First Part of Ohio Gun Season Closes. Let the Games Begin!

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

Mike P

First Part of Ohio Gun Season Closes. Let the Games Begin!

Post by Mike P »

The first week of the Ohio Gun Season ends this evening. The season will open again for two days, December 15 and 16. I am like a kid on the night before Christmas. There has been hunting pressure on all the farms and vacant lands that surround the development where I live. Over the course of one week, the gun season is the equivalent of a giant cattle drive. The deer concentrate in the neighborhood. It is their haven. There is trouble in paradise however. And it is me!

Over the years I have become less and less a fan of hunting whitetails with projectiles that exceed 350 ft/sec. I still dutifully get out my Wingmaster with the Hastings barrel for the gun season here. It is still some ancient call to arms that I answer. And I will pour black powder down the barrel of my Omega rifle after Christmas as I answer a more primitive call during the black powder season. But the broadhead has become my weapon of choice.

How many times have you heard archery hunters say “The gun season just closed, it will take the deer about a week to get back to normal.” I hear it all the time and I just smile. That week they talk about is my week. I own it! And you can too! There are places all over that are just loaded with deer the week after the gun season. The trick is to find them and get permission to hunt. The obvious places are the locations where gun hunting is prohibited. The burbs! The areas where suburbia meets countryside is just teaming with deer the week after all the pressure from the once a year gun hunters. These guys are tromping around the woods like native beaters on a tiger hunt. And we shouldn’t let all their hard work go unrewarded. The fact that you get the reward and they don’t just seems so fair to me. Their out there for just one week. You are out there all season!

It’s raining here this morning in southern Ohio. I am sure there are a lot of guys getting soaked to the bone hunting this last day of the split season. I hope they know how much I appreciate it.
kevin

Post by kevin »

I'll be out tomorrow morning. I took it easy this week and did'nt get out for gun season.
my member name used to be kev until I changed my e-mail. member oct. 18, 2003