unstringing equinox mishap:(

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

mchurch

unstringing equinox mishap:(

Post by mchurch »

I have read several posts that recommend unstringing the X-bow between use. I decided to do this to relax the limbs. I used the stringing device and the cocking aid to cock the crossbow and remove the string. All went well up until this point. I put my hands around the string, pulled back and pulled the trigger to release the tension. before I even knew what was going on, the stringing aid slipped out of my hands. The left limb hit rug. The right limb hit a thin walled plastic box, punching a hole in it. The right mag tip didn't have a chip removed, but a ver small section of the paint is gone. I can't see any cracks on the limbs or damage to the magtip but I haven't restrung it since:( My question is how I could have avoided this? Using the rope cocker to let the destringer down slow like when you uncock it without an arrow? Do you think the limbs are safe to use? I don't want them exploding on me.
Excalibur Revx
Hawke Xb 30 pro
16.5 inch wyverncreations.com zombie slayers
SWAT juggernaut broadhead
wabi

Post by wabi »

Chances are if everything look fine, it is!
The finish will chip fairly easily from impact as you describe, and odds are it's only a cosmetic blemish and no real damage.
I have never attempted to let mine down with the rope cocking aid (either from full draw or with a stringing aid), so I can't help there. Letting it down as you were attempting isn't really that difficult, but you have to grip the string (or stringing aid) very firmly, and pull back forcefully to take all tension off the claws before you pull the trigger!
But I guess you already found that out. :wink:
I'd re-string it, cock it, then go over the limbs with a cotton ball to be sure there are no splinters or cracks. If the cotton rubs over it without catching or snagging on anything the limbs are probably fine.
wabi
Boo

Post by Boo »

I use a rope cocker on the stringing aid. Of course it cuts the tension produced by the limbs in half.
Some people just like stepping on rakes
Pydpiper

Post by Pydpiper »

Typically these bows will withstand a dry fire from a full draw, you were likely less than half of that with the stringing aid. It is highly unlikely you did any damage to the bow.
The old faithful way of checking the limbs for damage (usually shows in "splintering") is to run a cotton ball up and down the limbs and watching carefully for snags. Often what you will see is the texturing/cracking of the clear coat on the inside curve of the limbs, this is not an issue, it is a very common sight on these bows after a mishap like yours.
In the future use the rope cocker, hook the loops over the string and pull all the tension up with one hand (one handle), hang on tight and lower it down, it is far easier than you could imagine.
If that is the worst you do to your bow you are in pretty good shape! Mine has endured far worse and still functions like a precision watch.
*EDIT* Unless you are not intending to use your bow for a very long time, like a whole season then do not worry about taking off the string, the limbs will be just fine. The exception to this would be if the bow is going to be in a higher than normal area of heat, like a car trunk. But, some of us never take off a string (some for many reported years) and have had absolutely no affect on the limbs.
Last edited by Pydpiper on Fri Mar 14, 2008 7:55 am, edited 1 time in total.
If you are not willing to learn, nobody can help you, if you are willing, nobody can stop you.
A bowhunter with a passion for shooting firearms.
WMU 91
Boo string
saxman

Post by saxman »

I use the rope cocker to do this,the bow should be fine,they are pretty tough. :shock:
Scott
http://www.myspace.com/saxman1

Take a kid hunting
They don't remember their best day of watching TV

Excalibur Equinox
TruGlo Red/Green Dot
NGSS Absorber by NewGuy
Custom strings by BOO
Groundpounder Top Mount
ACF Member - 2011
travis

Post by travis »

dont feel bad i did the exact same thing with my equinox at the end of last season and like yours i marked the mag tip a bit but everything else was fine. i now use the rope cocking aid everytime and it is quite easy and alot safer.
exuinox, groundpounder mount,
right stuff scope packeage
greatest WIFE and kids got me this for fathers day.
Grizzly Adam

Post by Grizzly Adam »

Hey, Mchurch ... welcome to the forum! :D

Sorry about your mishap.

Wabi's right. The key is taking the pressure off the claws that hold the string when the bow is cocked, and then tripping the trigger.
Grizz
awshucks

Post by awshucks »

A friend who had a Vixen and didn't know Excal made Emax's tried to let my Emax string down via the two hand thumb trip the trigger method. Before I could yell "NO NO NO". The look on his face was priceless!
"Eze 18:21"
mchurch

Post by mchurch »

Dudes, your help on the unstringing question is much appreciated :D Things have gone much smoother
Excalibur Revx
Hawke Xb 30 pro
16.5 inch wyverncreations.com zombie slayers
SWAT juggernaut broadhead
tuskntine

Post by tuskntine »

Get yourself a Crankaroo ! Works great , lasts a long time.
Love your neighbor, but keep your guns oiled.