Ontario 3D crossbow shooters

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

Stash

Ontario 3D crossbow shooters

Post by Stash »

The Ontario Association of Archers last fall passed a new set of competition rules.

They lifted the previous 280 fps rule for compound bows and changed it to 5 grains per pound, which would allow speeds in excess of 350 fps for a long draw shooter with a high-speed bow.

However, they decided to continue with a 300 FPS speed limit for crossbows.

This did not seem reasonable to me, so in December I asked the OAA Board to reconsider and raise that limit to 350, which would permit all current production crossbows (except the Stryker) to be useable with a reasonably available arrow. The 300 fps rule would make many newer bows, including the Exomax/Equinox and possibly the Exocet/Vortex, and many top-end bows from other manufacturers, illegal for 3D competition.

The Board discussed this matter, but rejected the request.

I have again requested the Board to reconsider the issue - the Board does have the power to change shooting rules temporarily, subject to ratification at the next Annual General Meeting.

If you are an OAA member and are in favour of raising the OAA 3D speed limit for crossbows from 300 to 350 fps, please contact a Board member with your input.

They have a meeting scheduled for May, and this issue is on the agenda. We can get this changed in time for the OAA 3D Championships this summer.

Thanks.
xbowking

Post by xbowking »

that is a very good idea , i have been shooting 3D with my Exocet 175 for several years now and i am always checking to see if im shooting 300fps or a little under , i even had to buy my own chrony , if they raised it to 350 i think it might bring out more xbow shooters , i will be at the championships this year, & the triple crown . Dave.
xbowking

Post by xbowking »

so for example a compound with a peak draw weight of say - 65lbs would have to be shooting an arrow of no less than 325 grains in weight , so with the new fast bows on the market today , is there alot of them shooting over 300 fps ??
bait pile willie

Post by bait pile willie »

I help run a 3-d shoot at forest city archers,and i dont think a lot of the targets could take the pounding,some would be pass throughs and at the price of the targets you cant afford to replace them on a regular basis.its tough enough pulling arrows from a 300 ft bow let alone a 350 ft one.
Toast

Post by Toast »

They don't allow crossbow users at my gun club on the 3D range. Too much damage to the targets...
Doug
Stash

Post by Stash »

Too much damage to the targets...
So, how exactly does a 22/64" diameter Laser II weighing 365 grains travelling 340 fps shot out of an Exomax cause more damage to a 3D target than a 22/64" Gold Tip Series 22 weighing 365 grains travelling 340 fps shot out of a PSE X-Force compound?

:?:
Big John

3d

Post by Big John »

That's a question I would like answered as well? :shock:
Phoenix - 375 gr. BEE's (babyneilsons)
Micro 315 - 410 gr. Zombies/Lumenoks
Micro 355. - Punisher-Zombies/Lumenoks

Arrowmaker - Retired
[email protected]
xbowking

Post by xbowking »

Yes that really makes me wonder also when people say that crossbows do more damage to a target than a compound bow ........... How ??
xbowking

Post by xbowking »

Stash wrote:
Too much damage to the targets...
So, how exactly does a 22/64" diameter Laser II weighing 365 grains travelling 340 fps shot out of an Exomax cause more damage to a 3D target than a 22/64" Gold Tip Series 22 weighing 365 grains travelling 340 fps shot out of a PSE X-Force compound?

:?:
Hey toast this is a question you need to take to your club and see if they can give you a reasonable answear .
bait pile willie

I have shot several3-d with my vixen, and since there are SO FEW crossbow shooters that will come to a shoot Iam always teamed up with compound shooters most of them wit the latest bows,my arrows always penatrate way more deeper,and some times it takes 2 to pull the arrow,even witharrow lube on it.some of the compound guys dont wan to shoot with you.2 yrs ago I switched and started to shoot my recurve at 3-ds.never targets were always way harder to pull arrows and old targets you sometimes would get penetration upto the vanes.so if a 290 ft/sec will do this what will a exomax do?
Stash

Post by Stash »

There is now an on-line poll at the OAA website www.oaa-archery.on.ca for input, preferably from members.
bait pile willie

each individual club can set its own reg. and standardsas far as speed.I attend shoots at 5 fairly local clubs,the most I have ever shot again in crossbow is 5 other shooters,so I think it is not much of a concern.at the price of replacing targets,having them shot out by high speed bows will be a problem.I knw because I AM ON THE BOARD AT THE LOCAL CLUB AND RESPONSIBLE FOR TARGET SET UP.YOU GUYS WHO ARE WORRIED ABOUT THIS,TRY PULLING SOME ARROWS FROM 3-D TARGETS AND YOU WILL SEE WHAT I MEAN.
Don

Post by Don »

bait pile willie wrote:I have shot several3-d with my vixen, and since there are SO FEW crossbow shooters that will come to a shoot Iam always teamed up with compound shooters most of them wit the latest bows,my arrows always penatrate way more deeper,and some times it takes 2 to pull the arrow,even witharrow lube on it.some of the compound guys dont wan to shoot with you.2 yrs ago I switched and started to shoot my recurve at 3-ds.never targets were always way harder to pull arrows and old targets you sometimes would get penetration upto the vanes.so if a 290 ft/sec will do this what will a exomax do?
There are generally so few crossbow shooters because of the abuse they take, such as the crossbow doing more damage, excuse they use to keep them off the course.

You need to live in the Belleville to Cornwall area becasue generally there are at least around 10 shooters at most of the shots in our area.
As for the arrow penetration and sticking in the target if you are using carbon arrows for target shooting the problem comes more from the friction of the arrow against the target melts the foam and sticks to the arrow.

I shoot a 165 lb Exocet and stayed with aluminum shafts because they pull out of targets much easier than Carbon do.

Bring a bar of ivory soap and rub it on the first couple of inches of the shaft it too melts as it passed through the foam and allows the arrow to pull out much much easier.

Crossbow arrows do not penetrate any further into the target than a vert bow arrow, the bolt is shorter which gives all the impression that it sinks deeper into the target. I have proven this time and agian to vert bowers that say that same thing, I carry a sharpie with me and one starts his ranting I offer to pay for his arrow and buy him a beer if his arrow has a half inch of shaft less in the target than my crossbow bolt. Haven't bought an arrow or a beer yet.

The shorter bolts are also harder to pull because there is less shaft sticking out of the target than a vert bow full length arrow.

Use the ivory soap, twist the arrow as you pull out, and get either a gorilla grip arrow puller or even better talk to BJ about one of his arrow pullers they are slick and I wouldn't go anywhere without it.

Cheers,

Don :lol:
xbowking

Post by xbowking »

Yes the soap does work good, i have just started using Woodys arrow lube , just rub a little on the first 3 inches of your arrow and pulling is a breeze.
bait pile willie

keeping the speed at300fps keeps it on a level playing field.I dont think it would be fair for a shooter at 290fps to shoot against someone at 350 fps the idea of 3-d is distance judgement,at350 you can be off abit and get away with it.the only solution is to have 2 classes .one for 3oo bows and one open class for anything goes.so if you shoot at340 fps you will have the same issue wih a guy shooting a stryker at 400fps.