Lost my # 1 hunting partner ....

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

R.J.

Lost my # 1 hunting partner ....

Post by R.J. »

My Sally is gone .... :cry:

She had some internal problems that finally caught up with her in the field late yesterday afternoon ...

Her spirit was high over the last few months , but she deteriorated rapidly in the last few weeks ...

A check up a few weeks ago confirmed what I feared the worse ... Most canine intestinal cancer is advanced when diagnosed resulting in a poor prognosis for recovery ... and with her age we decided to let her ride it out and enjoy her time in the field ..

She colapsed yesterday on a Jack Rabbit hunt with me ... I carried her back to the truck .... wrapped her in a blanket , and she drew her last breaths beside me as we drove to the vet ...

Here are some of my favorite pictures as tribute to my wonderfull Springer Sally ...

She always worked hard ... never sherked a task ..

Always determined on a retrieve ... fur or feather ...

Dog tired after two days at Pelee or a heavy morning for geese ... She was always there for me ... I will miss her at my side ...

In the last months she was losing weight and her back end was acting up more and more ... but she still enjoyed the advetures with her tag along buddy Spike

I hope there is such a place and she can hook up with Mikey V. to continue the hunt ...

I miss her already .... :cry: :cry:

In Loving Memory ... " Sally Johnson " June 1996 - Jan 2008

A poem that a friend sent me ...
Treat me kindly, my beloved master, for no heart in all the world is more grateful for kindness than the loving heart of me.

Do not break my spirit with a stick for though I should lick your hand between the blows, your patience and understanding will more quickly teach me the things you would have me do.

Speak to me often, for your voice is the world's sweetest music, as you must know by the fierce wagging of my tail when your footstep falls upon my waiting ear.

When it is cold and wet, please take me inside, for I am now a domesticated animal, no longer used to bitter elements. And I ask no greater glory than the privilege of sitting at your feet beside the hearth. Though had you no home, I would rather follow you through ice and snow than rest upon the softest pillow in the warmest home in all the land, for you are my god and I am your devoted worshiper.

Keep my pan filled with fresh water, for although I should not reproach you were it dry, I cannot tell you when I suffer thirst. Feed me clean food, that I may stay well, to romp and play and do your bidding, to walk by your side, and stand ready, willing and able to protect you with my life should your life be in danger.

And, beloved master, should the great Master see fit to deprive me of my health or sight, do not turn me away from you. Rather, hold me gently in your arms as skilled hands grant me the merciful boon of eternal rest and I will leave you knowing the last breath I drew, my fate was ever safest in your hands.
See Ya. ... R.J. > " Remember , Trophies are measured by the time and energy expended to get them , not the size or quantity of the quarry "
Grizzly Adam

Post by Grizzly Adam »

Sorry to hear of your loss. You have my condolences.

Glad you had her! :D
Grizz
NewGuy

Post by NewGuy »

Very sorry to hear of you're loss R.J.
Looks like she lived life to it's fullest right til the end.
Big John

sally

Post by Big John »

:cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:
Breaks my Heart RJ.
Don't know what to say except, She's gone to a "better" place, where game is plentiful, birds are everywhere, and Dogs of the past are waiting for her to join the team. I've got three up there waitng for me. I know I'm going to have a blast when we meet up again some day.

Take Care Friend.

John
Phoenix - 375 gr. BEE's (babyneilsons)
Micro 315 - 410 gr. Zombies/Lumenoks
Micro 355. - Punisher-Zombies/Lumenoks

Arrowmaker - Retired
[email protected]
VixChix

Post by VixChix »

R.J. I'm so very sorry to hear about Sally! I've held too many dogs as they took their last breaths and I know how heartbreaking it is. Nothing helps the hurt you feel. Sally will always be part of you - she may not run by your side anymore, but the love and memories you shared are forever. My deepest condolences to you and your family!
Vixen, Micro 315, HHA Optimizer, Boo & VixenMaster strings, Munch Mounts, Dr. Stirrup accessories.
CH

Post by CH »

I to will miss her very much i shot some of my first birds off her my first peelee hunt and to one of my favorite pictures on my wall her sitting beside blaine my son age 2 on his first deer drive on a toboggan cheers to Sally she was also one of my close hunting partners too shes in a better place :( :(
chris4570

Post by chris4570 »

Damn!! Such a wonderful dog, family member. She had so much energy!! And desire to please.

I am saddened to hear of her passing. Hopefully you can find some comfort knowing she lived life to the fullest.

Take care RJ!!

Dogs truely are mans best friend. That's why it is so hard when they go.
Last edited by chris4570 on Thu Jan 24, 2008 7:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
You can take the man out of the woods but you can't take the woods out of the man.

"Celebrate your harvest with a Bloodtrail Ale(tm)!!"
"It CAN Be Done!"
Rage_A_Holic

Post by Rage_A_Holic »

I'm so sorry to hear that R.J.

I fell in love with her through the pictures you've posted over the last year. She really was a wonderful gal.
[img]http://img169.imageshack.us/img169/948/sig2ty6.jpg[/img]
saxman

Post by saxman »

I can tell she had a good life with a good friend.
Scott
http://www.myspace.com/saxman1

Take a kid hunting
They don't remember their best day of watching TV

Excalibur Equinox
TruGlo Red/Green Dot
NGSS Absorber by NewGuy
Custom strings by BOO
Groundpounder Top Mount
ACF Member - 2011
hikerman

Post by hikerman »

Sorry for your loss RJ. A good dog is family. Always heard.
Exocet 175#
Easton, 2216
2"vanes
G5 Montech 125g.
Boo String.
raydaughety

Post by raydaughety »

R.J., I'm not sure what to say other than we are praying for you and your family. Please do not deprive yourself the need to grieve as it is necessary for the healing process. I feel like I know Sally from her pictures that we all so dearly love and will miss your adventures afield. If there is anything that we can do, please call on us, we're only a click away.

God Bless,
God Bless !!!!!!!!!

Ray
Normous

Post by Normous »

We have watched her in the photos that you have shared with us over the years. She always looked so proud of her pleasure she brought you and us too through your photos.Sorry for your loss.
EXCALFFLICTION 1991 ->>----------> 2024
Matrix 355
Huskemaw and Leupold crossbow optics.
Boo Strings
SWAT BH's and TOTA heads.
Teach Your Family How To Hunt So You Don't Have To Hunt For Your Family
raydaughety

Post by raydaughety »

Dear Mr. RJ. My Dad just told me about Sally and I wanted to tell you that I'm so sorry, I know it hurts but it's ok to cry. Sally was your friend and I know that you loved her a lot. We believe in Jesus and know that he will help you. We will pray for you every day and we won't forget.

Your friend,

Tyler
God Bless !!!!!!!!!

Ray
bucont

Post by bucont »

I feel your pain, I did the same a week ago. Cancer got my boy as well. 9 year brittany spaniel, I miss him so. :cry: Sorry to hear about your friend as well.
Jackbass

Post by Jackbass »

Rick,Sorry to hear of your loss.I know the feeling ,as I lost my number one hunting partner last May.Time will help heal the heart ,and Sally will always be with you in memory,Take Care,Doug.