Post Rut/late season

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

fuel80guy

Post Rut/late season

Post by fuel80guy »

I run into the same problem every year.Once the bucks lockup with the does after a week or so my deer sightings pretty much stop.Ive read over and over hunt close to food sources after the rut.Well the only viable food source we have here in ontario is winter wheat.Does anybody hunt in the middle of forests for late season november 25th-december 31st?
Or is evryone still hunting field edges/food sources for late season.
Ive filled my doe tag and im now holding out for a decent buck any thoughts.
Thank you
WhiteTail

Post by WhiteTail »

I find that taking some time and scouting the areas around the food sources can really pay off.

Look for trails coming in to/out of the food sources or fields. If you can locate these trails and set up inside the edge allong the trail you might get a shot at a deer travelling to/from thier bedding area or food source.

In my experience it seems deer are more comfortable when inside the wooded areas and are more likey to walk past you as opposed to setting up on the edge of a field.

Placement of your stand/blind are key and if you are on a trail that isnt travelled to often your sightings will be few and far bewteen. Scouting this time of year isnt too tough as the fresh new snow makes it obvious when the deer are travelling.
DanO

Post by DanO »

Is a portable stand the way to go at this time of year, Whittail? Would a ground blind work?

Dan O.
If you're not part of the solution, you might be part of the problem.
kevin

Post by kevin »

hunting falls off like that too here in Northern Ohio where I hunt. After shotgun season this week I'll hunt mostly mornings here, my sightings are about 4-1 in favor of morning hunts.

I'll hunt around accorn sources and trails to bedding areas. I wish I would have takin one of the smaller Buck's I'd passed on now :cry:
my member name used to be kev until I changed my e-mail. member oct. 18, 2003
WhiteTail

Post by WhiteTail »

I think a portable stand can be a good idea, even if you don't see anything where you place it you may get an idea of where they are travelling and you could always set up there.

Ground blinds are good choice too, When using ground blinds you need to be very observant about your actions, scent, movement and keep your eyes open.

The drawback i have seen with ground blinds are visibility and a big thing is scent control. Your scent will linger very close to the ground.

Make sure if you are usuing a ground blind you keep your movements to a minimum. Being on the ground will put you right in the sight lines of deer. Only move when they arent looking and be very still even when you don't see any animals close by.

It can get pretty cold using a ground blind in late season
fuel80guy

Post by fuel80guy »

Does anybody know if winter wheat is a large part of a deers diet during thistime of year?
Ben S.

Post by Ben S. »

If there is snow on the ground they really like alphalfa. It's easy for them to get at as it stands taller. At least that's been my experience. I was in Watford this weekend (got a doe) and they had quite a bit of snow. Once again the majority of the tracks were in or near the alphalfa field.