Moose steaks , Bear steaks , and shed antlers today ...

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

R.J.

Moose steaks , Bear steaks , and shed antlers today ...

Post by R.J. »

Met Wylie Harvey from Accessible Canadian Adventures for breakfast this morning ... we caught up on current events , talked strategy for 2008 hunts .... and when I left he gave me a bag of Moose steaks , Bear steaks , with some other salted meat !

Sweeeeeeet ! .... You dont get that sort of grocery shopping done every day ! ( unless you are wabi ! :lol: :lol: )

Later in the day , the weather turned dull and cloudy ... I decided to hike some river trails I had seen deer yarded up on near the end of the season ... I took my pocket camera along and as usual my Springer Sally was at my side ...

The river is really swelled up now ....

Didn't take long to find the deer trail ... :lol:

Evidence of earlier season scrapes ...

Followed the trail to some a large grass field I hoped to find some shed antlers in ...

Many spilt entry trails into that field ...

Found my first shed of 2008 approx 100 yards along the edge of the field ...

Found my second shed about 1/2 hour later near the base of some scrub cover trees ... they really stick out in this type of cover , I spotted them from a long way off ...

Eventually
we jumped about 8 deer off their beds .... they stayed about 60 yards ahead of us as we walked back to the truck ... never got a focus on them with the pocket camera thru the trees ...

Looked back and the only evidence of our passing was a set of tracks in the wet snow that started to gather on the dirt road ...

A fun walk with the dog , and my first sheds of 2008 !

When I got home , my wife cooked up some dinner , as I downloaded the pic's .... Moose steak on the left , Bear steak on the right , with Venison chilli and potatoes .... man it doesn't get any better then that ! :lol: :lol:

Thanks for the tastey treats Wylie ! .... Looking forward to hooking up with you and Bobby for some springtime gobblers !
See Ya. ... R.J. > " Remember , Trophies are measured by the time and energy expended to get them , not the size or quantity of the quarry "
Rich

Post by Rich »

Nice sheds RJ. Boy those are some heavy duty trails leading to the fields.

Rich
wabi

Post by wabi »

Looks like there are a few deer in the area! :lol:
The food looks great! I had to tough it out tonight and fix dinner for me and my son.

Started off with some old tough deer backstraps in the cast iron skillet...
Poured in some golden mushroom soup when I had it nicely browned...
Put on the lid & let it simmer while the biscuits were baking....
Then when the biscuits were done thickened up the gravy.....

Tenderloin, biscuits, gravy, and some fresh fruit and I'm still waiting on that to settle before we have some fresh raspberry cobbler before bedtime. :lol:
I was nice enough to save some for my wife when she gets home from work. 8)
wabi
raydaughety

Post by raydaughety »

Now Wabi, that's enough of that. That was totally uncalled for :wink: . Man that looks awesome!
God Bless !!!!!!!!!

Ray
Long Trang

Post by Long Trang »

How was the bear meat? I hear that can be quite nasty.... :?:
wabi

Post by wabi »

Long Trang wrote:How was the bear meat? I hear that can be quite nasty.... :?:
The bear meat I've eaten has all been quite good!

Ray,
It's tough when you have to "batch it" and the wife works, but Michael and I survive somehow. :lol:
wabi
Rich

Post by Rich »

I had bear meat that was cooked by my buddies grandmother, I thought I was eatting prime rib it was so juicey and tender.

Rich
raydaughety

Post by raydaughety »

Well Wabi looks like you and Michael survive :roll: quite well. I've seen some mighty fine meals come from black iron pan. I have mom's old cast iron and use it often. Send the left overs down here to Carolina :wink: .
God Bless !!!!!!!!!

Ray
DoDFire

Post by DoDFire »

Those deer trails look like a dirt bike trail,,,,,,SWEET
Huntsman, rest! thy chase is done
Big John

steaks

Post by Big John »

Look's like we all ate Game meat this weekend. 8)
I started off Friday night making Deer Stew, By Saturday night 20 liter's was gone between the wife, me, and my youngest. So that meant sunday night I had to make Goose steaks. Cast iron pan, Maple sirup glazed, then covered them with wild raspberries we picked in the summer at my place. On the side was potatoe medallions with oinion sliced real thin, covered them in garlic butter. Today It's back to whatever the wife want's to make. :)

Nice pic's R.J. 8)
Phoenix - 375 gr. BEE's (babyneilsons)
Micro 315 - 410 gr. Zombies/Lumenoks
Micro 355. - Punisher-Zombies/Lumenoks

Arrowmaker - Retired
[email protected]
Golden Eagle

Post by Golden Eagle »

Wow! Looks delicious guys.
chris4570

Post by chris4570 »

Nice pics RJ. Looks like some good deer live where ever it is you were hiking. I'll have to start the search for sheds as well.

One heck of a plate!!! Life is tough for sure. :roll: :lol:
You can take the man out of the woods but you can't take the woods out of the man.

"Celebrate your harvest with a Bloodtrail Ale(tm)!!"
"It CAN Be Done!"