Custom strings - how good is Boo's strings?

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

wabi

Custom strings - how good is Boo's strings?

Post by wabi »

As many of you have heard me mention, I make my own strings and have been doing so for many years (actually decades, but who's counting?). I do not make them for sale as I just don't have the time, but I do have quite a bit of experience in stringmaking. I have made both endless loop and flemish twist strings and I will admit the flemish twist can be a challenge when it comes to uniformity. For that reason I make most of mine endless loop just because it's quicker, easier, and the string to string uniformity is more consistant.
What I'm leading up to is the fact I've heard so much praise about Boo's strings I decided to order one to see just how good they are. I've had other custom strings over the years (for my trad bows & crossbow) and usually they were good, but similar to something I could make for myself.

Well, I ordered a string from Boo and got it today. I opened the package and the quality was immediately apparent. Very well made, and the catwhiskers I ordered installed were very well done. I put it on my Phoenix and noticed the serving was perfectly centered and the catwhiskers were evenly spaced - a sign Boo is very particular with his work. Also noticed the string loops were both the same size, and just the right size to go on fairly easily, but not slip off when fired.
OK - so far it looks like he is worthy of the title "stringmaker", and perhaps even "craftsman" or "master", but let's head to the range and see how this thing holds up..............
I set the brace height right at the top line (max) by simply putting the string on the bow. If I remember correctly Boo pre-stretches his strings, so he had the length exactly where it should be. I took it to the range and shot 4 series of 6 arrows each. The brace height only dropped about the thickness of the serving (1/8"? +/-) which is unusual for a new flemish twist string. It usually drops more than that with the first few shots! The center serving showed absolutely no wear or flattening from the "claws" which is also usually showing up after that many shots, and no seperation at all!!!!!!!!!!! Also would like point out the advantage of the catwhiskers on a string. Instead of the usual "TWAAAAAAAAAAANG" it's more of a dull "thud" and I would point out I don't use DBs on my crossbow. I use catwhiskers on my dacron endless loop strings and the noise level was very similar. Still a "thud", but the sound of the arrow smacking the target seems louder. Speed is very close to my endless loop dacron string and I didn't have to adjust my scope to still be shooting 1" groups right in the bullseye at 35 yards. (I use a TenPoint Pro-View scope for a 300 fps crossbow and have it sighted for 15-25-35 yards)

Didn't have time to shoot more today, but I left Boo's string on the Phoenix and plan to hunt with it for a while. Now all I need is a deer to cooperate in the real test of speed, noise, and accuracy. :lol:

I must say Boo's string is not just another string, but more a work of art by a true master. If you have thought about getting a Boo string, but had doubts about, "how much better than a commercial string can it be?" let me tell you there is a lot of difference! If my initial shooting is a good indication this string should outlast any other string I've ever used, including my own endless loop dacron strings.

HATS OFF to you Boo!!!! I'm impressed!!!!!!!!
wabi
Pydpiper

Post by Pydpiper »

Boo who?

Well said wabi, it's pretty cool how the whole thing gets quieter. I am absolutely paranoid about string creep, I have had to twist my string one half of a turn this whole season, and that was in the beginning.
If you are not willing to learn, nobody can help you, if you are willing, nobody can stop you.
A bowhunter with a passion for shooting firearms.
WMU 91
Boo string
taureau noir

Post by taureau noir »

Well, I think Don deserve the master title.The one I received with catswisker and halo serving , was a perfect exemple of craftmanship.
I shot about 10 shots then went hunting and harvested a doe the first day , right in between the two shoulders.
I'll surely order an other one in spring time.
Congrat to Don

Taureau noir
---------Chasseurs et Pêcheurs du Québec----
http://chasseursetpecheurs.actifforum.com
[img]http://i77.photobucket.com/albums/j60/momo7132/LOGO/chasseur_pecheur2.jpg[/img]
vixenmaster

Post by vixenmaster »

I have been using Boo strings all this year, fer 3-D's and Hunting started in March. I got 600 shots from a Flemish FF and 460 from Endless loop. They were on an Exocet 200.
Half Bubble Off BD360

[email protected] 417-505-9315
VixChix

Post by VixChix »

I plan on switching once the season is over... posts like this make me wish I did it before the season began!
Vixen, Micro 315, HHA Optimizer, Boo & VixenMaster strings, Munch Mounts, Dr. Stirrup accessories.
ComfyBear

Post by ComfyBear »

Yes , from what I've heard, Boo is quite the stringmaker. I'm glad someone of his caliber has taken up the torch, since I stopped to take a break from making them.
ComfyBear
Micro Axe 340, Matrix 380, Matrix 355, Matrix 350, Exocet 200
ComfyBear Strings
G5 Montecs 125gr., SlickTrick 125 gr. Magnums

To thine own self be true.
Remove thine mask Polonius.
Live thy truth, doth not be false to any man.
Doe Master
Site Admin

Post by Doe Master »

I got a couple of his strings as well and they definitely are very well made.
awshucks

Post by awshucks »

I use his FFF on both my Phoenix and Emax. I did some chrony tests for him awhile back on several versions of his strings. Fairly well trashed what I thought I knew about the different string choices available, lol. I'm not going to post the results, as there are just too many varibles from my set up to yours, but can say regardless of what type loops or material you favor, I'm reasonably certain you will be impressed. Great job, Don!!
"Eze 18:21"
xbowking

Post by xbowking »

I have been using Boo's strings for quite a while now , i hunt with them and also shoot alot of 3D tournaments , every single string i have from Boo is simply awsome , Don is for sure a string craftsman.
kevin

Post by kevin »

ComfyBear wrote:Yes , from what I've heard, Boo is quite the stringmaker. I'm glad someone of his caliber has taken up the torch, since I stopped to take a break from making them.
ComfyBear. I'm still using the Brown and Tan FF strings I recieved from you last year. There top notch quality and excellent workmanship :D
my member name used to be kev until I changed my e-mail. member oct. 18, 2003
Cossack

Post by Cossack »

So, how does one get in touch with Boo? I tried the net but it produced only unrelated sites.
sumner4991

Post by sumner4991 »

Here is Boo's email address . . . [email protected]

I love my Boo strings.
I'd rather wear out than rust out.
Perception trumps intention.

2006 Exomax w/Agingcrossbower Custom Stock
20" Easton Powerbolts w/125gr Trophy Ridge Stricknines & 2"Blazers
Boo Custom Strings
2006 Vixen
Normous

Post by Normous »

Cossack wrote:So, how does one get in touch with Boo? I tried the net but it produced only unrelated sites.
Cossack,
Boo (Dan) is located in Toronto, Canada. The best way to contact him is by PM. In the Trading Post you will find his add containing selection, prices,colours and email. You will certainly find him to be a true gentleman. A quick turnaround and shipping response is A1. With the hunting season upon us he just may be busy.
An upgrade to the Halo serving and whisker option should not be overlooked. We use both his strings in fff and excel, and both the Halo and whisker options are holding up very well after hundreds of shots through our 200 and 225 lb Excaliburs. As a Excalibur hunter since 92, I have modified and tinkered most areas within reason to extract maximum performance from the linup. All in all, Dan's stings have impressed me the most.
EXCALFFLICTION 1991 ->>----------> 2024
Matrix 355
Huskemaw and Leupold crossbow optics.
Boo Strings
SWAT BH's and TOTA heads.
Teach Your Family How To Hunt So You Don't Have To Hunt For Your Family
gnhuntin

Post by gnhuntin »

I just received my string yesterday and it looks super, if it performs half as good as it looks it will be great. You can contact Boo (Don) at [email protected].
TYE

Post by TYE »

I've been trying to think up a good way to say something good about Boo strings, but nothing was coming to mind that would catch peoples attention well enough. Wabi, thank you, you just summed up the exact things I would have said about Boo strings.

There should be some type of award for BEST CROSSBOW STRING of the year or something, because Boo's strings are in a class of their own!

I LOVE mine.