Chair Blind

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

joeumholtz

Chair Blind

Post by joeumholtz »

Was in Bass Pro Shop last night and they have a chair blind for 90 + dollars. Best way to describe it is, it's a ground blind that just encloses a folding chair. It has side windows and the front opens up pretty wide. Anybody try using this thing with a crossbow? Thoughts?
Joe Umholtz
Harrisburg, PA
717-657-7896

Check out my portfolio at:

http://Writing.Com/authors/joeumholtz

or

http://www2.Writing.Com/authors/joeumholtz/blog
trky chsr

Post by trky chsr »

They make a one seater and two seater. I'll be getting a two seater for turkey for sure. Providing there is enough forward room for my Exocet. TC
VixChix

Post by VixChix »

I've seen them, but I don't think I'd like them for myself. I usually find that the ground I set up on isn't totally level and I like to be able to move the stool around in my blind to adjust for sinking into the ground, roots, rocks, etc.

I'd also be concerned about size, as I found that with sitting almost at the back of a "dog house" style blind the end of my bow often comes almost even with the window. I've been busted in a blind when I've moved my bow up just an inch so the arrow would clear the window. (My next blind will have shoot thru mesh! :lol: )
Vixen, Micro 315, HHA Optimizer, Boo & VixenMaster strings, Munch Mounts, Dr. Stirrup accessories.
joeumholtz

Post by joeumholtz »

Know what you mean Vix

The front will zip completely closed but I don't see how you could do that and still get a rifle, much less a crossbow inside. The inside fabric is black, which is a good thing. I think you'd be pretty much limit to directly in front of the blind for shooting. Of course, without much room to move you wouldn't move much. :)

I think this blind would work great for wildlife photography, not so sure about crossbow hunting.
Joe Umholtz
Harrisburg, PA
717-657-7896

Check out my portfolio at:

http://Writing.Com/authors/joeumholtz

or

http://www2.Writing.Com/authors/joeumholtz/blog
rutman

Post by rutman »

They work awesome for turkeys. You have to build a V stick or re bar style pole to support the spring steel band at the bottom of the opening. Then you can rest your gun or bow on it. They are comfortable and easy to carry in and set up. The only negative is the chair hinge pins wear out too soon on those cheap beer holder chairs.
rutman
paradox
graphite goldtip laser II's
wasp 100gr. jakhammer sst expandibles
Love it all!!!!!!!!!
crazyfarmer

Post by crazyfarmer »

ive seen them but always wondered if a XBOW would even fit in there. They just seemed bulky and not very stable for my likes.. I'll probably just stick with sitting by a tree and brushing myself in. Less gear to haul around that way :D :lol:

those that do have them, let us know if you can get a xbow inside one please :D
ga_Game_hunter

Post by ga_Game_hunter »

I've got one but have not opened it yet. I mainly got it for rifle season. If I have time later this evening I'll open it and get my Exocet and test it out for you.

Vix - I bought a Ameristep Doghouse blind last month. As you may know it comes with very small portholes within the windows that have the shoot through mesh. You can buy replacement kits that have the shoot through mesh for the entire window. I was in it a few weeks ago and wondered if someone could see through the mesh from the outside. When we were done hunting my brother came walking up and I scared the bejesus out of him because he had no idea I was still in it. Hopefully the deer will be fooled as well.
VixChix

Post by VixChix »

Thanks for the Doghouse review ga_Game_hunter! I actually just bought one of the newer Ameristep Doghouse blinds with portholes and the shoot-through mesh - just waiting for it to arrive. :D The blinds I've used in the past were very basic - el cheapo ones. They worked for meat in the freezer during shotgun season. Of course my dream is a nice Double-Bull blind. :lol:

I'll still use the older blinds I have. Will brush them in more around the windows and use a shooting stick this year.
Vixen, Micro 315, HHA Optimizer, Boo & VixenMaster strings, Munch Mounts, Dr. Stirrup accessories.
ga_Game_hunter

Post by ga_Game_hunter »

Vix, here are the TSC replacement kits I was referring to:

http://www.ameristep.com/shop/mesh.html

When mine arrived I set it up. The portholes are kind of small and I felt a little too confined in it. Once I added the TSC mesh kit and had the whole window to shoot through it opened it up a bunch. Just figured I'd mention it if you had the same feeling once you set it up and get inside.

I also have a few Outhouse blinds. I'll also still use them but anything else I buy will have the mesh. I'd love to have one of those DB blinds as well. Maybe next year if the budget permits. Good luck!
ga_Game_hunter

Post by ga_Game_hunter »

bstout wrote:
ga_Game_hunter wrote:Vix, here are the TSC replacement kits I was referring to:

http://www.ameristep.com/shop/mesh.html
Do these screens (#1822) fit a regular Ameristep Doghouse?

Do they allow you to have the window open in its entirety (not just the little window)? That would give a lot better shot opportunity. The regular Doghouse probably doesn't have the velcro in the correct places around the window's inside. That would be easy enough to install. Any fabric shop would have velcro strips.
My Doghouse is the original one and it did have the velcro on the inside. What you have to do is open up the window completely and push it to the outside. Then you have the velcro all the way around the window in which to put the mesh screen. You cant take the windows completey out, they either have to hang to the inside or to the outside. It works better having them hang to the outside and it's much better than just having the portholes.

I used model # 1822-02 for the "Original Doghouse" ones prior to 2002. As you stated though if you didnt have the velcro on the inside it would be really easy to add.
VixChix

Post by VixChix »

I'm going to wait and see what the blind is like when I get it - there was no mention of the TSC mesh kit with it, but it would be a nice surprise. :lol:

If it doesn't have it, you bet I'll be ordering one. :!:
sinclair

Post by sinclair »

I tried a two-man version during Turkey season. With a crossbow you are very limted in range of movement. Repositioning for a shot you were not already positioned for would be difficult to do without getting busted. I would probobly only use one again if I knew their would be rain.