Doe Down!

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

Galgo

Doe Down!

Post by Galgo »

Got my first doe of the season yesterday. I went out in the pouring rain in the morning becasue I find it hard to shoot deer in bed and I wanted to try out some new rain gear before the gun hunt. Sat down at 6:15 am and man was it pouring - so hard I did up all the flaps in the blind leaving only 6 inch slits so I wouldn't get soaked. At 7:15 there was enough light to check out my scope and clean some of the fog and rain off it. At 7:36 this yearling doe "appears" at 30 yards. Now to get there she had to cross two shooting lanes but I never saw her until she was right there. I raised my excocet scope and she was gone. Then i looked again and she was there. So I put the 30 pin on her and waited till she turned broadside. She did and I squeezed one off and "whack" a nice sounding hit. She did a 180 and ran back toward the shooting lane she came from but never went thru it - meaning she didn't make it 20 yards or she just vanished. I gave her 15 min then, worried about tracking in the rain, I went after her. She was down 17 yards from where I hit her - double lung shot. Thanks Excalibur.

Here's the drag out:

Now here's something I figured out after...the reason why she disappeared: I made a mock scrape at the biginning of the season and put some buck pee in it. It got really hit hard right away so I made another scrape 20 yards away and decided to experiment a bit by draining MY bladder into it. I know I'll get some heat for this but I thought, what the hell - might as well experiment. Well the reason why she vanished was because she squatted down in my pee scrape and relieved herself in it. She was on her way to the buck pee scrape when she met up with my broadhead. I know allot of people with disagree with doing that but I thought I should pass along what worked for me.

F
sumner4991

Post by sumner4991 »

Congrats on that fine looking doe. What are you drinking?
I'd rather wear out than rust out.
Perception trumps intention.

2006 Exomax w/Agingcrossbower Custom Stock
20" Easton Powerbolts w/125gr Trophy Ridge Stricknines & 2"Blazers
Boo Custom Strings
2006 Vixen
Galgo

Post by Galgo »

sumner4991 wrote:Congrats on that fine looking doe. What are you drinking?
:lol: :lol: Just eat a couple apples every morning before going out
ninepointer

Post by ninepointer »

Good job, congratulations! :D

From the look of that wound, you just missed a shoulder blade. I am paranoid about shoulder blades. They are like armour :roll:
Slick Trick 100 gr. Standard broadheads
Groundpounder Quiver Mount
Galgo

Post by Galgo »

ninepointer wrote:Good job, congratulations! :D

From the look of that wound, you just missed a shoulder blade. I am paranoid about shoulder blades. They are like armour :roll:
Yup it was just behind the shoulder, very slight quartering to. Just a couple of inches high but I ain't complainin :D
VixChix

Post by VixChix »

Congrats on the doe! Good for you getting up and hunting in the rain too!
Galgo wrote: :lol: :lol: Just eat a couple apples every morning before going out
Like you, I found that deer were attracted to where I went - I make a point of eating apples when I'm out hunting.
Vixen, Micro 315, HHA Optimizer, Boo & VixenMaster strings, Munch Mounts, Dr. Stirrup accessories.
vixenmaster

Post by vixenmaster »

Congrats nice Doe and good hunting blind and spot!
Half Bubble Off BD360

[email protected] 417-505-9315