I love pass-throughs! (now with pic)

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

ninepointer

I love pass-throughs! (now with pic)

Post by ninepointer »

I shot a nice doe this evening :D . Slightly quartering away, complete pass-through, took out both lungs and nicked the liver. She only travelled about 50 yards. Just like the way its supposed to happen.

I needed this deer in a BIG way because previous 3 deer that I shot I was not able to recover :x . This really bothered me; so much that I was on the verge of taking a break from crossbow hunting.

The problem was with me. I'm a rifle hunter and I was having a hard shaking my rifle instincts. With a rifle I like a mid to high shoulder shot, which drops them on the spot, literally (its like somebody flicked off a switch). As a result, when the moment of truth arrived, my instincts would overide everything I know and I would put my bolt into the deer's shoulder: Twang, CRACK! :cry:

When today's shot presented itself, I told myself, "The shoulder is like armour, don't try to shoot through the armour. It worked.

Perhaps this is where some of today's more powerful crossbows have an advantage over my old Exocet 165, perhaps they are more forgiving of a hunter's mistakes when the bolt hits bone.

I have always been fussy about shot placement, but archery equipment sure takes precise shot placement to a whole new level. You sure gotta be patient.

I'm glad to be back on my horse! :D

Ninepointer

Last edited by ninepointer on Thu Oct 11, 2007 9:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Slick Trick 100 gr. Standard broadheads
Groundpounder Quiver Mount
TYE

Post by TYE »

Congrats!
XbowMisiu

Post by XbowMisiu »

Way to GO!! Ninepointer!
Good Job!
Darz Bór!
Farmer

Post by Farmer »

Congratulations .
Grizzly Adam

Post by Grizzly Adam »

Way to go! :D
Grizz
Normous

Post by Normous »

Nice doe for the table.
Congrats.
EXCALFFLICTION 1991 ->>----------> 2024
Matrix 355
Huskemaw and Leupold crossbow optics.
Boo Strings
SWAT BH's and TOTA heads.
Teach Your Family How To Hunt So You Don't Have To Hunt For Your Family
sumner4991

Post by sumner4991 »

Congratulations on the doe and the adjustment . . .especially the adjustment, those are never easy to make when it's "on the line".

Good job.
I'd rather wear out than rust out.
Perception trumps intention.

2006 Exomax w/Agingcrossbower Custom Stock
20" Easton Powerbolts w/125gr Trophy Ridge Stricknines & 2"Blazers
Boo Custom Strings
2006 Vixen
DanO

Post by DanO »

Congrats, Ninepointer! I can really relate to your concern. I shot high on a doe three days ago. I know I didn't touch her but it does make you a little more reluctant to shoot.

I'm looking at heavy cover and tough tracking if I do knock one down. Not just that but I don't see red very well.

Not to dismiss your concern but think about how many deer get injured in auto collisions each day. People seem to accept that as part of every day life.
If you're not part of the solution, you might be part of the problem.
Tar Heel

Post by Tar Heel »

Congrats ninepoint, it took me a long time to figure that you need to shootum low too.

Tar Heel
The old man from the mountain
ONLY8PTS

Post by ONLY8PTS »

Congrats on your quarry.
just one comment,even with a rifle I like to stay in the vitals area.less hemorrhage and damage in the meat.A lung shot is still good with a rifle.
ALWAYS GIVE THANKS FOR YOUR BOUNTY.
REMEMER, AIM SMALL.....MISS SMALL.
VORTEX,WITH RIGHT STUFF PKG.
ninepointer

Post by ninepointer »

ONLY8PTS wrote:Congrats on your quarry.
just one comment,even with a rifle I like to stay in the vitals area.less hemorrhage and damage in the meat.A lung shot is still good with a rifle.
Only8,

I know what you mean, I've been re-thinking the shoulder shot in general; there's a lot of good meat there. I was reminded of that as I was butchering my doe last night. :)

Good hunting,

Ninepointer
Slick Trick 100 gr. Standard broadheads
Groundpounder Quiver Mount
Grizzly Adam

Post by Grizzly Adam »

I rifle a lot of deer to death with my trusty old .30-'06 ... and usually use a double lung shot ... but they can go a long way sometimes!

Two years ago, I shot a big buck here through both lungs at about 200 yards ... he staggered, went into a wobbling run and fell out in 10 yards.

Days later, I shot a doe at the same distance with the same shot placement ... and she showed no sign of a hit and ran off about 100 yards back in the THICK THICK stuff ... briar and honeysuckle tangles laced with hurricane-felled trees! No fun dragging her. :?

The double lung does the least amount of meat damage for sure (none for me ... I don't do ribs and I like to eat the heart!) ... but they can run on you, and the initial bloodtrail isn't always the best.

If you don't care about the high foreshoulders, that high shoulder shot usually does drop 'em in their tracks. Neck shots do, too ... but they're tricky at long distances, and I avoid them.
Grizz
ecoaster

Post by ecoaster »

It is better to wait for the deer to give you the shot, then to make a poor shot and loose the deer, possibly to die slowly.
I hunt for memories, the meat's a bonus!
R.J.

Post by R.J. »

Congrat's .... sounds like a perfect shot !
See Ya. ... R.J. > " Remember , Trophies are measured by the time and energy expended to get them , not the size or quantity of the quarry "
taxman

Post by taxman »

im glad you stayed w/ the sport. remember to follow thru w/ your shot and try not to peek..nice harvest and good eating.