New Season- New Phoenix= Dead Bird!

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

mike41

New Season- New Phoenix= Dead Bird!

Post by mike41 »

Deer & Turkey season open sat. couldn't go opening morning, but was able to go about 12:00 pm. Got to my blind about 13:30hrs around 16:30 looked out south window and saw 4 Jakes coming my way. I was set up to shoot west, they looked like they were going to be about 25/30 yds in front of me. At first I thought I would just watch them, didn't really want to shoot a Jake, they were strait out from me about 20/23 yds and I was looking at them through my ProView and noticed 1 jake was bigger than the rest. I was taking a real hard look at the distance and knew if I shot this would be by far my longest shot on a Turkey.

I have been doing alot of practicing the last couple of wks mostly at 30yds some at 20yds, and my confidence level has improved since shooting the Excal. So anyway I decided to take the shot, put my second cross hair just above his leg and pulled the trigger, dropped in his tracks (was very glad it was a good humane shot). Not a big Tom like we all want to get, but a very good hunt and I was satisfied with the out come.

I owe some of the credit to you guys on this forum, because it was just a few months back that you were discussing side shots on turkeys and where to hit them, so thanks to all of you guys for sharing your hunting experience, it gave me the insight as to where I should hit him.

One tag left maybe I can get that Tom.

Mike:
Good Hunting - Be Safe.
saxman

Post by saxman »

Nice bird mike41
Scott
http://www.myspace.com/saxman1

Take a kid hunting
They don't remember their best day of watching TV

Excalibur Equinox
TruGlo Red/Green Dot
NGSS Absorber by NewGuy
Custom strings by BOO
Groundpounder Top Mount
ACF Member - 2011
wabi

Post by wabi »

Congratulations!!!!!!!!!!!
Anytime you can kill one of those birds with an arrow you can be proud! And you had a smaller target than you would get with a huge old gobbler. :wink: :lol:
Your bird will be a lot better eating - enjoy it, and good luck in filling the second tag.
wabi
sumner4991

Post by sumner4991 »

Congrats on the bird Mike!!

That's where I always hit my turkeys. They always drop. Can't run, can't fly . . .they are down for the count. Best part of the bird, the breast, is in perfect condition. That will be some good eating!!
I'd rather wear out than rust out.
Perception trumps intention.

2006 Exomax w/Agingcrossbower Custom Stock
20" Easton Powerbolts w/125gr Trophy Ridge Stricknines & 2"Blazers
Boo Custom Strings
2006 Vixen
GREYWOLF

Post by GREYWOLF »

Way to start , congrats
1 CUSTOM EXOMAX
1 CUSTOM EXOCET 200
[img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v651/greywolf1/Copyofexcalibur037-1.jpg[/img]
Grizzly Adam

Post by Grizzly Adam »

Good job!
Grizz