tunerz & flemish strings

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

bucky

tunerz & flemish strings

Post by bucky »

I just bought some tunerz string silencers by excalibur for my exocet 200.
When I put them on and restrung the bow and put presure on the string it cut the tunerz in half. So can you use these with the flemish strings or not. Or should I just leave the string bare.
GaryL

Post by GaryL »

Leave it bare bucky, most string silencers that fit on the string do not last over more then a couple shots on a crossbow.
Always learning!!
Home fer now!
Boo

Post by Boo »

Try Cat Whiskers. To make them effective they have to be served on but not too close to the serving. Serve them on about three to four inches away from the string loop. They will not cost you much speed either. It really does take the annoying, high pitched, sharp noise out of the string snap.
Some people just like stepping on rakes
Normous

Post by Normous »

Cat whiskers as expressed by Boo do make a noticable difference in reducing that sharp crack. I have recently been treated to one of his strings sporting the secret whisker option. When served close to the end loops whisker movement is reduced and longevity is enhanced. One has to see his unique installation style...like no other. In my Equinox(modded) my chrono repeatedly verified a very slight 3-4 fps loss with these whiskers. Most pleasing was the reduction that loud string crack emitted with my GT II's still leaving at a blistering 358 fps.

Norm
EXCALFFLICTION 1991 ->>----------> 2024
Matrix 355
Huskemaw and Leupold crossbow optics.
Boo Strings
SWAT BH's and TOTA heads.
Teach Your Family How To Hunt So You Don't Have To Hunt For Your Family
Farmer

Post by Farmer »

The tunerz do not stand up to the pressure of the crossbow and cut in half in a very short time . As Gary stated leave the string bare .
Boo

Post by Boo »

Guys I really hate to differ, especially with you guys but a string with Cat Whiskers served on is a noticeable difference in the type and level of noise. It really is worth the couple of bucks for the Cat Whiskers and thread. If done correctly they stay on too. I wish I saw the expression on Norm's face when he first heard one of my strings that had Cat Whiskers served on. He acutally swapped strings again because he couldn't believe the difference.
Normous

Post by Normous »

I must have swapped Boo's whisker option string back to back with his bare one about eight times back to back just to make sure Patti and I were not hearing things. Each shot was also verified by my Competitive Edge Dynamics Chrono. Right then and there I decided that ALL my strings will sport this whisker option, they effectively cut down string noise and well I might add. This is the most inexpensive and efficient string dampening add on I have found since purchasing my first Exocet in 92, and I have tried a few in my years. With our Excaliburs giving us years of trouble free shooting and most us us only experiencing a string change as maintainance I would highly recommend a custom Boo string to compliment your favorite Excalibur. They come in various materials, colours, strand bundles, serving selections and whisker options as well. Serving longevity certainly pay for themselves over the factory selections making them a valuable investment.
BTW, hot pink is his best mover right now. get one while stocks lasts.

Norm
EXCALFFLICTION 1991 ->>----------> 2024
Matrix 355
Huskemaw and Leupold crossbow optics.
Boo Strings
SWAT BH's and TOTA heads.
Teach Your Family How To Hunt So You Don't Have To Hunt For Your Family
tuskntine

Post by tuskntine »

Where is best place to tie in the Whiskers ?
Love your neighbor, but keep your guns oiled.
Boo

Post by Boo »

A Flemish string has two twisted sections one is starts at the loop. Serve two strips of Cat Whiskers in the middle of that section but fold it over so you are actually serving on about four layers on and use lots of serving to hold on. Then on the next section serve on about a 3/4" long strip of cat whiskers but just enough to go around the string and thats all. Neither of these silencers travel much at all so they don't eat much speed from the string. The purpose of them is to absorb string vibration. If you serve then on properly they stay on for a long time. The have to be served on tight enough not to move at all. Otherwise they are useless and will fly off. I think you can buy enough to do a string for about $3.50. Serving is best done with Fast Flight string material but you can use dental floss. You should want a band of serving about 1/16" to 1/8" wide on the small set of cat whiskers and about 1/8" on the larger one. Chrono the set up and if you loose more than a couple of ft/sec then trim the small set of Whiskers to about 1/2". The larger set of Whiskers eat very little if any speed. From my rudimentary testing you need both sets of Whiskers and the location is important. The first and largest one goes about 2" away from the string loop and the second one is about 4 1/2" from the string loop.