Challenging the PAL

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

DanO

Challenging the PAL

Post by DanO »

They have a back door multiple choice test for old guys like me. Thirty multiple choice over the phone. I'm not sure what to expect. Can anyone give me a heads-up? I understand it's difficult.

For the folks in the U.S. - we need to have either a Possession Only License or a Possession and Acquisition Licence in Canada. I have the POL because I didn't think I would ever want a new gun. Now I'd like the choice so I need a PAL, thus the test.

Dan O.
If you're not part of the solution, you might be part of the problem.
Hi5

Post by Hi5 »

Are you planning to do the Restricted Firearms Test as well?

If there is a charge for taking the test, hold off till you have read the manual. It's informative. We are never too old to learn. Also, it will familiarize you with terms, and with catch phrases that may be significant in your test. Spare yourself some aggravation and maybe, expense.
"Gun Control Laws"--trying to nag criminals into submission.
DanO

Post by DanO »

Thanks Hi5. Yup I did review the non-restricted manual. I didn't know ACTS or PROVE and some of the other things. I'm not going to do the restricted test. Do you think the manual review is enough? There is a website that has a bank of questions but it costs money.

Dan O.
xbowking

Post by xbowking »

Check at your local library they might have the book and a video you can just borrow it for a few days an review everything ,thats what i did it helped alot .
Pydpiper

Post by Pydpiper »

DanO, when I did my hunting course I was asked at the end if I wanted to challenge the firearms test, I never read the book, nor did I have interest in owning a gun (silly me..).
I wrote the test on the spot and passed it, it was not difficult.
Where in Ontario are you? Any intention of attending the get together this weekend? I could loan you my book.
If you are not willing to learn, nobody can help you, if you are willing, nobody can stop you.
A bowhunter with a passion for shooting firearms.
WMU 91
Boo string
Allan

Post by Allan »

I studied the manual and passed the PAL. Without the information in the manual, you are likely to fail. As has been mentioned, you are asked to "PROVE" you firearm, you must know several acronyms, and statistics that are explained in the manual.

I suggest getting a hold of the manual, study it and take the challenge at the Sportsman show.
bait pile willie

Post by bait pile willie »

I just passed the test for a pal last wk.read the manual,at the end of each chapter there are 2-3 questions make sure you can answer them.50 questions on the test.on the hands on test make sure you demonstrate acts and prove allthe time,just be sure where the barrel is pointed at all times.its not that hard ,but to know and use the info in the manual is a MUST.I hope I get my card before the gun auction in PARIS in march.
Pydpiper

Post by Pydpiper »

Willie, you can check the status of that card on-line.
There are only two people who can clear a guy for his PAL in Ontario, being an extremely inpatient guy I made many calls, I ended up with the guy who makes the decision.
I am assuming that the auction is being held by the Landsborough's, if that is the case you can get you PAL# long before the card gets to you, for at least reserving any gun you may want to purchase.
If it gets down to the wire I can put you in contact with the head guy at the CFO's office.
If you are not willing to learn, nobody can help you, if you are willing, nobody can stop you.
WMU 91
Boo string
DanO

Post by DanO »

Thanks guys! I have read the manual over and over. I will do the questions at the end of each chapter. The test is done over the phone so I'm not actually holding a firearm. STatisitics, eh!! I'd never expect that type of question.

Dan O.

P.S. Can't make the get together as I'm supposed to be ice fishing this weekend in North Bay. Have a cold one for me though! :lol:
UrbanSherpa

Post by UrbanSherpa »

I 'challenged the test' after taking a 12 yr lapse from hunting.
I borrowed the book and ended up getting 100% on both the written and practical tests. I also got 100% on both the restricted (handgun) tests.

What I'm trying to say is that the tests are not hard. I did read the book thoroughly and have an extensive background in different types of guns, but...if you know the terminology in the book (ACTS, PROVE, etc), and read it cover to cover then you shouldn't have a prob.

The tester I had was pretty tough, but that is a good thing, really!!!

There is also a video of the important stuff on the Canadian firearms site
(PM me if you can't find it by google) that is pretty good.

-Karl
Exocet 200
LumiZone
FireBolts
DanO

Post by DanO »

Thanks guys! I did the test over the phone this afternoon and I got 29 out of 30 correct. I did read the book and some notes from an instructor I know and it made a huge difference. Even though I hunt alot and have hunted for over 30 years the manual is essential to passing the test. The test wasn't tough if you read the manual.

Which one did I get wrong?

How many shells can be legally loaded into a centre fire firearm? (I'm paraphrasing)
a) 5 b) 10 c) 15 d) unlimited

Answer:
see below (way down)

unlimited

Thanks for the suggestions. Dan O.
mblaney

Post by mblaney »

DanO wrote:Thanks guys! I did the test over the phone this afternoon and I got 29 out of 30 correct. I did read the book and some notes from an instructor I know and it made a huge difference. Even though I hunt alot and have hunted for over 30 years the manual is essential to passing the test. The test wasn't tough if you read the manual.

How many shells can be legally loaded into a centre fire firearm? (I'm paraphrasing)

Answer:
see below (way down)

unlimited

Something is wrong with this question if the answer was 'unlimited'; here is a direct cut and paste from cfc web page:

Q. What is the maximum number of cartridges that a firearm magazine can legally hold?

As set out in Criminal Code Regulations, some large-capacity magazines are prohibited regardless of the class of firearm to which the magazines are attached. As a general rule, the maximum magazine capacity is:

5 cartridges for most magazines designed for a semi-automatic centre-fire long gun; or
10 cartridges for most handgun magazines
A large-capacity magazine is not prohibited if it has been permanently altered so that it cannot hold more than the number of cartridges allowed by law. Acceptable ways to alter a magazine are set out in the regulations.

There is no limit to the magazine capacity for semi-automatic rim-fire long guns, or for other long guns that are not semi-automatics.

This must have been a trick question... i have read the info a few time and I still don't know what the correct answer should have been for you!
bj

Post by bj »

DanO wrote:Thanks guys! I did the test over the phone this afternoon and I got 29 out of 30 correct. I did read the book and some notes from an instructor I know and it made a huge difference. Even though I hunt alot and have hunted for over 30 years the manual is essential to passing the test. The test wasn't tough if you read the manual.

Answer:
see below (way down)

unlimited

sorry Dan, but i think you've/they've left out an important part of the question...the question doesn't specify if the firearm is non or restricted, whether the firearm is semi automatic or other, etc...there's probably a couple of words missing here or if it's "exactly as you've stated" the question is rediculous and can have many answers...

way to go on the test !......
Pydpiper

Post by Pydpiper »

Congratulations! :D
WMU 91
Boo string
DanO

Post by DanO »

Now that I think about it you guys are right.

The test was for non-restricted firearms. And it was a rim fire weapon in the question I think. Which would make it unlimited. I didn't remember reading that info.

Dan O.