Deer tags for farmers (Canada) Question..

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

Pydpiper

Deer tags for farmers (Canada) Question..

Post by Pydpiper »

I was talking to my bro in law tonight about deer, he has not got a tag yet and claims that farmers don't have to go through the waiting lottery process. Said he just needs to provide his farmers papers and they issue a tag..
Is he hallucinating or do I need to start a farm?
If you are not willing to learn, nobody can help you, if you are willing, nobody can stop you.
A bowhunter with a passion for shooting firearms.
WMU 91
Boo string
Boo

Post by Boo »

David, you need to start a farm and get a landowner's tag. But what about your new license?
Some people just like stepping on rakes
Pydpiper

Post by Pydpiper »

My licence isn't exactly for sport, but this is more about being right.. :D
I just couldn't imagine it being so easy for a farmer..
The way I thought it worked is a farmer could apply for a special tag, but the ministry is apt to inspect to make sure there is crop damage, and even then you were only allowed to dispatch the animal, you couldn't keep it...
If you are not willing to learn, nobody can help you, if you are willing, nobody can stop you.
WMU 91
Boo string
chessy

Post by chessy »

as far as i know ... your farmer friend can get special permits to shoot deer on his land if there is crop damage.. they inspect his proporty and issue tags if there is a need... however they do not do it during and hunting season . it is afterwards... or before... and yes you can keep the meat or leave it in the field to rot.. you canot shoot the deer unless you are a agent for the farmer.. then the tags come in your name not his there will be paper work for you to fill out and send back the the mnr . if you give meat away the person will have to fill out paper work as well. good luck.... it is fun
Fox

Post by Fox »

With a Controlled hunt, if you are a land owner, you have to "apply" in person before Oct 1st I believe. You and any person who is a direct relative will be given a controlled hunt license for the WMU the land is in. The hunters must have a deer hunting license and abide by all rules as any other hunter. There are also damage tags of sorts, you need to prove that the deer are damaging your crops, but I think the cull is during the off season in this case, but don't quote me on that.
Farmer

Post by Farmer »

Chessy has the process down . A neighbour wanted to get rid of deer causing crop damage , and was turned down.

Now for Pydpiper, I can help you out with a doit yourself farm kit . Just show me the money and I'll give you the Business . :roll: :lol:
Pydpiper

Post by Pydpiper »

Thanks guys.. :D
Now, does a farmer get different access to tags (without crop damage)?
WMU 91
Boo string
chessy

Post by chessy »

http://publicdocs.mnr.gov.on.ca/View.as ... t_ID=25586

go to page 64 it will give you famers information .
Pydpiper

Post by Pydpiper »

Thanks for taking the time to look that up for me!

David
WMU 91
Boo string
chessy

Post by chessy »

no problem... i have all that info saved on puter.... i shoot deer in off season ..... as pest control... not nice... but keeps the farmer happy
duber

Post by duber »

If anyone who owns more than 50acres wants a tag for the controlled hunt all they have to do is apply.They are garented a tag as well as tags for imediate family.The only time that a farmer needs a site inspection from the MNR is to shoot pest deer, out of season.If you own less than 50 acres and want a tag you have to prove that you are a farmer and make a living from that land.

So all you need is 50 acres of land pydpiper.Get out the check book and you will be set.
175 Exocet
Vari-Zone scope
Gold Tip Laser 2's
100 grain Wasp Boss