What does everyone think about this?

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

Boo

Post by Boo »

Scott, I thought we could all participate in judging by each casting a vote for the best pics.
Don't forget a great smile/grin adds to any picture. Background, lighting, the whole shebang. Maybe we can talk Daniel at Horizonal Bowhunter to publish the picture!
Some people just like stepping on rakes
flbuckmaster

Post by flbuckmaster »

BOO PM'D ME LAST WEEK AFTER I COMMENTED ON A RATHER GORY PHOTO SOMEONE POSTED ON THIS FORUM. I THINK THAT POSTING A PHOTO WITH A BLOODY TOUNGE HANGING OUT AND OPEN BODY CAVITY NOT ONLY DISRESPECTS THE ANIMAL, BUT PORTRAYS HUNTERS AS BLOOD THIRSTY BARBARIANS TO THE GENERAL PUBLIC THAT MAY BE VIEWING THEM. I HAVE BEEN FEATURED ON SEVERAL TV AND A HALF DOZEN HUNTING MAGAZINES IN THE LAST FEW YEARS AND A PHOTO OR SCENE WOULD NEVER BE ALLOWED THAT SHOWED BLOOD FROM A HARVESTED ANIMAL. IT TAKES ALL OF A MINUTE TO WIPE AWAY BLOOD AND IF NECESSARY CUT OFF THE TOUNGE. MOVE THE ANIMAL TO A PLACE AWAY FROM BLOOD POOLS AND GUTPILES, AND TAKE THE PHOTO WITHOUT SHOWING THE OPEN BODY CAVITY AFTER GUTTING. SOME ON THIS FORUM WILL DISAGREE WITH US BUT I THINK THE MAJORITY WOULD RATHER SEE A CLEAN AND RESPECTFUL PHOTO RATHER THAN A BLOOD SOAKED PHOTO. REMEMBER, YOUR PHOTOS MAY BE VIEWED BY WOMEN, CHILDREN, AND ANTI'S WHO WOULD VIEW THEM AS DISGUSTING IF NOT TAKEN WITH SOME THOUGHT OF CONCEILING THE GORE. THE PHOTO CONTEST IS GREAT, BUT THE IDEA BEHIND THIS THREAD IS FOR OUR MEMBERS TO START CLEANING UP THEIR PHOTOS BEFORE POSTING, ITS GOOD FOR OUR SPORT.
JAY
Invalid Session. Please resubmit the form.
BUCKSHOT

Re: What does everyone think about this?

Post by BUCKSHOT »

I quite understand the pictures taken of the moment but we could also clean up the animal, tuck in it's tongue and not display the open body cavity. A picture like that is one that would delight the young and possibly attract rather than repel. Think of which picture you would like to show your grandchildren.
I don't disagree with the thought of honoring an animal and presenting it in a respectable manner. Just remember to explain the reality of hunting while you are showing the nice pictures of Bambi, or you may truely horrify some potential hunters when they discover the realities attached to the sport.
Just teach them right is my point.
Enjoy the Harvest!
Pydpiper

Post by Pydpiper »

Nice pictures are a great idea, for magazines and such.

I can't help but reflect on when we got talking about long range "target" shooting, I tried to make a point about how that was presented to the public and was quickly jumped on about how we need to be honest about the sport. I then made a point about what would happen if the general public caught a glimpse of what a crossbow was capable of (as we portray it as a "short" range weapon), I was then told that it didn't matter what the public thought in multiple posts and PM's, "We shouldn't hide what we do" was said in many different ways.
Doctoring a photo or a scene in a photo to hide the truth is deception, they bleed, it's gory and it's the truth (or so I hear.. :wink: ). We either do what we do or we try to alter the publics perception of what is actually happening..
All I can do now is hope that someone who jumped me in that thread for my effort to present our sport respectfully is the first to say they aren't comparable.

http://www.excaliburcrossbow.com/phpBB2 ... ng&start=0

Having said all that, I believe this to be a good cause, so I can probably dig something up to contribute (donate) too, I enjoy seeing pictures from every perspective.
If you are not willing to learn, nobody can help you, if you are willing, nobody can stop you.
A bowhunter with a passion for shooting firearms.
WMU 91
Boo string
flbuckmaster

Post by flbuckmaster »

bstout wrote:

I live to run an arrow through the heart of a nice buck. I'm not ashamed of that. I won't let a bunch of high class carnies attempt to make me feel that way.

Hunting is real life. So are hunting pictures. They don't need to be media correct unless you're hanging out with those folks. Be careful not to become like them by proximity.
I too am obsessed with harvesting bucks with any type of weapon. I kill up to ten bucks each year, every year, and know that blood and guts are part of the sport, we are the same in that respect. With me being in a wheelchair, I end up with a lot of gore in my lap while cleaning my deer. I am offended by you assuming I am “a high class carnie” (whatever that is) without you actually meeting me. My comment was for members cleaning up their photos after the kill. You would never see a mounted trophy deer with its tongue hanging out and blood seeping from an open wound. Pictures are, in a way, a trophy you can share with others and should be taken with that in mind.
Weather you like it or not, pictures posted in this forum are in the media, viewable by anyone in the world, and should be shown to reflect a positive image of our sport. Obviously you and I differ in the way photos should be viewed, debate is healthy and won’t change the way we think about this subject. I can only express my opinion and others can either agree or disagree with how photos should be shown. I am sure that the cleaner the photos will be ranked higher in this contest than ones shown with open cavities, tongues hanging out, and blood pools seeping from the animal.
jay
R.J.

Post by R.J. »

bstout : OK , Let me get this straight ….

Anybody that takes time to clean up and present their game / field shots would be considered a " quote " …
" self proclaimed elitist." ..." high class carnies "

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

I guess this probably falls under the " If I need to explain , you probably wont understand " …. But I will try anyway …

Been on my own since I was 15 ….. Earned everything I have thru the " School of Hard Knocks " …a high class carnie / self proclaimed elitist , I think not … just an average joe with a " huge " respect for the outdoors , my hunting heritage , and the animals I persue ….

I also believe that the blood etc. is a part of hunting ….. But I choose to take the high road and stay away from the " in your face blood , and gore "part of it ….as I believe it doesn't promote our hunting heritage , it actually opens us up for more critisim and attack …( how ever unwarranted )

I enjoy takeing photo journals of our days in the field and sharing them with others …. Done tastefully and respectfully , even non hunters can enjoy !

There are Hunters , Non Hunters , and Anti Hunters ….. Put enough , blood and gore pictures out there and you will see Non Hunters change into Anti Hunters …

When telling a story with photo's , I will show , blood on an arrow , blood trail etc. but I try to stay away from the bloody animal , or bloody field dressed pictures …. That's just my preference / opinion …. I don't force that on anybody … I just believe it more a tasefull / respectfull way to present the animal ... ( the doe in the link below was filed dressed but I took the picture from behind )

http://www.excaliburcrossbow.com/phpBB2 ... t=relocate

You said .... Refering to the misc bloody body shots , tounge hanging out etc. pictures ...
" These pictures belong to hunting. They are part of hunting. "
That's your opinion ….. And you are entiltled to it …. You keep doing your thing and I'll keep doing mine ….
See Ya. ... R.J. > " Remember , Trophies are measured by the time and energy expended to get them , not the size or quantity of the quarry "
VixChix

Post by VixChix »

This is another of those threads that highlights what makes this forum so special and unique. We can all disagree and still be happy to hang out here with each other. :lol:

The reality of the pursuit is blood & guts. No denying that.

To my understanding Boo started this thread to challenge us to give more thought to our trophy photos. He's genreously offering a prize as added incentive.

I don't think anyone is saying we shouldn't take pictures that show any blood, we're just being encouraged to give more thought in posing the photos. No harm in that! :D :D :D
Vixen, Micro 315, HHA Optimizer, Boo & VixenMaster strings, Munch Mounts, Dr. Stirrup accessories.
flbuckmaster

Post by flbuckmaster »

I wish I did make money using the outdoors, but I have now been reduced to working weekends as a high class carnie. Image
go figure.....
jay
Pydpiper

Post by Pydpiper »

Hate to burst your bubble Jay, but the high class carnies don't work weekends.. :D

This thread started with all the good intentions and sincerity that Boo always have to offer, sure went downhill quick though.. As for me, I love these threads, lets us see a bit deeper into the people we communicate with on a daily basis, the diversity of this gang never fails to amaze me. Good people with different perspectives, a community.
If you are not willing to learn, nobody can help you, if you are willing, nobody can stop you.
A bowhunter with a passion for shooting firearms.
WMU 91
Boo string
Apple_Orchard

Re: What does everyone think about this?

Post by Apple_Orchard »

Boo wrote: What do you guys think of rating pictures of the deer that we've taken? I was thinking that it would be very cool to present the deer that we've taken in a really nice and respectable manner that is very presentable for the whole world to see. .
Sounds like a great idea Boo.

I think we may already have a winner though. :wink: (242#)
Grizzly Adam

Post by Grizzly Adam »

Easy, now, boys. We're all friends here. :D

Got to handle the hot potato with care, else it burns.

I don't have a problem with actual field photos of freshly killed animals. I see them as visual records, and as long as nothing is purposefully done to enhance or intensify the inherent bloodiness and gore of death, I can live with any pictures.

I understand that those who don't actually do such things might be a bit shocked at the reality of it all. I wouldn't want to needlessly alarm them, but I don't want to go too far out of my way to "doctor" a field photo, either.

What I don't like to see is hunting videos where the hunter is supposedly searching for a recently shot buck ... and all of a sudden they shout, "There he is!" ... and run up to an obviously washed, groomed and combed animal all laid out like it's lying in a pasture. When they run up and drop their pack over the entry hole like that's something to be hidden, I just get a really bad feeling about that.

As for me, I'll not unnecessarily offend anyone ... but I won't jump through too many hoops to hide the truth about it all. I think there must be a reasonable middle ground, and I'll try to stay right there.

I'm an old country boy. I guess killing and butchering are matter-of-fact to me. I know some of the most interesting regional photographs I've ever seen are from old-timey hog killings ... and believe me, they weren't "doctored" in any way.

In any case, let's all remember we're in this thing together, and strive for goodwill.

OK?

:D
Grizz
Boo

Post by Boo »

Ok boys, the offering is two strings and I will not be offended if the winner sells them for cash. If the winner does not have an Excal they can either take the two strings or I will work with them to make two strings for their compound crossbow (I've made a couple for compound crossbows) or a Trad bow.
If you are not interested in what I am offering please ignore me and stop turning this thread into a Monty Python retard show. I am asking you guys for something and I don't expect crap thrown in my face for doing so!
Alaspan

Post by Alaspan »

Boo, I don't own any of your strings, but I have heard the praises, and I believe without seeing.

I think it's a great idea. i'M IN!

I'm not going to wade in on the discussion, only to say that I always do my best to show respect for our craft, and the animal, whenever possible. I do believe that everyone is entitled to their own way of doing things, and while I do enjoy a 'clean photo', I see both sides. I wouldn't want to see this forum moderated to the point where pictures have to be 'approved prior to posting'. I won't pass judgement, and I will continue to follow my own code.

Guess I just waded in didn't I?
Boo

Post by Boo »

Dave, this thread has become very distorted. It was not to condem pictures with blood and tongue but it was only to encourage additional pictures of more "presentable" pictures in the style that would be more acceptable to some of the public. Again, I understand the pic of the moment but the gut piles could be excluded. I am sure you know what I mean. Any how, welcome aboard!
Some people just like stepping on rakes
fuzzy

Post by fuzzy »

Last edited by fuzzy on Sun Nov 25, 2012 10:39 am, edited 1 time in total.