biggest deer I've take in sheer size. Once she got into bow range she figured things out and was cornering away when I let the vertical bow do its thing.

If you have a place where you are confident no one else will take shot at it, you would be surprised at how well they work. I haven't tried it since but with the light decoys they are making today I may consider it. I bet it would be great for open fields and woodlines during rifle season. If using a decoy, I would recommend stand hunting. :)
huntman

Post by huntman »

I have a doe and buck 2d decoy made by Renzo, I think they great i havnt used them alot becuase You really need to know how to set them up regarding wind etc.

But on one occasion last season i had a doe decy out at about 35 yards and had a young fawn and a button buck come out, they were feeding along side the decoy for about a few mins untill a second deer not sure what it was began wheezing from behind me in the bush. This deer must of been a few yards behind me but i could turn to look at the same time there was a four deer on the edge of the bush that i could see but not make out the sex that was hesitatant to approach.. the point of the story is that if one deer comes out it works great however if multiple are out then there will always be one that will notice the decoy is not moving.