O/T: ML sabots(whatcha use)

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

crazyfarmer

O/T: ML sabots(whatcha use)

Post by crazyfarmer »

Ive been using the 250gr TV shockwaves and well they fly EXCELLENT. But, 2 deer that I have shot under 30 yards have not had exit wounds. Keep in mind ive only shot 4 deer with them and found 3 of the 4. 2 didnt exit and one was only 12 yards. I lost a good 8pt saturday since I dont think the bullet exited on him also. Still good odds, but I really want something that will open 2 holes through a deer. PLus the shockwaves dont expand very good either. On both the ones I found, only 1.5 petals opened and the others were all mashed up inside the sabot :shock:

Im thinking of trying the Barnes expanders since I have personally seen them after a shot and all the petals are pushed back perfectly and 9 time sout of 10 they seem to exit both sides! I only shoot 100grains of powder but I should still get double wounds under 30 yards LOL. The 10pt I shot today caught the sabot in the opposite side hide LOL.

whats everyone else use? I like to keep my sabots under 300 grains also if that matters
Boo

Post by Boo »

Some people just like stepping on rakes
Bucktail

Barnes 300 gr MZ

Post by Bucktail »

I really like the Barnes 300 gr MZ out of my Encore or Remington 700MZ.

Remington primers and 100 gr. (2) Triple Seven pellets.

Beleive me, the deer don't go anywhere after being hit with them. For me, they have always been pass thru's. Turns the lungs/etc into liquid inside.

On close shots from tree stands, I've used my White's DFX metal detector to find the bullet. Always have all six petals fully opened, and nearly 100% of weight retention. (300 gr)

Bucktail
wn

Post by wn »

In my T/C Encore the best combination I have found is 245gr Power Belt Aerotip with 2 Triple 7 pellets. I have had 2 deer travel about 50 yards the rest have fallen on the spot. The Power Belts load so easy even after the barrel has been fouled.
crazyfarmer

Re: Barnes 300 gr MZ

Post by crazyfarmer »

Bucktail wrote:I really like the Barnes 300 gr MZ out of my Encore or Remington 700MZ.

Remington primers and 100 gr. (2) Triple Seven pellets.

Beleive me, the deer don't go anywhere after being hit with them. For me, they have always been pass thru's. Turns the lungs/etc into liquid inside.

On close shots from tree stands, I've used my White's DFX metal detector to find the bullet. Always have all six petals fully opened, and nearly 100% of weight retention. (300 gr)

Bucktail
i bought some of the barnes expander MZT's or whatever they are called today. They have that pointed tip on them. Im gonna give them a try. The shockwaves did well, but I still want all the penetration I can get.
DuckHunt

Post by DuckHunt »

CF,
For less recoil I have my kids CVA Wolf shooting 200-grain Shockwaves in front of 75 grains of Triple-7. So far my kids have taken 4 deer in 4 shots. They both harvested their first bucks and a doe each at distances from 15 to 60 yards. Every shot has been a pass through. I've been fairly pleased with the performance of the 200-grain shockwave.

I shoot 230-grain Hollow-point TC Surefire Sabots (from Wal-mart) in front of 150-grains of Triple-7 through a CVA Optima Pro. Recoil is not pleasant. But the entrance hole of this screaming hollow point is amazing. Like you have mentioned, I too have had cases where this bullet has not passed through. I think this bullet expands to such a large diameter that a pass through is difficult. It does however leave a massive hole so blood is never an issue. If you hit bone (shoulder, etc) it almost always drops them in their tracks.

Congrats on the big buck!

DuckHunt
hawg hunter

sabots in ml

Post by hawg hunter »

You have picked the right sabot and bullet combo on the market. I shoot barnes bullets in most all my firearms. No 1 reason KNOCKDOWN and PENETRATION. Accuracy is on par with most any combo. These bullets don't leave you looking for blood trail ther will be one at POI and most of the time deer and hogs drop in their tracks.
wabi

Post by wabi »

Back in the late 90's I shot 1 deer with a Hornady XTP and it went about 30 yards. The next year a buddy of mine got me to try Barnes Expanders. I shot a doe at about 60 yards with a 300 grain Barnes & 100 gr Pyrodex. Dropped in it's tracks! Been using Barnes ever since, and have yet to have one go anywhere. I've tagged out before MZ season a couple years, so probably a total of about 5 deer, and never had to track one yet that was hit with a Barnes!!!!!!!!!!
wabi
crazyfarmer

Post by crazyfarmer »

glad to here the barnes work well.. I debated for 15mins whether to get the tipped ones, the expanders, or the ones that have the small hollow pt on the end... seems any of them work great from what I here :lol:

suks that they are about 20bucks for 15 though LOL
LV2HNT

Post by LV2HNT »

Hey CF,
Congrats on the beauty buck! I am glad your luck has changed. I wish my memory was better so I could tell you this for sure but here is what I remember from searching for ML bullets. I started off getting barnes two years ago when I bought my new ML but switched last year. I am always looking to improve accuracy at long ranges so when I saw the addition of the Spitzer Boattails last year, I had to get them. I almost got the Boattails from barnes but like you, I wasn't exactly happy with the price, so I kept looking. This is where my memory gets foggy. I don't know how I figured it out but if you go to Cabelas for example and check out the bullets, you may notice that the Barnes bullets are exactly the same as the Knight bullets. I think Knight buys Barnes bullets, packages them with the Knight name then sells them. I wish I could remember what it was that proved it to me but I can't. Anyhow, I am shooting the 50cal, 250 or 290 grain, Knight polymer tipped boattails that cost $16.99 for 30. They are the same as the Barnes Tipped MZ that sell for $23 (250gr) or $25 (290gr) for 24. The Knight bullets are deffinately the way to go, assuming they are the same. I unfortunately can't testify to their performance because I have only shot one deer with them so far, but that one deer was hit too far back just behind the rib cage. The bullet exited a little farther forward through the rib cage, then went straight through the front leg and kept going. This was a 150 yard shot too, so the bullet was not at it's peak velocity when it hit. Because of that, I can say pretty confidently that at shorter ranges, pass throughs should not be a problem. I hope this helps.

Bucktail, I am confused about the amount of powder you are using. Do you shoot 200 grains?
A bad day in the woods is better than a good day anywhere else.
Bucktail

Barnes 300 gr MZ

Post by Bucktail »

LV2HNT,

I shoot 100gr of Triple Seven. 2 50gr pellets.

Sorry for the confusion.

Bucktail
Apple_Orchard

Post by Apple_Orchard »

295 gr Aero tip Power Belts backed by 100 gr pyrodex. Still shooting my Rem ML700 from 1995, which I believe was the first year it was produced.
Found they are much much more accurate than the 240gr XTPs. I think this old Rem just likes a heavier bullet.

PS Great buck you got there crazyfarmer!!
vixenmaster

Post by vixenmaster »

I am using T/C BLK.DIA. 70 grs. Pyro P under a GN. sabot with Speer 240 .429 JSP. Doe i shot this week at 50 yds. had good exit and ran downhill 25 yds. in a pile! Field dressed 100lbs. on scale.
Half Bubble Off BD360

[email protected] 417-505-9315
crazyfarmer

Post by crazyfarmer »

LV2HNT wrote:Hey CF,
Congrats on the beauty buck! I am glad your luck has changed. I wish my memory was better so I could tell you this for sure but here is what I remember from searching for ML bullets. I started off getting barnes two years ago when I bought my new ML but switched last year. I am always looking to improve accuracy at long ranges so when I saw the addition of the Spitzer Boattails last year, I had to get them. I almost got the Boattails from barnes but like you, I wasn't exactly happy with the price, so I kept looking. This is where my memory gets foggy. I don't know how I figured it out but if you go to Cabelas for example and check out the bullets, you may notice that the Barnes bullets are exactly the same as the Knight bullets. I think Knight buys Barnes bullets, packages them with the Knight name then sells them. I wish I could remember what it was that proved it to me but I can't. Anyhow, I am shooting the 50cal, 250 or 290 grain, Knight polymer tipped boattails that cost $16.99 for 30. They are the same as the Barnes Tipped MZ that sell for $23 (250gr) or $25 (290gr) for 24. The Knight bullets are deffinately the way to go, assuming they are the same. I unfortunately can't testify to their performance because I have only shot one deer with them so far, but that one deer was hit too far back just behind the rib cage. The bullet exited a little farther forward through the rib cage, then went straight through the front leg and kept going. This was a 150 yard shot too, so the bullet was not at it's peak velocity when it hit. Because of that, I can say pretty confidently that at shorter ranges, pass throughs should not be a problem. I hope this helps.

Bucktail, I am confused about the amount of powder you are using. Do you shoot 200 grains?
Well I tested the tipped MZ's today and my gun really doesnt like them. I shoot the Knight Revolution and I had hell getting a good pattern with them out of 6 shots at only 75 yards. One would be 6 inches high, next dead on, then 6inches to the right and so on. I clean after every shot so its not the gun. I gave up with them and tried the shockwaves to make sure it wasnt me pulling them off. First shot was off do to the scope of coarse but the next 3 shots nailed dead center like tacking tacs. I know every gun is different, but mine hates the barnes tipped ones:( Suks cause I spent 20bucks and have 9 of them left LOL
hawg hunter

MLsabots

Post by hawg hunter »

Ive never used the one's with the plastic tip only the solid copper HP. Look at a few of the sabots that you have fired sounds like the sabots are not separrating from the bullet. Pull the bullets out of the one's you have not shot and grease them. some time they have been packaged so long that they want to stick to the bullet. I'm in the process of checking out the Power Belt bullets because every place in town are sold out of Barnes HP. Most sabots should drop off before 20yds.