VariZone + Exomax question

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

DuckHunt

VariZone + Exomax question

Post by DuckHunt »

I've got a basic 2006 Exomax with the right stuff package and topped it with the Vari-zone scope. Using the GT arrows with 100gr field points it I can't get it to shoot in 10yard increments.
For example, if I sight in at 20 yards...
The top of the first diamond is about 2" high at 30 yards.
The top of the second is about 3" high at 40 yards.
The top of the bottom diamond is about 4" high at 50 yards.

That is with the scope set on 350. I turned it down to about 330 just to see what it would do. I was within 3/4 of an inch of my prior arrow at 50 yards so I wasn't sure it made much difference. So I cranked it down to 275 like an idiot. I shot over my Block 4x4. :shock:

Unfortunately this sapling did a fine job of catching my arrow.
Using a big screwdriver I was able to retrieve the arrow, but I think it is a loss due to a hairline scratch in it. (I'm not risking it.)

A lesson learned.

Has anyone else experienced this same issue? Is there anything you can do about it short of shooting a heavier bolt/point to slow it down? I like the simplicity of 10 yard increments, but I'm not sure if I want to sacrifice speed to get there. I don't plan on taking any 50 yard shots outside of target practice so this is more of a target shooting question.
sumner4991

Post by sumner4991 »

That's about the exact set-up I have. I'm shooting a slightly heavier bolt for hunting and I have to set my scope on the "5" of the 325 mark on the speed ring. The scope has no effect on your speed . . .your speed actually determines your scope setting. If your scope works perfectly at 330, then that's most likely your speed(unless the scope markings are wrong). The way I see it, doesn't matter what the speed dial says, if I'm hitting bullseyes at the lowest mark, then I like the results. From what you are saying, your scope works perfectly when it's set at 330 . . .if that's the case, then leave it on 330.

Happy shooting!

By the way, that's a great shot on the tree. 8)
I'd rather wear out than rust out.
Perception trumps intention.

2006 Exomax w/Agingcrossbower Custom Stock
20" Easton Powerbolts w/125gr Trophy Ridge Stricknines & 2"Blazers
Boo Custom Strings
2006 Vixen
DuckHunt

Post by DuckHunt »

I may have made it sound more confusing. My second arrow was within 3/4 of an inch of my first (set at 350) at 50 yards. Both arrows are about 4" high. Changing the number lower has proven results. Unfortunately I can't change it higher.

DuckHunt
jaybird

VariZone Exomax Question

Post by jaybird »

Once you have the shots grouping the way you like; 3/4 of an inch sounds like a good start,then you can sight in for point of impact.I found the easier way for me was to shoot off a bench rest just like sighting in a firearm.Start at 10 yards and shoot a bolt holding the crosshair on the bullseye as directed in the Varizone directions.The next thing I do is hold the scope on the bullseye and then turn the elevation and windage adjustment knobs until the top of the fine crosshair(the 10 yard aim point) is on the point of impact of your bolt.
Shoot another bolt holding on the bullseye,your bolt should be in the bullseye at this point. Now take a shot at 20 yards holding the crosshair dead center on the bullseye.You should be on the mark.
If you run out of adjustment on your elevation you will need to adjust the speed setting on the scope.Hope this helps.
Dumbazz

Post by Dumbazz »

Nice shot on the sapling you loser!!!!!

Hee Hee Hee,,,,,,,only kidding. :D :D

I used a picnic table as a backstop!!!!! First 2 shots were awesome. Not sure what I did on the 3rd!!!!!

When I first sighted in my bow, it was shooting awesome. I thought the fps dial on my varizone was like a power dial on a regular scope. So at 40 yards I cranked her up quite a bit.

Drove 3 more bolts over the target into the picnic table before I realized something wasn't quite right!!!

My buddies got quite a chuckle at this. Not sure what they found more funny though, me shooting bolts into the picnic table or me dryfiring my bow 3 different times.

I come by my name honestly!!!!

Image[/img]
Dumbazz

Post by Dumbazz »

It's one tough picnic table though. So far it has claimed 6 bolts, 2 field tips and a broadhead!!!! :lol:
vixenmaster

Post by vixenmaster »

Try turning your fps ring down to 300 fps and see how it hits. I always sight in at 20 yds. Then go up or down for 30 and 40.
Half Bubble Off BD360

[email protected] 417-505-9315
sumner4991

Post by sumner4991 »

OK . . .I'm with you now . . . try this, make sure your yardage is exactly measured. Are you using a rangefinder? If it's correct, then just keep the Varizone at 350 if you don't want to shoot a heavier bolt. You will just have to know your bow and where to aim to hit the bullseye at 50 yards, 40 yards, 30 yards . . .just like you know where to aim to hit at 33 yards. If you are shooting the bolt/set-up that came with the package, then you most likely are not shooting over 350 . . .at least not by much. You should be able to get your scope on target. But, to answer your question . . .there is no fix if you are shooting 360 FPS . . .you could have your speed checked to see if that's the issue. If it's not, then contact Dan Miller and see about getting the scope replaced.

Personally, I like the way the heavier bolt feels when it leaves the Max. The slight loss in speed isn't going to make a difference to the deer.

I like the faster/lighter bolts when target shooting. It's just fun to see those bolts "pop" the target. They have a little more vibration to them.
I'd rather wear out than rust out.
Perception trumps intention.

2006 Exomax w/Agingcrossbower Custom Stock
20" Easton Powerbolts w/125gr Trophy Ridge Stricknines & 2"Blazers
Boo Custom Strings
2006 Vixen
Pydpiper

Post by Pydpiper »

That poor little tree! :shock: Recently I put a broadhead through my camper, 2 walls and a toilet seat..

Just a reminder, that "speed ring" has absolutely no bearing or accuracy when it comes to the actual speed of your arrow. All the Vari/Lumi-Zone scope is is a typical zoom scope, only instead of showing the zoom power it shows numbers that should only be used as reference.
If you look through the scope and twist the zoom/speed dial you will see all it is doing is zooming in or out increasing or decreasing the space between the reticules.
If you are not willing to learn, nobody can help you, if you are willing, nobody can stop you.
A bowhunter with a passion for shooting firearms.
WMU 91
Boo string
bj

Post by bj »

sounds like you've got an exceptionally fast bow (350+++) and that's not unusual...try this...

- crank the dial to 350
- set the crosshair so that it is shooting about an inch low at 20 yards...i've had to do this with one other bow - if you can live with the 1" low at 20 yards, the rest of the markers will be extremely close at the balance of the yardages...

bj................
DuckHunt

Post by DuckHunt »

bj,
Thats exactly what I did. With my hunting locations in mind I sighted in the 30 yard marker to hit dead center.

Now I'm hitting:
20 yards: 1" low
30 yards: dead center
40 yards: 1" high
50 yards: ~1" high

I can live with those numbers. I can aim dead center and keep the bolt in a 3" circle well beyond 50 yards. My hunting shots are normally 25-30 yards so its perfect.

The first deer within 30 yards is gonna have a bad day.

DuckHunt
bj

Post by bj »

DuckHunt wrote:bj,
Thats exactly what I did. With my hunting locations in mind I sighted in the 30 yard marker to hit dead center.

Now I'm hitting:
20 yards: 1" low
30 yards: dead center
40 yards: 1" high
50 yards: ~1" high

I can live with those numbers. I can aim dead center and keep the bolt in a 3" circle well beyond 50 yards. My hunting shots are normally 25-30 yards so its perfect.

The first deer within 30 yards is gonna have a bad day.

DuckHunt
way to go.....go get em'.........