Pimp by bow...

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

Dumbazz

Pimp by bow...

Post by Dumbazz »

Once again, new to this game.

Looking for ideas/suggestions to better my rig.

Shooting a Phoenix as it comes from the factory. Varizone scope, 2216 bolts with 100 grain wasp boss bh's, factroy excal quiver.

Ways to make it faster? Quieter?? Better??

Thanks in advance.
I come by my name honestly.
Normous

Post by Normous »

Use the search key at the top.
18 hours of info.
EXCALFFLICTION 1991 ->>----------> 2024
Matrix 355
Huskemaw and Leupold crossbow optics.
Boo Strings
SWAT BH's and TOTA heads.
Teach Your Family How To Hunt So You Don't Have To Hunt For Your Family
wabi

Post by wabi »

Not trying to be a smart a**, but you should concentrate on making yourself better first in most cases. In other words get out and and practice - practice -practice! Shoot until the crossbow is an extention of your body & mind. Once you are thoroughly familiar with it and it's accuracy potential - THEN look for ways to modify & improve it's performance.
I've been shooting Excaliburs for several years now and I shoot a Phoenix with a TenPoint Pro-View scope (the lumi-zone wasn't available when I bought the Pro-View), dacron string (like the new bow now comes with), and 2215 aluminum arrows (I custom make my own). Only modification I made to the bow was to remove the DBs (requires new shorter screws & cone washers) so I don't have to fool around with pads if I remove the string for a few days. I use a Dan Miller quiver mount for a bow quiver, or a (presently using this option) hip quiver. I shoot G-5 Montec broadheads now. (After killing a button buck this weekend and having a mechanical fail to open - got lucky and still killed him quickly (heart shot).
What you have should work fine, but as you gain experience you may want to change a few items (like the quiver) to make it fit your personal style better.
wabi
Cossack

Post by Cossack »

Practice does make perfect. It's amazing how many visitors pick up a x bow and expect to hit the target. Most flinch ("man, it heavy, but don't recoil") and seldom come very close on first shot.
I try to shoot my Vortex every day several months prior to season and have made some changes to my gear that help me shoot better. Gold Tip Lazer II bolts with 110 gr brass inserts and 2" Blazer vanes. Flemish string. 100 gr Magnum Slick Tricks, LumiZone scope tuned to my bow speed out to 50 yards.
This rig is so accurate that a dime at 30 yards, rested, is little challenge. Still, I keep my shots under 30 and pass on marginal presentation, looking for double-lunger whenever possible.
Watch your brace hight, use the same kind of bolts for practice and hunting and practice, practice, practice (preferably from hunting positions) so you know your trigger pull intimately.
vixenmaster

Post by vixenmaster »

I made my Miss Vixen, quieter! Its much slower now. It shoots about 270 fps with 2213's at 340grs. Then i built slugged 2213 logs with pt. or B'head weighs 560grs. Next year i will go with the NAP Spitfire 170's on 2219's!
Half Bubble Off BD360

[email protected] 417-505-9315