Wild pig shot placemnt

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

mchurch

Wild pig shot placemnt

Post by mchurch »

I have decided to take my brother wild pig hunting with a guide with my equinox. Neither of us have ever hunted pigs before. I have heard that the shoulder blade can stop an arrow? Can it do this with the power of the equinox? How far back from the shoulder is far enough to miss the blade? Can I expect a complete pass through? What is the best shot?
hawg hunter

wild pigs

Post by hawg hunter »

Wild hawgs can be some of the toughest animals there are to hunt in North america. They are often referred to as the poor mans grizzly bear. But just like the "griz" they can be taken with good shot placement. As far as power you can kill with any of the crossbows that excal makes. A good strong BH such as G5 and Slicks will do the job, the heaiver the bolt the better penetration.
Hawgs vitals are lower in the body than that of a deer, they have huge lungs.a broadside shot is good but a quartering away shot in my opinion is better. Why? First you have to understand that most wild boars fight to keep their harems, they have a layer of grissle that cover the shoulder and about half way down the rib cage. I've seen many differnt bullets stopped by this shield. Shoot about the third rib back angling to the front of the offside shoulder. You usually get the liver, heart, and lungs. Maybe a pass through if you don't hit the offside shoulder blade.
BUCKSHOT

Hey

Post by BUCKSHOT »

A visual of the anatomy for you!

Good fortune to ya' both, enjoy the Pork Chops.
Enjoy the Harvest!
Farmer

Post by Farmer »

I have killed a few myself as already stated the 1/4 ing shot is my favorite . A sturdy / sharp broadhead and proper placement will drop them every time.
tuskntine

Post by tuskntine »

As accurate as Excal's are if you have a broadside shot , shoot him behind the ear. Just kidding. But good luck , they don't stand still very long .
Love your neighbor, but keep your guns oiled.
Woody Williams

Post by Woody Williams »

Here is another one for you..

Woody Williams

We have met the enemy and he is us - Pogo Possum

Hunting in Indiana at [size=84][color=Red][b][url=http://huntingindiana.proboards52.com]HUNT-INDIANA[/url][/b][/color][/size]