4 season tent to fit 5?

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

Pydpiper

4 season tent to fit 5?

Post by Pydpiper »

My son and I took a run at camping Saturday night, around midnight when it dropped to about -15 I put serious thought into a new tent, perhaps one with a wood stove.
Anybody have any experience with a decent tent that can house a small family of 5 for a week or so?
Any particular brand to look for?
Thanks
David
If you are not willing to learn, nobody can help you, if you are willing, nobody can stop you.
A bowhunter with a passion for shooting firearms.
WMU 91
Boo string
Normous

Post by Normous »

I would call my Cabelas Alaskan Guide 8 person tent a four season tent. During a moose hunt it was able to withstand cosiderable snow weight with its 6 pole design, without colapsing. The ability to withstand colapse due to winter snow makes it a four season.
That tent unfortunatly could not be used with a wood stove. Some other safe heating would be needed in the winter.
I give that tent 10/10 in my book.
EXCALFFLICTION 1991 ->>----------> 2024
Matrix 355
Huskemaw and Leupold crossbow optics.
Boo Strings
SWAT BH's and TOTA heads.
Teach Your Family How To Hunt So You Don't Have To Hunt For Your Family
Grizzly Adam

Post by Grizzly Adam »

I've got an Alaskan Guide tent, too.

Good stuff!

Tough tent ... very very windproof ... very very rainproof ... very very creepy-crawly proof.

Like Enourmous said, no fires!
Grizz
Hi5

Post by Hi5 »

Pydpiper

How much will weight be a factor? Canvas is best for allowingin fresh air, but makes for a heavier tent. If you are going to burn wood, forget about any synthetic fabric. Would your campsite be one you would move on a frequent basis or would it instead be a "headquarters" that you would use for a more extended time?

The Woods "Prospector" canvas tents are not especially handy to move around, but in the days when people actually wintered in a tent, would be the type used. If you do put in a wood burning appliance in your tent, don't forget to have a spark arrestor, or you may get a bunch of small holes in the tent roof. That's if you are lucky. If you are not lucky, you may set fire to the roof!
"Gun Control Laws"--trying to nag criminals into submission.
Pydpiper

Post by Pydpiper »

Weight would not be a factor, it would transported by quad. The interior heat is a must says the wife, so I need to explore ideas that have the ability to use a wood stove. :D
If you are not willing to learn, nobody can help you, if you are willing, nobody can stop you.
WMU 91
Boo string
Hi5

Post by Hi5 »

Have a look at the LeBaron catalogue at a Woods Prospector tent. Thats' the kind an outfitter would use, and they would only want something durable and functional. Canvas will be best for winter use, as moisture and cumbustion gases vent naturally through the fabric. Synthetic fabric won't. Plus natural fibre is less flamable and is more heat resistant.

It's heavy though, and can be quickly ruined by mildew. I've hunted moose in -30, winter tenting. If you want to discuss this further, PM me, or I can provide my phone number so we can chat.
chris4570

Post by chris4570 »

I 've got one of the Woods Prospector tents. The small one, 10'x12'. Very sturdy tent.. Takes some work to set up, especially by yourself. But they stay up!! The first time you fire up the stove it will smell inside the tent so get it going before you retire for the night.

Depending how it was setup you could probably have four guys with cots in that tent.
You can take the man out of the woods but you can't take the woods out of the man.

"Celebrate your harvest with a Bloodtrail Ale(tm)!!"
"It CAN Be Done!"
bbbwb

Tent

Post by bbbwb »

I recommend the Prospector tent. I purchase 1 for moose/deer hunting and use a small wood stove for heat. Cut wood on site.Purchased the poles to go with the tent which are an interior frame set up and have also used wood poles cut on site for an exterior frame support.Both have their advantages as well as disadvantages. Tent works excellent. I use an ordinary poly tarp over the top of the tent to act as a "fly". I use a tarp that is longer than the tent and thus provides a canopy over the door providing protection for cooking etc out of any precipitation. You will have to buy separately and install the stove pipe ring for the chimney of your stove.
I purchased mine at Le Baron. I chose to pick up at the Markham store rather than have it shipped from Montreal. Shipping all comes from Montreal. The Mississauga and Markham stores will not ship.

bbbwb
schnarrfuss

Post by schnarrfuss »

I was thinking of picking up a Alaskan Guide Model tent for moose hunting this year also. The only one I can find anywhere that has a full size fly to cover the entire tent.
"Hunting is not a matter of life or death. It's much more important than that."

Exomag-Lumizone-Thunderbolts-Slicks-
Blasers-GroundpounderMount-CustomBooString

Bowtech Destroyer Compound Bow Fully Loaded
Hi5

Post by Hi5 »

Our hunting party nearly killed ourselves. We were using a propane "sunflower" heater.

Ordinarily, there is enough air movement through a canvas wall that carbon monoxide is not a concern. However, we threw a synthetic tarp over top to "hold in the heat". It did. It also held in combustion gasses.

We were wondering why we all had headaches in the morning, even though we hadn't yet broken open the whiskey. The headaches stopped the same night we shut off the heater. That was a close call, and it was foolishness. It was also unnecessary because we all had warm sleeping bags, and the heater produced enough heat we didn't actually need to use a fly.

When you use a wood heater the combustion gasses are vented through the stack, so that is not a problem.

Canvas is very forgiving. Still, when you alter the equation by using a fly, it's best to be thoughtfull about the possible consequences. If you are doing a lot of cooking inside the tent, don't forget that those combustion gases aren't being vented up a stack.
bbbwb

Tent

Post by bbbwb »

The point about breathability is valid and it was a consideration on my mind.. However, with the prospector tent, the doors and window are tag tied and have screening but no plastic cover for rain. The front door is full width of the tent. The fly that I have been using is situated, even with the interior frame system, to allow plenty of air space for circulation between tent and fly. Although not a big benefit, there is no floor and thus there is a slight opportunity for incoming air at base of walls, depending on how efficiently it is erected considering weather.
Durability has been verified in the longevity that these tents have been in use ---trappers, prospectors , forest fire work etc. I was advised by manufacturer that these tents will last 5-6 years full time exposure, ------ lifetime with 2-3 week (hunting, fishing etc.) exposure annually.
I have the 12x14x7.5x4 ---Industrial, weight-65 pounds. It packs/rolls into a bundle that compares to the size of an extra large packsack. I wrap it and tie with rope to provide easy gripping to move enroute to camp. I have an Argo to facilitate transport of camp equipment to site. Three hunters with gear can stay comfortably. The front area outside under the fly is used for the cooking etc. I have been very well pleased and would not hesitate to recommend.
bbbwb
Pydpiper

Post by Pydpiper »

I have spent the last couple days looking into all the suggestions, thanks for the experiences, that is more important than anything.
WMU 91
Boo string
A.W

Post by A.W »

I have a trailer parked on 200 acres. The first thing I bought was a 9v portable carbon monoxide detector. A

$20-25 investment that can save you a life time of hurt.
[img]http://photobucket.com/albums/b38/allan_w_/th_tinybuck3hj1.gif[/img]

Exocet your options and exCalibur8 your sights.
saxman

Post by saxman »

I am looking at the Alaskan Guide tent from Cabelas but I saw one tent that uses ISQ individual sleeping pods that attatch to the tent and do not take space away from the main room that can accomidate a stove.
Here is the link
http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/templ ... 02107&rid=
Scott
http://www.myspace.com/saxman1

Take a kid hunting
They don't remember their best day of watching TV

Excalibur Equinox
TruGlo Red/Green Dot
NGSS Absorber by NewGuy
Custom strings by BOO
Groundpounder Top Mount
ACF Member - 2011