Missed my first, but that shouldn't happen again!

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

Pydpiper

Missed my first, but that shouldn't happen again!

Post by Pydpiper »

Long story short, I was walking in the river to get to a cedar forest where deer are know to frequent. Got in the river about half hour before sunrise, made it about 20 yards when I heard a wheeze on the far side of the river, still dark I froze and shouldered my crossbow to wait for the sun. Once the sun came up I heard another wheeze and a stomp and figured the thing ran off after seeing me standing in the middle of the river. Took out my rangefinder to see how far it was, just in case. 55 yards, I put the rangefinder back in my pocket, crossbow hung nicely over my shoulder. Then I seen her, right beside me on the river bank, my first deer, nothing between us but water.. It took me about half hour/45 minutes to get my bow off my shoulder and in position between her looking away and drinking.. Squatted in the river put my cross-hairs where I thought they needed to be and squeezed. My next-to-silent Boo string launched the arrow right where I aimed it, over her back and into a tree. She turned around at the sound of the carbon arrow locking it's self into the wood and carried on. So my first deer walked away from a perfect 30 yard broadside shot.
If I had my rangfinder mounted to my bow the way it was the day before I would be getting BBQ sauce on the keyboard as I type this. I suck at guessing.
I came up with this.. Tore my rangefinder apart and tapped into the switch, added a remote switch to use so my hands stay where they belong, a bit late but effective all the same. I am not to happy about the purple switch, and the wife wont be too happy when she sees where I tore it out of, but it works absolutely perfect. I am ordering a tape switch for the trigger (like what activates a flashlight on a handgun) so I can route the wires internally, but for now I can look through my scope to my rangefinder and activate it while keeping my hands where they belong.

Oh, and don't ask how far I assumed the deer was. :wink:

If you are not willing to learn, nobody can help you, if you are willing, nobody can stop you.
A bowhunter with a passion for shooting firearms.
WMU 91
Boo string
vixenmaster

Post by vixenmaster »

An here i was all set to have fresh back straps n gravy wid ya! :D
Half Bubble Off BD360

[email protected] 417-505-9315
Pydpiper

Post by Pydpiper »

Next week Mike, Dan drives. :D
If you are not willing to learn, nobody can help you, if you are willing, nobody can stop you.
WMU 91
Boo string
VixChix

Post by VixChix »

I thought I was good at guessing distances... until I walked the 3D course! :? That was an eye opener. I'm much more paranoid now than I ever was before (and that was pretty paranoid! LOL)

Best of luck with that switch! :lol:
Vixen, Micro 315, HHA Optimizer, Boo & VixenMaster strings, Munch Mounts, Dr. Stirrup accessories.
Doe Master
Site Admin

Post by Doe Master »

I don`t know Mo I thought you hit most of the targets. :P As for missing the deer Pyd don`t fret over it we all have miss guessed a range .I remember one time I had a MASSIVE buck out infront of me .There I am heart a pounding ,breathing heavy and I guess him for 30 and it was more like 40 plus .I watched that arrow arc ever so gracefully towards him and under .He slowly trotted out to 75 yards stopped turned broadside and gave me about ten minutes to look at him .That tore me apart it was bad enough missing but to have him taunt me it just plain hurt.
Exocet77

Post by Exocet77 »

Ya it happens, I am starting to get better judging but them open field shots are a killer. Nice rigging on the rangefinder mount.
DuckHunt

Post by DuckHunt »

I thought I was decent at estimating range until I got a rangefinder. I'm OK in the woods, but when you are in an open area like a field or over water it can be VERY hard. The size of the deer makes a big difference. Over water 50 yards doesn't near as far as it really is.

DuckHunt
chris4570

Post by chris4570 »

Range estimation can be tough, and your perspective is different if you are standing, sitting or in a tree.

I shot a doe last year. Initially thought 20 yards, than just bfore I pulled the trigger I said it's closer to 30. Well the arrow went high and wounded her. Should have stuck with 20. :?
You can take the man out of the woods but you can't take the woods out of the man.

"Celebrate your harvest with a Bloodtrail Ale(tm)!!"
"It CAN Be Done!"
VixChix

Post by VixChix »

When I'm sitting on the edge of a field or clearing I'll pace off distance sand put sticks in the ground so that I have points of reference. Distances can look so much different from standing to sitting.
Vixen, Micro 315, HHA Optimizer, Boo & VixenMaster strings, Munch Mounts, Dr. Stirrup accessories.
Farmer

Post by Farmer »

I really like the idea of adding the remote switch, great idea.
Pydpiper

Post by Pydpiper »

Thanks! It is a bit intrusive the way it is right now, but todays goal is o find/make a smaller switch with a thinner wire that will be concealed.
Took it out this morning for it's first hunt, it worked flawlessly, didn't see any deer in shooting range but got a squirrel or two in the scope.
WMU 91
Boo string
awshucks

Post by awshucks »

Pydpiper wrote:Thanks! It is a bit intrusive the way it is right now, but todays goal is o find/make a smaller switch with a thinner wire that will be concealed.
Took it out this morning for it's first hunt, it worked flawlessly, didn't see any deer in shooting range but got a squirrel or two in the scope.
Hmmmm?? Mayhaps a cottage industry installing switches on rf's?? I'd like to place an order, lol.
"Eze 18:21"
Pydpiper

Post by Pydpiper »

What I should have done is install a 1/8" in the RF, then it could detach a bit easier. Once I find a source for tape switches I would be happy to install them for anyone who wants one.
WMU 91
Boo string
frisky

Post by frisky »

In my opinion a complete miss is better than a wounded animal. I do like the idea if the remote switch. Good luck next time!
2007 Phoenix
Custom Wood Stock
Gold Tip II 311 Grain
Meat Seeker, 3 blade, Mechanical 100 Grain
Boo Astroflight String
Varizone Sighting
hotburn

Post by hotburn »

Sorry about your luck Dave. Nice work on the RF finder also. That is why I bought a RF this year, I to sucked at guessing range and had to limit myself to twenty or less. But with the new RF I am felling pretty good about taking 30 yard shots if the need arises this year.