slick trick question

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

exokidd

slick trick question

Post by exokidd »

I was just target shooting my exomag and i have my fieldpoints dialed right in to the point of hitting in the same hole in the target but when i change to the slicktrick i am hitting high and to the left. i dont have a scale what does the single line on the fieldpoint shaft indicate for weight ?? My slicktricks are 100 gr. thanks!
May the scope be clear and the big racks in range!!
Dumbazz

Post by Dumbazz »

More likely just the way the broadheads fly. I had to adjust when switching from field points to broadheads.
I come by my name honestly.
mdcrossbow

Post by mdcrossbow »

did you put the washer behind the slick on the arrow?
exokidd

Post by exokidd »

i thought the whole reason behind the slicktricks are that they fly the same as the fieldpoints....i know last year when i shot them the were almost in the same hole as the fieldpoint
exokidd

Post by exokidd »

mdcrossbow wrote:did you put the washer behind the slick on the arrow?
yep..
Livtahunt

Post by Livtahunt »

my slicks hit in the exact hole my field points do maybe your field points are heavier
Exomax, Equinox, Matrix 380 and now a Scorpyd Aculeus
exokidd

Post by exokidd »

isnt there a way of determing the weight of the fieldpoints without a scale???
mdcrossbow

Post by mdcrossbow »

What arrows are you useing ?
exokidd

Post by exokidd »

im using carbon force bolts
wabi

Post by wabi »

My experience with SlickTricks is that they hit the same point as field points on arrows with a lot of helical on the fletching.
With 4° offset fletching they did not group right with field points, but they did group very well, and were close (about 1" @ 20 yards). With 8° helical fletching they did group right with field points.
wabi
PRB

Post by PRB »

exokidd wrote:isnt there a way of determing the weight of the fieldpoints without a scale???
If you have a known broadhead weight then you might try to tape two table spoons end to end and then place them on a pivot point to where it wont slide and balance it. You should be able to determine the rest from there.
Good luck.
Life Is Too Short !!! Live For The Moment !!!
GLC

Post by GLC »

I use the Gold Tip Laser II carbons supplied with my Exocet. I shoot 100 grain field points all summer long for practice. I then put 100 grain Slick Tricks on the same arrows and found that I had to adjust about 1 1/2" to center. Mine were also slightly high and left.

Just my observation. I don't think anything flies "same as field points" but I will say that the Slick Tricks have been the closest I've experienced. I've also used Wasp Boss SST (pretty close and worked well when zeroed) and Wast SST Hammers (horribly inconsistant results for me, would not hunt with them.)

My 2 cents.
Pydpiper

Post by Pydpiper »

The term "flies like a field point" does not necessarily mean the broadhead is going to hit the same spot as field-point without adjustment to the scope (or other sighting tools).
Field points are consistent, there are limited factors that would make one veer from the course of the one shot before it, or after it.
Historically, broadheads are known to have erratic flight patterns, some high, some low but rarly ever the same... When a company develops something that is capable of consistent flight they can say "flies like a Field point", but that does not mean it will follow the path of a field point from your bow without adjustment.
Some guys get lucky, the broadheads happen to hit in the same spot as a field point, other guys bust their butts to make sure everything is just right, the weight, the center of balance, FOC, vane size, spinal alignment and many more variables. You need to concern yourself with repetition, make sure your bow and arrow is doing the same thing every time, once that happens you can worry about the small stuff, like why an arrow with a broadhead hits 1" high and 1.25" left of the field point at 40 yards.
If the slicks are consistent then they are doing their job, think less about field points and more about broadheads, it's hunting season. :D
If you are not willing to learn, nobody can help you, if you are willing, nobody can stop you.
A bowhunter with a passion for shooting firearms.
WMU 91
Boo string
ecoaster

Post by ecoaster »

That's right. If your slicks are hitting high and to the right (or where ever) consistently, then make the adjustment on your sights. You want to be set up for broadheads this time of year :wink: .
I hunt for memories, the meat's a bonus!
exokidd

Post by exokidd »

right on guys...thanks for the good info!! im heading out right now to ajust the scope!!