O/T Recommendations On a New Shotgun

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

VixChix

Post by VixChix »

If you're looking for a grouse gun the Ithaca is great. But like another list member posted: if you want to hunt deer and waterfowl as well, consider buying 2 guns. The Ithaca isn't the best choice for waterfowl or deer. It's great for carrying when you're covering ground through the thick stuff, but it isn't as friendly for shooting the heavier loads. For waterfowl and deer I used to have an 870 and now have a Mossburg 500 - both are nicer to shoot for the heavier loads than the Ithaca 37 FeatherLight.

I didn't pay much more than $300 Cdn for any of the shotguns... of course, I like older guns - often older than I am :lol: I don't mind when someone else has worked them in for me. The older guns come with built-in character and I feel like I'm buying some history.
Vixen, Micro 315, HHA Optimizer, Boo & VixenMaster strings, Munch Mounts, Dr. Stirrup accessories.
Mountain Man

Post by Mountain Man »

Had a look at the link - the 870 is an awfully nice gun!

I hear what some of you are saying about buying two guns. Certainly something to consider.

Thanks for all the replies.

Mountain Man
BOB VANDRISH

Post by BOB VANDRISH »

Take a look at the Remington 870 pump combo.
You get interchangeable barrels,with a 23" rifled cantilevered barrel and a 28" vented rib barrel,with modified choke.
I have the 870 pump with the rifled deer barrel with a scope,and that is a tack driver with sabot slugs out to at least 100 yards.
I wish that they would have had that combination when I bought this one,as it is the best bush gun I own.
Short barrel for a short guy!!
Bob Vandrish.
raydaughety

Post by raydaughety »

I was in the same boat as you were in last year. I kept my benelli SBEII and bought this Remington Spartan for upland birds. Very comfortable gun to shoot and looks good as well. http://www.remington.com/products/firea ... _under.asp
God Bless !!!!!!!!!

Ray
Boo

Post by Boo »

Ray, how do you like your SBE II?
Some people just like stepping on rakes
Pydpiper

Post by Pydpiper »

I have that 870 combo in camo.. The rifled/canteliver barrel is amazing with sabots..
There is a reason the 870 is the most purchased shotgun on the planet.
If you are not willing to learn, nobody can help you, if you are willing, nobody can stop you.
A bowhunter with a passion for shooting firearms.
WMU 91
Boo string
hawg hunter

Shotgun

Post by hawg hunter »

There might be just the gun for you on the excal trading post. 870SPS with 4 chockes at a descent price.
Duey

Post by Duey »

BOO I have 2 SBEII'S and wouldn't get rid of them for anything. I have shot Benelli Super Black Eagles for the past ten year's and still have them all.

Duey
Boo

Post by Boo »

Duey is the SBE II much better? It would be hard to believe but is it? They can't improve on reliability or functionality, so there really only perceived recoil.
Some people just like stepping on rakes
Duey

Post by Duey »

BOO recoil reduction is there with the SBEII'S they have the strips in the stock and a gel recoil pad on them.
Put a Sims recoil pad on the SBE'S you have and it will be close to the recoil reduction on the new SBEII.

Duey