Tree Stands

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

Chris Jones

Tree Stands

Post by Chris Jones »

I just bought a climbing treestand and was wondering if you guys leave your climber treestands in the tree when your done hunting or take it down every time. I was hoping to leave it up in the tree and then just go up and down the tree with removable steps.

thanks for your input
Chris Jones

Excalibur Phoenix Crossbow
Vari-Zone Scope
Wasp BOSS SST Broadheads
Excel String
Grizzly Adam

Post by Grizzly Adam »

If you're going to do that, why not just use a hang-on instead? They're sure a lot cheaper!
Grizz
Kenton

Post by Kenton »

i like to put my stands in multiple trunk trees for cover. I use steps to get past the first split and then use the climber to ge the rest of the way up.
"You have reached the pinnacle of success as soon as you become uninterested in money, compliments, and publicity." - Eddie Rickenbacker, World War I pilot
Normous

Post by Normous »

Most of the time I lower and LOCK my climber if I plan on using it again soon. I also camoflage it with limbs. Too many dirt bag thiefs out there.
EXCALFFLICTION 1991 ->>----------> 2024
Matrix 355
Huskemaw and Leupold crossbow optics.
Boo Strings
SWAT BH's and TOTA heads.
Teach Your Family How To Hunt So You Don't Have To Hunt For Your Family
Andre Leblanc

Post by Andre Leblanc »

just like enormous, I lock my climbing stand. I use wiser locks that fit in the pin wholes. Once I have climbed the tree and am satisfied with the pin locations, I replace the pins with locks.
Andre Leblanc
Canoe Builder/Owner
North Bay Canoe and Kayak
www.nbcanoe.com
Equinox w/Lumi-zone Scope
XbowMisiu

Post by XbowMisiu »

My new climber is coming home with me every time... I take no chances.
Darz Bór!
NightTrain

Post by NightTrain »

My climber is 21lbs. I'll manage the weight and take her back to camp after every hunt.

I would suggest that nothing of value be left in the woods. Lock or no lock.
[img]http://i16.photobucket.com/albums/b15/lukebeaudry/ExcalSig.jpg[/img]
vixenmaster

Post by vixenmaster »

I have lost at least half a dz. climbing stands. They shoot the locks off and take them. They even get my ladder stands. Only one i have never lost is the chain-on i have locked to tree. I take the steps with me. Pain in the rear but only way i found to keep it.
Half Bubble Off BD360

[email protected] 417-505-9315
crazyfarmer

Post by crazyfarmer »

if someone wants a stand bad enough, they will just return with a bolt cutter lol.. thats why I normally only use hang on stands which cost 25-50bucks max.. plus since im tall, no one can ever seem to climb up my treesteps anyway. I like spacing my steps apart so that it only takes me 5-6 treesteps to get up 17ft LOL

but I think its kinda pointless to put treesteps in the tree to reach the climber? If you are sur eno one hunts your area then leave it, but if its in a place where you wont return for awhile or know people hunt I would take it down
Grizzly Adam

Post by Grizzly Adam »

Too bad you guys have to worry about stuff like that. Theft isn't unknown here, but it's mighty rare ... I have a ladder stand up in plain view of a public road that you could easily drive a pickup to ... it's been there for three years!

There is a smaller ladder stand on another farm down this same dead-end road that is only about five feet from the road ... the guy puts it there every year and leaves it there all season!

I'm glad we don't have to worry about it so much. I hope that don't change!
Grizz
DanO

Post by DanO »

I can think of at least 6 stands on public land that haven't moved in over 3 years. I personally don't think they should be allowed to reserve their spot year to year by leaving the stand up but more to the point they haven't been stolen. Must be alot of honest people in Zone 80.

Dan O.
If you're not part of the solution, you might be part of the problem.
Andre Leblanc

Post by Andre Leblanc »

Glad we don't have the theft problems in Northern Ontario. When you consider that I get in the stand before sunrise and climb out at last daylight with a small lunch break in between. Unless someone is walking the woods at night with night vision goggles... The same applies to our ATVs, no one touches them. I have a sign that I put on the ATV when I leave it at the hunt area that says "nice ATV eh! smile I can see you from my tree stand" There is a healthy respect for other hunters toys... don't mess with a silent but deadly bow hunter. 8)
Andre Leblanc
Canoe Builder/Owner
North Bay Canoe and Kayak
www.nbcanoe.com
Equinox w/Lumi-zone Scope