excalibur bolts and accuracy

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

diamondback

excalibur bolts and accuracy

Post by diamondback »

When I got my exocet I also got the right stuff package cause I figured since excal matched it to their crossbows it would shoot great out of the box.Well I was somewhat dissapointed with the accuracy I was getting out of the excal bolts.they would not group at all,2 would have 1 poi and 2 would have another.really got me aggrivated.finally between shooting deer or at deer ,I was down to 2 that wouldnt group.I went to my local archery shop and all they had with flat nocks were Tenpoint pro elites.so I got 5 of those along with muzzy heads and guess what.all 5 shoot perfec.3 I could get in a 3 inch circle at 50 yards and the other 2 were just alittle out but all 5 were in a 6 inch at 50.Has any one else had this problem.seems I read alot on here about problems especially from newbies about accurcy.I know that several companies boast of high speeds and use bolts too light or 22 inches for a longer power stroke but seems they dont shoot that good .So far I love my exocet ,but wont be buying anymore bolts from them.
Boo

Post by Boo »

Your inaccuracy can be caused by a whole bunch of things. Have you spin tested your arrow broadhead combo?
Some people just like stepping on rakes
Normous

Post by Normous »

Is the string centered identicaly with each shot? A string centererd left or right 1/8" off will send a bolt inches off target each time.
Last edited by Normous on Sat Dec 01, 2007 8:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
EXCALFFLICTION 1991 ->>----------> 2024
Matrix 355
Huskemaw and Leupold crossbow optics.
Boo Strings
SWAT BH's and TOTA heads.
Teach Your Family How To Hunt So You Don't Have To Hunt For Your Family
diamondback

Post by diamondback »

I was using the wasps that come with them,but had the same problem with practice tips.I posted on here a while ago and got alot of suggestions of things to do to the bow itself but none really helped. I have read alot about the brass inserts and also notice they are on the tenpoints already.I also tried a few horton bolts with blazers on them and they grouped well with practice tips but never tried broadheads.The tenpoints also came with 4 in.vanes instead of 5 and that may be the difference.On the excals,you couldnt see it at 20 but on 50 yd shot ,it looked like the bolts were fishtailing a good bit,I also liked the tenpoints nocks because they were brite yellow and with the brite fletching really helped follow the bolts to the target.I really think that excal makes the best xbow system out there and was just wondering if other people were having the same problem,Why dont they make the best bolts also?Maybe I am just an isolated case ,but seems everytime I look around someone is posting accuracy problems with their new excals.
diamondback

Post by diamondback »

As far as the string being center,I use the string cocker.but I numbered the bolts and checked the poi and they always hit the same spot ,just never the same as other bolts so Iit would have to be in the bolts in my opinion.
Hi5

Post by Hi5 »

diamondback wrote:.................... they always hit the same spot ,just never the same as other bolts so Iit would have to be in the bolts in my opinion.
Youbetcha!!! :D :D :D
"Gun Control Laws"--trying to nag criminals into submission.
wabi

Post by wabi »

I would think it is the arrows/bolts. Are they the GoldTip carbons????
Excalibur used GoldTips for a long time, and GoldTip did have some quality issues that have been mentioned here in the past. I would suggest contacting Excalibur and they will probably have a solution for the problem. (like exchanging them for new ones :wink: )
wabi
diamondback

Post by diamondback »

yeah,they are the gold tip lazer 2 graphites.Not worried about exchanging them cause I did get 2 deer with them ,so got my moneys worth.Just hope it helps the next guy who may have had the same problems.I have also had problems with little or no blood trails but it may be operator error and bad placement and not getting passthrus because of hitting shoulder blade but I have heavied ip some with my new combo ,but lost about 15 fps but maybe gained some kenitic energy .Maybe I can stay away from the shoulder now.
wabi

Post by wabi »

I'm in agreement with more KE & a little loss of speed.
I use 2215 aluminums which are heavier than the GoldTip carbons. Had a carbon break when I shot a deer last year and I didn't know for sure if it broke in the deer or after it was through the deer. Didn't find any splinters in the meat, but I went back to aluminums. As soon as I use up my supply of 100 grain broadheads I'm going to 125 grain for more FOC & energy. No accuracy problems with the 100 grain points, but a heavier point should give even better performance. My total arrow weight will still be only slightly over 400 grains. I've found that heavier than minimum weight arrows also cut the noise & vibration down.
Not bashing carbons, but I do believe when GoldTip moved operations to Mexico their quality "went south" too.
wabi
hawg hunter

Bolts

Post by hawg hunter »

Ten Point bolts are made by Gold tip.
gerald

Post by gerald »

Wabi, how can you tell if your Gold tips were made in Mexico?
kevin

Post by kevin »

crossbow are something like working up new loads in a rifle. Once you have them your pretty much set. I dug out an old EMag and tried some 21in. gold tips with mini blazers and 125gr. Rocket steel heads. Pretty decent off the bench.
my member name used to be kev until I changed my e-mail. member oct. 18, 2003
Grizzly Adam

Post by Grizzly Adam »

wabi wrote: Not bashing carbons, but I do believe when GoldTip moved operations to Mexico their quality "went south" too.
Hey, Wabi ... watch the "south" comments, amigo! :wink: :D

We don't wanna get that war going again! :D :D
Grizz
wabi

Post by wabi »

gerald wrote:Wabi, how can you tell if your Gold tips were made in Mexico?
I don't know it there is a way.
I do know there was suddenly some quality issues, such as huge weight variations, etc. coming up in the past. When all the problems started to pop up it was found that GoldTip had recently moved production to Mexico. Could have been pure coincidance..... :roll:
I know my personal experience was that the first couple batches I bought were excellant on durability & accuracy. The last dozen raw shafts I bought (just about the time others started mentioning problems) were pretty close in weight, but a couple of them broke (one on a deer pass-thru and one snapped off in my quiver when I had walked through some light brush) and accuracy just wasn't as good as in the past. I don't have a way to measure straightness, but I'll bet they were not as close in tolerance as previous ones.
I switched back to aluminums at that point.
wabi
Rich

Post by Rich »

When I bought Exocet 200 I went through 4 boxes of stock Excalibur GT II's and had consistency issues with almost 50 percent of them. I was lucky to get 3 bolts out of a box of 6 that would group within 1" 20 yards. Individually, each bolt would shoot bullet holes but as a group they sucked. I solved my problem by buying raw shafts and fletching my own. My set up now is GT II's, 2" blazer vanes and brass inserts. Think about it, why do you think Excal switched to the Easton bolts.

Rich