Ever empty your quiver in one deer hunt?

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

DuckHunt

Ever empty your quiver in one deer hunt?

Post by DuckHunt »

Today was a lot more interesting than yesterday. I sat in the same stand in hopes of seeing the doe and two young'uns that passed by at 7:30am yesterday. They didn't show up so at 9:00am I decided to get down and move my stand for the evening hunt. Then the fun began. I put away my rangefinder. I disconnected my harness. I put on my fanny pack. Crunch crunch. Deer! Here the three of them come and they were about 40 yards out. They walked down the same path and were about 25 yards away. I should have waited a little longer because they were still to my back left. I was concerned that the crossbow limb would hit the tree. I leaned out from the tree some (no harness, but I do have a shooting rail) for clearance and took the shot. THRACK. The crossbow limb hit the tree and tossed the arrow in the ground about a foot in front of the deer. No damage to the bow.

We're only getting started. The deer only went about ten steps and stopped. They are still in the 25-35 yard range but my bow isn't cocked. My rope cocker is in my jacket pocket, which is hidden by my fanny pack. I managed to work it out after what seemed like a minute of fumbling. Two of the deer were in some bushes but the other was still in the open enough to see me. With a shooting rail I had to put the entire crossbow over the rail to get it to my feet to cock it. I got it cocked as they started to depart. Dang it. The big doe left first. The only shot I had was at one of the little ones at about 35 yards. THWANG. CRACRACRAK. I wasn't sure if I had hit or not but it sounded odd. They ran a few steps then continued walking. I could tell I had missed because all three walked across an old logging road about 75 yards in front of my stand to go feed under a couple oaks about 90 yards away. I could still see them!

Time to get my stalk on. :)
I cocked my crossbow and loaded an arrow with a Spitfire since I am now fresh out of Rages. I climbed down the tree and started working my way toward the deer. I got my rangefinder back out. 60 yards. I keep slipping using all available cover. 50 yards. Wait! One of them is walking back out across the logging road. It is a small one. 40 yards. Arghhh! No comfortable shot. It did the slow walk and never stop trick. Then the other two start feeding toward the road but will cross farther down. I stalk forward another 10 yards keeping an eye on the first deer. Finally the big doe walks out into the road broadside at 40 yards feeding. THWANG. Good hit. Maybe a tad high, but a double lung hit anyway from arrow #3. Not bad for a freehanded shot.

I loaded arrow #4 and retreated back toward my stand to retrieve arrows #1 & 2. The first Rage has a few nicks from the rocky soil. It may be a loss. The second arrow hit a sapling in front of the deer. It must have bounced off a couple things because the arrow shaft was broken into in two places back near the fletching. The Rage head was the same as the first. It may be a loss.

Now to track my deer. I found blood almost immediately. Nice and bright red. I trailed it about 75 yards to the doe. While I was admiring her, I looked up and saw two deer about 50 yards out. Game on. :)

I started slipping toward them. One briefly presented a 40 yard shot but I passed. I moved in closer as they approached a thin shooting lane. WHEEEW. Another deer to my right I didn't see blew at me. I think there were a few actually. The lead doe stepped into the thin shooting lane and stopped. 38 yards. Once again freehanded...THWANG! CRACK! Within 50 yards of where it happened to me last season, a tree jumped in front of my arrow. :roll: I guess the shooting lane didn't have enough margin for error. The deer never moved.

I waved my hands and told them to 'Get the heck out of here'! I had to. I was out of arrows. :(

Here is the doe.

And here is an ugly quiver for only one hunt.
From the left:
1) Limb hit tree, shot in ground. Broadhead toast.
2) Bounced off limbs and or rocks. Broke shaft twice near fletching.
3) Shot into tree. Its shorter. I had to unscrew it from the broadhead.
4) The only arrow that left the woods serviceable was the one that killed a deer.

That was an interesting half hour.
DuckHunt
VixChix

Post by VixChix »

:shock: :shock: :shock:

WOW!!! That's a lot of action for on hunt! Congrats on the doe!!!
Vixen, Micro 315, HHA Optimizer, Boo & VixenMaster strings, Munch Mounts, Dr. Stirrup accessories.
wabi

Post by wabi »

Congrats on the doe!!!!!
Maybe you should get a 6 or 8 arrow quiver. :wink: :lol:
I carry a 6 arrow quiver with two arrows with blunts. Good for unloading, and you never know when a squirrel or chipmunk might attack! :shock:
wabi
vixenmaster

Post by vixenmaster »

Great story & pic. Congrats on Doe and hanging there til ya got one.
Half Bubble Off BD360

[email protected] 417-505-9315
ninepointer

Post by ninepointer »

The only thing better than deer hunting is the stories about deer hunting and your story is a great one! :) You will never forget that hunt. Congratulations on a nice doe. I would have been done after bolt #3.

Ninepointer
Slick Trick 100 gr. Standard broadheads
Groundpounder Quiver Mount
xbowking

Post by xbowking »

Very nice ,Congrats .
Tar Heel

Post by Tar Heel »

Congrats, great story and a nice deer.

Tar Heel
The old man from the mountain
Normous

Post by Normous »

Cangrats on that doe and story. I just took a look at my Quick 3 quiver attached to my Equinox next to me. I just hope.....
EXCALFFLICTION 1991 ->>----------> 2024
Matrix 355
Huskemaw and Leupold crossbow optics.
Boo Strings
SWAT BH's and TOTA heads.
Teach Your Family How To Hunt So You Don't Have To Hunt For Your Family
sumner4991

Post by sumner4991 »

Great story, congrats on the doe! I had to switch to a 6 bolt quiver. However, we probably can't afford a 6 bolt quiver. :lol: I just got back from a three and a half day hunt. I'll post pictures tomorrow and tell my story . . .I made a lot of mistakes. :cry:
I'd rather wear out than rust out.
Perception trumps intention.

2006 Exomax w/Agingcrossbower Custom Stock
20" Easton Powerbolts w/125gr Trophy Ridge Stricknines & 2"Blazers
Boo Custom Strings
2006 Vixen
LV2HNT

Post by LV2HNT »

Congrats on the doe and a very exciting day. I always used to carry six arrows when I was bow hunting. It kind of shocked me when I got my excal because the quiver only held four bolts. I replaced it with a hip quiver right away. I like not having the extra weight and mass on my xbow plus I can carry a bolt for turkey as well as what will hopefully be plenty for the deer.

I had a doe under my stand once when I was a kid that I shot at four times with no luck. :oops: She just kept feeding away with arrows sticking out of the ground all around her. I had one more arrow left plus my turkey arrow, but I figured that she was supposed to be alive for some reason or else I would have hit her. So I hung my bow back up and watched her untill she left.
A bad day in the woods is better than a good day anywhere else.
ecoaster

Post by ecoaster »

Sounds like fun :lol: . Good job nailing one of them anyway. :wink:
I hunt for memories, the meat's a bonus!