doghouse blind

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

Stosh

doghouse blind

Post by Stosh »

Deer just seem to know something is not right. any ideas? had a couple come from behind me, man they started snorting to beat the band. I have it against a hemlock so it has some back ground.

Thanks, Stosh
Golden Eagle

Post by Golden Eagle »

I hunt out of mine on the rainy evenings . The buck stay out 15 or 20 yards but I have had Doe 4 yards out. Mine is in a briary area with tree cover. Has maybe the wind been variable instead of a brisk 1 direction wind where they can bust you?
Brampton Mike

Post by Brampton Mike »

:lol: I too use the doghouse and last shotgun season I had 2 does about 10 feet from me...one shot I could l of dropped them both as they were broadside to me standing side by side but I didn't want to burn off 2 tags 2 hours into the controlled hunt! :wink: Brampton Mike 8)
If I can't hunt & fish in heaven....then I don't want to go!!!!!!!!!!

Vegetarian..............old Indian word for lousy hunter!
raydaughety

Post by raydaughety »

I hear ya Stosh, I've been busted to many times out of mine :evil: . Check out this thread:

http://www.excaliburcrossbow.com/phpBB2 ... hp?t=19836

As Bob said, the penthouse is a much larger blind and it won't break the bank, but you'd still have to deal with the glare problem. I think I might break the bank and go for the Double Bull Matrix :shock: Any one know where I can get one for less than $400.00?
God Bless !!!!!!!!!

Ray
Staghunter

Post by Staghunter »

Hey! I have already posted for Raydaughty that it is very important (to me anyway) to get the glare of your blind by mudding it. If you have done this and the deer still spook try leaving the blind there or something that has a similar shape. Also this has worked for me! Try camoflaging the blind with natural foliage. That hemlock your up against is a good start if you can clip some branches off it! My all time favorite is cedar because it covers well and last almost all season after its been cut. It also helps to cover your scent! Lastly! I agree with always buying quality equipment and sometimes quality doesn't mean big bucks(no pun intended)!! All in all, it's nice too have a big fancy shelter I agree! But, nothing beats natural cover! Good luck!! SH

P.S. Maybe I should use my F150 FX4 finished in pearl shiny blue and chrome as a blind!!!! I had a nice ten rack standing beside the road scraping and even after I stopped to take a look at him he didn't care less!!! He was 60 - 80 yards away from me!!! He didn't bolt until I opened the door to exit the truck trying to get a better picture of him!! SOB!!! :evil:
DanO

Post by DanO »

These blinds are on sale this week in a Bass Pro Flyer (S. Ont). Is the smaller blind adequate or is the Penthouse required for space.?

Dan O.
If you're not part of the solution, you might be part of the problem.
raydaughety

Post by raydaughety »

Dano, the doghouse is fine for 1 person, but I've been hunting out of one with my son. A little tight with the 2 of us.
God Bless !!!!!!!!!

Ray
frydaddy

fix it

Post by frydaddy »

:) Brush that thing in good and that might take care of that. But it is best if you can set them up way ahead of time. The deer get us to them. I do some guided hunts in ga. and i put my blinds out two weeks before thay are hunted. I us the brickhouse 360, thay very good blinds for the money. Frydaddy :)
Galgo

Post by Galgo »

Here is my set up. It is surrounded on three sides by cedars. The deer definitely know that it's there - most don't care some are weary. Taken three deer from it in two (one and a half) seasons so far. Both seasons I've had deer inside 5 yards. Hope this helps.

Stosh

Post by Stosh »

Well its like this, i hunt on public land, cant beleive so many so called sportsman are thiefs, took my ladder stand 3 weeks ago. So cannot leave it out. There was no wind when I got busted, So far about 5 times this season. The deer dont run away, they just look and look and then make a u turn. I am buying some fabric paint and am going to paint it so it looks like trees. will let you know how it works out.

A hint for blind hunters.
My fiberglas poles split, out of warranty, If you get a roll of fiberglas electrical tape, wrap it tight 1/2 inch below the aluminum ferrel, then slide a piece of 1/2 inch shrink tubeing over it, it fixes it very well, I put the shrink tube right against the ferrel
raydaughety

Post by raydaughety »

My blind is 3 years ago and I broke one of my poles. I called Ameristep and they send me a new pole at no charge.
God Bless !!!!!!!!!

Ray