O/T Almost ripped off!!!!

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

raydaughety

O/T Almost ripped off!!!!

Post by raydaughety »

Took my 96 Dodge 4X4 hunting truck in for service and the guy came into the lobby and asked if I noticed a noise and I agreed, it started a couple of weeks ago. He took a long stethoscope, went under the truck, came back out and told me that my main bearings were gone and that the crankshaft was going to go any day. He recommended a complete rebuild because of the miles( 112,000 ). I talked it over with Tina and we agreed that it was such a good truck and we got a great deal on it that we'd go ahead with the rebuild. The quote was $2,700.00 :shock: I ran into Uncle Ellis on the hunting club on monday and when I pulled up he said " when you gonna put a water pump on that truck? I told him that it wasn't the water pump, it was the main bearings. He got out of his truck with the ramrod from his muzzleloader and slid under the truck and told me to set the brake and crank her up. He listened to the oil pan and this and that, told me to raise the hood where he kept poking and listening to the end of that ramrod. He gave me the shut her down signal, reached under the hood, grabbed the fan blades and that thing was flopping around like a fish out of water. He winked at me and said " water pump and fan clutch " $250.00 max. I took it to "his" mechanic and 2 hours later she was quiet as a mouse :D and the bill was $212.00. I'm not sure what I want to say to the other guy yet :evil:. Had it not been for Uncle Ellis, I would have went with a rebuild that I didn't need. Makes you wonder how many people this actually happens to. :oops: Sorry for the long O/T post.

God Bless
God Bless !!!!!!!!!

Ray
BigUgly

Post by BigUgly »

And I bet you wouldn't have got a discount when you took it back to get the real problem fixed! :twisted:
Farmer

Post by Farmer »

That is why I learned along time ago to do my own wrenching ---- There were a few so called mechanics that tried to give me a line of balloon juice just like they tried to pull on you . It is too bad there are people like that :cry: :cry:
Golden Eagle

Post by Golden Eagle »

I am so lucky to have my old childhood friend as my mechanic. He is totally fair and always cuts me a break. Of course it works both ways and I help him out with the some Home Mtce. projects. I hear horror stories from people at work all the time. Glad all worked out OK.
Last edited by Golden Eagle on Tue Oct 16, 2007 8:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ecoaster

Post by ecoaster »

Number one reason we bought a Honda car with the extended warranty (7 yrs in total). As for my truck, work owns that and they tell me to drive it until it falls apart, so that's what I do. Saw our equipment guy shopping on the net for new trucks today and he was peeking at the Toyota Tundra :D.

Always good to get a second opinion Ray, especially with a quote like that. Saving all that money will buy a real sturdy rattler stick!!!
I hunt for memories, the meat's a bonus!
raydaughety

Post by raydaughety »

Before I got hurt, I did most of my own maintenance. The weird thing is, it actually did sound like a bearing in the engine but the fact that he went through the truck with that stethoscope really made me believe that he knew what he was doing. Uncle Ellis retired from MCAS Cherry Point as a motor pool maintenance supervisor for over 30 years and pretty much knows what he's talking about. I guess I'm getting slack in my old age. I'm just grateful that things turned out the way that they did. What's wrong with people now a days? I just don't get it. I'm used to trusting folks to much I guess, but that's just me.
God Bless !!!!!!!!!

Ray
wabi

Post by wabi »

My wife took her car in for a wheel alignment today and right off they noticed a problem. The mechanic who usually works on it couldn't find the source of a popping noise she's been hearing. The mechanic at the tire shop put it up on the hoist and right away told her she had a problem that needed attention - both rear (coil) springs are broken! So much for the popping noise that couldn't be found. :roll:
I have a feeling we may be using another mechanic in the future. :wink:
wabi
Cossack

Post by Cossack »

There is a local tire store (Tires Plus) that finds something wrong every time I go in for the "free" rotation. They clipped me for brakes on my truck but I wised up when the suggested my wife's car needed them too. It was still under warrenty, the dealer checked them out and found nothing wrong. By sheer coincidence they gave the same speal to the guy that came in while I was waiting for mine. I'm taking my business elsewhere.
diesel

Post by diesel »

Sorry to say I hear of that happening allthe time. I'm a mechanic and rebuild fuel injection pumps for diesel engines . Most of my time is spent on the phone helping other mechanics fix their problems.
We get many pumps in here and are told to rebuild them. We take them all apart cvlean them and give estimates and advise the customer what we have found. I would say 25% of the pumps we over haul the customer s problem was eles where. It very sad what people get told sometimes, but on the other hand it can be hard to find the proble and be correct all the time.
I have a friend that is a teacher she took her car to the dealer for a noise and was told the engine was going out $3500.00 and wanted her to leave the car and take their rental. She then went to anonther shop they told her the engine was ok but she needed a new a/c unit would cost $1200.00 . I looked at it and put a new compressor clutch on it for $45.00 .
If any of you own a Diesel and have power problems, engine smoking, missing, surging ect... please pm me. There are many things to try before you remove the fuel pump.
Larry
raydaughety

Post by raydaughety »

I took the Dodge back to the so called mechanic. When I walked in he asked if I was ready to get it done and I asked him to come outside. I asked again, " are you sure that's what it is" and he said "definitely" :twisted: . I reached in, touched the key and she fired up. The only noise you could hear was the rumble of the flowmasters. He say's hum, what did you do, put some 20-50 oil in it? I said no I had a water pump put on it. The look on his face was priceless. This crackhead told me that because I "just asked" about the noise and didn't give him ample time do go through the truck thoroughly and give an accurate diagnosis. :shock: WHAT, you mean to tell me that if my wife comes in with squeaking brakes your going to tell her the engine needs to be overhauled until you take your time and figure out that it only needs pads.I really feel sorry for those that have fallen prey to this !^%#@$*)&. If I were a different man, I'da shown him what for :twisted:

OK, I'm over it. Good night and God Bless.
God Bless !!!!!!!!!

Ray
LV2HNT

Post by LV2HNT »

Glad it all worked out for you Ray. I have seen this kind of thing happen more times than I can remember. Infact I dread the day that my truck breaks down because I know I will probably get screwed one way or another. It has happened to almost everyone I know atleast once and all the time to some. The problem is that you never actualy know if the mechanic is intentionaly trying to rip you off or if he is just an idiot. All buisnesses have employees who don't know what they are doing and auto mechanics are probably near the top of the list. Cars are so complicated these days that a person, in my mind, would have to attend about as much school and training as a doctor to become efficiant. Plus the learning never stops because carmakers are forever trying to make their products more complicated and therefore more profitable.

I think you should report this guy to the Better Buisness Bureau and try consulting with them to find a reputable mechanic to go to for now on. Either that or talk to friends to see where they go. I have found two good places in my area. One was refered to me by a coworker. It is run by a guy who spent his career working for ford and started his own place with his kids after he retired. The other is a place that my friend who is a mechanic referred me to because he has no interest in working on fords or working on anything that isn't his, in his spare time. I can't blame him one bit.
A bad day in the woods is better than a good day anywhere else.
Horizontal Hunter

Post by Horizontal Hunter »

Ray,

I am glad that you found out what it really was before you were "taken to the bank" so to speak. It was either done on purpose or through ignorance. If it was on purpose his turn will come as life runs full circle. If it was done through ignorance. I can't imagine how long his rebuilt wouls last. Either way you saved yourself some money and probably a bunch of trouble and aggravation.

Better yet it leaves you more time to get out in the woods with Tyler.

Bob
Vegetarian: vejiˈte(ə)rēən/noun: old Indian word for lousy hunter.
Excalibur Exocet, GT Laser II, 2" Bhoning Blazers 125g NAP Spitfire
taxman

Post by taxman »

i can really feel for you guys. about 18 months ago, i was sold a "new brake job" by the local Tire King for my 01 ford expedition. isnt it funny how the "job"came to exactly, $1500.00? i was in a jam(had to leave next day for funeral and had passengers) but alas, i have a lifetime warranty(which im sure wont be free). i have never been back to that place since. i got hosed by a salesman-not a real mechanic. now i know first hand how much they make($) in commissions. this still burns me to this day. its funny how i still remember taking out 15 $100 dollar bills and counting it out to the crooks. some things you dont forget.
BigTiny

Post by BigTiny »

I had a guy tell me once that I needed new CV joints on my truck. It was when I was working undercover and I looked like a biker. Why the guy thought he could pull a stunt like that I'll never know. If he had tried that with the people I was "hanging out" with, parts of him would be in a jar somewhere.

I had him write out a ticket for the repair complete with the description of the truck and told him I had to go get the cash. When I left, I went straight to the local PD and let them know. They had a municipal charge called "Larceny by Trick" that covered what he was doing.
marmot

Post by marmot »

I purchased a used 2001 Ford Escape three years ago after driving a Honda Accord as my primary vehicle for thirteen years. Man, compared to my Accord, this vehicle is a piece of crap. The bolts on the AC compressor sheared off. The master cylinder blew out. The lower control arms, tie-rods, and sway-bar links did not make it to 90K miles. I had to replace one of the spark plug coils at 80K miles when I replaced all of the plugs and wires because cylinder #2 was misfiring. The cruise control stopped working before 80K miles. The coolant reservoir sensor shorted out at around 50K, and I just had to run with the Idle Air Control (IAC) valve yesterday. I mounted a full attack on it with carburetor cleaner and an old toothbrush last night, and that seemed to do the trick. However, there is a tech bulletin that states that the IAC should be replaced with a revised part along with the Evaporative Vapor Management (EVAPMN) valve, Mass Air Flow (MAF) sensor, and the DPFE sensor (I replaced the DPFE sensor last year). Additionally, I may have to replace the Power Control Module (PCM) because the early component is not re-programmable.

I will never purchase another Ford vehicle as long as I live. The Escape has truly been a “Fix Or Repair Daily” vehicle. I have my fingers crossed because the transmission on the Escape tends to pileup at around 90K. There is zero doubt in my mind why Ford is having financial troubles. I want to escape from my Escape.