Knives

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

cubb

Knives

Post by cubb »

Hey guys, just wondering how you guys are sharpening your knives, are you using stones or lanskey type sharpeners? I need to sharpen my knife but i'm not too sure what to purchase?
Normous

Post by Normous »

Everyone with a dull knife asks me to sharpen it because my Lansky does an incredible job. Not hard to master because of the correct angle choices it gives you. The additional "Diamond Fine" stone is one I wouldn't do without.
EXCALFFLICTION 1991 ->>----------> 2024
Matrix 355
Huskemaw and Leupold crossbow optics.
Boo Strings
SWAT BH's and TOTA heads.
Teach Your Family How To Hunt So You Don't Have To Hunt For Your Family
cubb

Post by cubb »

I've done some searching on the site, and it seems lansky is the one that comes up as being easy to use and does a good job. Wondering if using just stones and a jig to get your angle right each time? I kinda like the traditional way of seeing it done? but I think it takes some time to master and it probably takes a little longer as well?
Hi5

Post by Hi5 »

The big thing is sharpening at a consistent angle, and an angle appropriate for a particular knofe. That's where using a jig makes life easier. It makes it possible to sharpen an edge, keeping the angle the same as when the knife was produced. That's the trick to easier sharpening.
"Gun Control Laws"--trying to nag criminals into submission.
cubb

Post by cubb »

Yes, that's what i've been finding out. I have two buck alpha hunters, ones a folder and the other is fixed. The folder is the one that i had last year, so it's not very sharp right now. Buck's website has a good tutorial on how to sharpen your knife.
Boo

Post by Boo »

I have a Lansky, crock sticks, Gatco, various diamond sharpeners but for touching up I like this one. http://www.g5outdoors.com/#sec_sportsman
Acutally I use it to keep my "Olfa" knives sharp when I am cutting string fibers.
I also like this one http://www.leevalley.com/wood/page.aspx ... at=1,43072

I think you have to find the one that works for you. I can't make some sharpeners work. I certainly can't sharpen free hand.
Some people just like stepping on rakes
Grizzly Adam

Post by Grizzly Adam »

Same thing I use for sharpening broadheads ... a high quality file.

I strop to remove the burr.

Shaves arm hair just fine.
Grizz
cubb

Post by cubb »

Is stroping a hard thing to learn and master. How much time do you guys spend on sharpening your knives?
Grizzly Adam

Post by Grizzly Adam »

It doesn't take a minute with a file. Files work fast because they remove lots of metal ... some see that as a con, but if your knives are so expensive you can't use them and wear them down with use, better keep them on a shelf!

A file will touch up a dull blade with only a few strokes per side.

Stropping is easy ... check the net for guidance! :D
Grizz
cubb

Post by cubb »

Ok, i don't think i would go the file method just for that reason, of taking alot of metal off, I'm a beginner?? there are so many different ways and opinnions that you pretty much have to try one way out and see if it works for you?? that's what i've been gathering! Thanks for the info guys
Farmer

Post by Farmer »

I use all of the above Lansky, Arkansas Stone and the file plus my new stropping machine. It is a 1/4 hp electric motor with an adapter that holds a sewn cloth wheel . I dress the wheel with black ebony and run the knife on the wheel to strope ( sp ? ) it . Knives are scary sharp when finished .
Last edited by Farmer on Sat Oct 13, 2007 6:34 am, edited 1 time in total.
just a feed boy

Post by just a feed boy »

I've have a gatco 3 diamond set $60 (similiar to lansky) and a strop and yellow stone $10 and no hair left on my arms, everything in my house is razor sharp and will shave hair.
exohuntr

Warthog sharpener

Post by exohuntr »

Try a warthog sharpener and you will never use anything else. I bought mine 4 years ago and it is one of the best purchases I have ever made. Do a search on it and you will see what I mean.
vixenmaster

Post by vixenmaster »

My main sharpner is Diamond Stone, EZ Lap
Half Bubble Off BD360

[email protected] 417-505-9315
Mike P

Re: Warthog sharpener

Post by Mike P »

exohuntr wrote:Try a warthog sharpener and you will never use anything else. I bought mine 4 years ago and it is one of the best purchases I have ever made. Do a search on it and you will see what I mean.
I agree 1000%! There is nothing that can compare with the warthog. I have had mine now for ten years. Prior to the Warthog, I think I tried every product out there, lanskys, gatco, etc.. etc... But nothing comes close to the Warthog.

They are made in South Africa and they are not cheap, around $90 US. Here is a link to the American distributor.

http://www.warthogsharp.com/