fixed blade's or mechanical's ?

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

mikej

fixed blade's or mechanical's ?

Post by mikej »

does anybody have opinions on fixed blades and mechanical broad heads still undicided on what to use and what grain 100's or 125's? opinions on which is better fixed or mechanicals out of an excal and what grain is a better choice?
kevin

Post by kevin »

I've used NAP Shockwaves that are Mechanical heads and have taken deer with no problems with my EMag and Maxpoint.

The last couple years I've used a Vixen and Phonix with fixed blade heads of differant designs. I really don't have a preferance. A well placed shot with either type works.
my member name used to be kev until I changed my e-mail. member oct. 18, 2003
frydaddy

mechanical

Post by frydaddy »

:?: Did you double band those shockwaves? Excal say thay may flash open on exceleration. And how big were holes?
kevin

Post by kevin »

nope. just made sure the o-ring was seated good. I'll be letting my uncle use the Maxpoint this year and it will be the same set up with 100 gr. Shockwaves. and GT's with brass inserts.

He's never shot a crossbow, the Maxpoint shoots pretty flat and hard so I figured it'd be the best bow for him. It's been collecting dust a few years now but, still is zero'd and all set up ready to go.

I'll use my Vixen and Phoenix with Slick Trick's and Blackouts for the Vixen. I like fixed blade for the smaller bows.

The Emag and EMax will probably draw dust again this season.
frydaddy

Great

Post by frydaddy »

:o Thats great i have an equinox, i'll try shockwaves and see if thay will work out of it. I like shockwave's i have taken a lot of deer and hogs with them in my compound. Got a bad shoulder now so those days are over. Thanks for some Good News Frydaddy
crazyfarmer

Post by crazyfarmer »

like said above.. anything will work on a good placed shot. I like slick tricks for the fixed blade head and rage for the mech ones

both shoot about the same out of my exocet
wabi

Post by wabi »

I use G-5 Montecs for fixed blades and Wasp JakHammers (1¾" cut) for mechanicals. Either will kill a deer quickly if you place them where they should go. The Montec takes some care to keep them sharp, the JakHammer uses replacable blades. I prefer the JakHammers because of the bigger cut. A shot that goes a bit off the intended mark could make a difference in the recovery. I did shoot one buck I hit too far back with a JakHammer (a quick shot from a poor shooting position). It cut his liver completely in half and he went only 60 yards after the shot! With a smaller head, who knows what the results would have been????
I DO double band them! With a single band they sometimes open in flight from my Phoenix. Not always, actually about 1 out of 5, but why take any chances?
wabi
kevin

Post by kevin »

I does seem to me the mechanical heads retain blade sharpness longer than fixed blades in the quiver. Maybe because they are folded up and protected?

I should have mentioned my hunting partner has used Shockwaves out of his EMag for a few years now with no problems. He uses 125's on 2216's. 4" vanes. He's taken a number of Deer with them.
Farmer

Post by Farmer »

Rocket Sidewinders ( mechanical @ 1.5 inches ) an the Wasp Boss 4 Blade work well for me.