I was impressed

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

knobby

I was impressed

Post by knobby »

I bought an Exocet last year in hopes of getting a non-hunting buddy out during Ohio's archery season. Well he never made it out...not even to practice.

So I have this barely used Exocet and a dozen GT II's I made up for it.

I got it out...fired some practice shots...got it the Varizone scope sighted in at 20 yards. Dialed the scope to the '2' in 325 fps and shot some more shots moving back to 30/40/50 yards. They all hit slightly low so I figure the bow is not shooting quite fast enough for that setting. I dialed the scope to a slightly slower setting and all was good.

Now I was ready to try broadheads so I screwed on one of my Strikers. I shot a shot at 20...then 30...then 40...and 50 yards. Darn near got the center of a 3" bullseye every shot. I did not see any visible difference between field points and Strikers.

I think my Hoyt V-Tec might stay in the case this year as a backup while I carry the Xbow. Why? Because I can lol...and it will be a new experience hunting and hopefully taking a couple deer with a Xbow.

Except on my trip to WV...I guess I will have to use the Vtec there since they do not allow Xbows.
jay73

Post by jay73 »

Careful Knobby, you may just never want to put that thing down. :wink:

Jay
vixenmaster

Post by vixenmaster »

Yup these Excals just get inside of ya. I used mine all except about 10 days last year during rifle season. If i get couple more deer in the freezer i will use it all deer season. :D
Half Bubble Off BD360

[email protected] 417-505-9315
knobby

Post by knobby »

well the Exocet scored its first points last evening...

I did something I told myself I would never to. I bought some $50 deer pee. You know the 'fresh stuff'. It was collected from a doe in heat and mailed to me with ice packs. I'd say it was about 2 days from deer to my door. and it was almost $50 for 7oz of pee....not too bad I guess if you consider lotsa stores sell ONE oz bottles for $10

I went out and made a mock scrape near my stand. I put in some doe in heat and a little fresh buck urine.

Near the end of the day 4 deer come out into a wheat field maybe 225 yards away. I pulled out my binoculars...thats a buck...thats a buck...thats a buck...wow theyre all bucks. Which is strange this time of year. They were all pretty small.

Well these 4 bucks are downwind of me and my scrape. They took turns doin some aggressive sparring....testing the wind and feeding. All the while they were steadily moving straight towards me. They did not come running to me....it was more slow and deliberate. But I really think they were coming to that fresh scent. Who knows maybe they would have come to me anyway.

The whole time I was watching them in my binoculars I was thinking to myself that none of them were big enough to shoot.

Well....one of the bigger ones walked into my best shooting lane....20 yards away....and stood there.

My mouth watering with desire to try out the Exocet.... this little buck picked the wrong day walk near me... haha

definately a little guy for my area.....but I couldnt resist.
VixChix

Post by VixChix »

You had an exciting evening! Congrats!!!!
Vixen, Micro 315, HHA Optimizer, Boo & VixenMaster strings, Munch Mounts, Dr. Stirrup accessories.
Doe Master
Site Admin

Post by Doe Master »

Congrats on your first x-bow harvest.The funny thing about antlers is you can boil them and boil them but they still taste like bone. :lol:
Farmer

Post by Farmer »

Hard to beat an Excalibur . Hope to see more pics of deer you take with the Exocet .
vixenmaster

Post by vixenmaster »

Congrats on the nice Buck.
Half Bubble Off BD360

[email protected] 417-505-9315
Rich

Post by Rich »

Knobby,

If the does do not go into estrus until early November (VA), how do you get fresh estrus now. I asked this question when I bought a bottle at the Richmond Show and was told they keep the does in controlled lighting atmosphere to bring them into estrus. Has anyone else heard this.

Rich