Another Big Buck Out of Range

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

MG

Another Big Buck Out of Range

Post by MG »

Tonite was the second time this year I've seen a real big buck just out of range. I've got a couple of stands I hunt, and from one stand I saw a huge buck on October 11, he was just out of range about 45 yards so I was forced to pass on him. A few days later coming into this stand I spooked what I think was this buck. I hunted this stand about 4-5 more times, all evening hunts, hoping to see this buck again and never saw any deer at all. I left this stand for about 10 days and went back tonite. At about 10 after 6 I saw a set of antlers in the field about 60 yards south of me, I nearly fell outta my stand! Another massive buck, but again I could not bring him any closer than 50 yards. Frustrating. I grunted and he looked over right at me, but eventually went back to feeding and slowly moving west across the field. I waited about a minute and grunted twice more and again he looked but this time he paid even less attention. After this he moved quickly across the field and back into the woods. I dont know what I gotta do to bring these guys into range. I figured with it being the rut bucks would be responding to grunting but this guy was un- interested. I think tomorrow if the wind is right I may try to hunt from the ground near what appears to be this buck's travel route. Maybe I should try a decoy? Estrous? I havent used either before just wondering if anyone else is using either of these to bring in deer and how well they work.
Carnivorous

Post by Carnivorous »

This is why I prefer yo hunt on the ground. Sounds like an oportunity for a spot & stalk...
A touch of frost has heightened your awareness and your heart steadily beats in anticipation. Your senses are suddenly alert to the movement on the forest floor and you realize that the moment of truth is at hand.
kevin

Post by kevin »

Good luck on a big buck. I spotted a big one in August while groundhog hunting and recieved permission to bowhunt there for myself and my uncle. I put up 2 cheap ladder stands for my uncle in Sept. He's seen him twice in 8 hunt's a little to far out 30-40 yards. He said he's never seen a deer that big :lol: He has a Bullwincle rack, very wide and flat with tall tines heavy beamed 10 with stickers.

I've taken one big Doe off that property this season and passed on quite a few smaller Buck's.

I have a couple other lease properties to hunt with my regular partner though.

I'll try a estrus drag Saturday morning for him and see if my Uncle can connect. He's one of the top Buck's I've seen in my life. I even bought a trail cam try'n to get his old bones on a photo :wink: only little Buck's and Does on 28 pictures so far :cry:
my member name used to be kev until I changed my e-mail. member oct. 18, 2003
crazyfarmer

Post by crazyfarmer »

Ive had 2 nice 8's about 65 yards out twice also.. but ML season comes in saturday here so that helps;)

just dont give up, thats hunting :lol:
LV2HNT

Post by LV2HNT »

I've seen at least one big buck every day I have gone out, for five days straight now. Every time, I never had a clean shot or they were out of range. It is agrivating for sure but luck has to work in my favor eventualy. I concider myself fortunate to even see that many nice bucks in such a short time though, so I am happy for that.

I would try making a mock scrape by my stand to get him to come by and see that there is another buck working his territory. Then I would go out a few days later to set up a decoy with estrous and wait. Good luck, I hope you get him.
A bad day in the woods is better than a good day anywhere else.