Live weight of a deer.

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

Dumbazz

Live weight of a deer.

Post by Dumbazz »

85 lbs of boneless meat from a buck I shot Friday night. Butcher says live weight would be about 3 times, which would make it 255 on the hoof.

Is this an accurate estimate???

Thanks.
I come by my name honestly.
Grizzly Adam

Post by Grizzly Adam »

Sounds about right. Head, hide, blood, guts, bone and waste weigh a lot more than most think.
Grizz
M&M

Post by M&M »

I have a book from north american hunting club its a wild game cook book and it has a chart in it that gives live weight, dressed weight and edible meat weight, by measuring the girth, and over the years its been pretty accurate and by the chart it says that if you have 85 pounds of edible meat your deer was 191 pounds live, a good sized deer. M&M
Dumbazz

Post by Dumbazz »

M&M wrote:I have a book from north american hunting club its a wild game cook book and it has a chart in it that gives live weight, dressed weight and edible meat weight, by measuring the girth, and over the years its been pretty accurate and by the chart it says that if you have 85 pounds of edible meat your deer was 191 pounds live, a good sized deer. M&M
Is that based on boneless meat?? Seems low to me?? Not arguing, just wondering. 106 pounds for guts, hide, head, legs, bones, etc??
Grizzly Adam

Post by Grizzly Adam »

It's not uncommon for people who take their deer to processors to wonder if they've been shorted ... I hear it all the time ... but I'd say if you ended up with 85 pounds of boneless, trimmed venison from a buck you did well. Remember that all the various formulas for estimating live weight are just that ... estimates. You can't know unless you hang it off a scales before gutting, and then you have to figure in lost blood!

Most butchers are honest people making a living ... remember that they do have to make a living, and that most of them process lots of deer. They can't be too painstaking with trimming if they're going to make a reasonable profit.

Once you've boned out a deer, you've still got a lot of whiteskin and sinew and such to trim out ... so even your boned meat loses weight in processing.

I think you did all right. :D

I do all my own butchering, and always have. I've never taken a deer to a processor, and I've butchered over a hundred ... that's the best way to know you've got the meat you've got coming! :)
Grizz
Farmer

Post by Farmer »

Here is a link that will help do a quick estimate of a butchered deer :

http://www.askthemeatman.com/estimate_deer_weight.htm
Dumbazz

Post by Dumbazz »

Actually, I got more meat than I anticipated. Along with a nice doe taken the freezer is officially full!!!!

Just trying to get an idea on how much the buck I shot weighed. 2 guys that I was hunting with said 225-250. Just curious, thats all.

DA

ps...bowhunting is completely new to me this year.
ninepointer

Post by ninepointer »

Grizzly Adam wrote:It's not uncommon for people who take their deer to processors to wonder if they've been shorted ... I hear it all the time ...
So true :lol: . For the first time, I just finished butchering and packaging a deer entirely on my own (I didn't want to bother my butcher on Thanksgiving). When I looked at the stack of meat when I was done, if I didn't know any better I would have thought that "the butcher" held back a few prime cuts for himself! LOL :lol: :lol:
Slick Trick 100 gr. Standard broadheads
Groundpounder Quiver Mount
ONLY8PTS

Post by ONLY8PTS »

I used to have a book, got lost at hunting camp,and it said that you get about 45% meat from a whitail.That's pretty close to what M&M says.I butcher my own so I don't waste much at all.
ALWAYS GIVE THANKS FOR YOUR BOUNTY.
REMEMER, AIM SMALL.....MISS SMALL.
VORTEX,WITH RIGHT STUFF PKG.
M&M

Post by M&M »

I believe the chart is for boned out edible meat, although I usually use just measure the girth of my deer and check it with the chart to get a reasonable idea of the deers live weight. M&M
vixenmaster

Post by vixenmaster »

I have Buckmaster 300 lb. scale right beside me and it gives Est. live wt. field dressed wt. and est. boneless meat wt. With 85 lbs. boneless meat, yer deer est. wt. on the hoof would be 146 lbs. My personal findings are abit different than this scales. I have found that boneless meat wt. would equal out to 43 percent of live wt. Yer deer should have weighed about 188 lb. Thats a good sized deer. My findings are based on my weighing 154 deer i have killed, field dressed and then boned out meat. Now mind you a deer 's neck and rib cage will only yield about 8 lbs. of meat off a large deer.
Half Bubble Off BD360

[email protected] 417-505-9315
Allan

Post by Allan »

Dumbazz

Post by Dumbazz »

Thanks for all the info. Being a new bowhunter, I am learning tons from this site.

This is the buck in question.

Rich

Post by Rich »

I agree with SPH, my calibrated eyeball has him at 180-190 pounds. Very nice deer regardless of the weight, and looks like you put an excellent hit on him.

Rich
Dumbazz

Post by Dumbazz »

Actually that is the exit hole. Entry was the a little further forward. He went about 75 yards into a very thick cedar bush and laid down.

Wasn't any blood for the first 15 yards then a few spots, leading to puddles, clot, etc.

For comparison, I'm 6'8", 250 lbs. :lol: