sharpening a gut hook?

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

Pydpiper

sharpening a gut hook?

Post by Pydpiper »

One of my favorite hunting knives has a gut hook, during the processing of my deer this fall I sharpened my knife a half a dozen times, but no sharpener I have can deal with the gut hook which also got dull during the process.
How are these supposed to be sharpened? Is there a typical way or is up to me and my dremel to figure it out?
If you are not willing to learn, nobody can help you, if you are willing, nobody can stop you.
A bowhunter with a passion for shooting firearms.
WMU 91
Boo string
Boo

Post by Boo »

This should work David. http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/templ ... 4887&Nty=1
You could also try a chain saw file and or the edge of a triangular ceramic sharpening stick.
Practice on road kills! :shock:
Some people just like stepping on rakes
Pydpiper

Post by Pydpiper »

I searched all of Bass Pro today, didn't see anything like that. I did pick up the G5 Sportsman though, thanks. :D
I will dig in to my round diamond files and see what I have, if it is just a matter of a round file than I can make due, that brass handle is pretty attractive though.
If you are not willing to learn, nobody can help you, if you are willing, nobody can stop you.
WMU 91
Boo string
Grizzly Adam

Post by Grizzly Adam »

Hey, Pydpiper ...

Here's an old country boy's trick that could help you, if you want to use it.

Emery cloth held tightly around a properly sized dowel works wonders in sharpening such a curved edge ... simple, effective, and cheap.

For that matter, emery cloth laid on a perfectly flat surface will match any whetstone for sharpening flat edges. This is no secret, but it isn't widely known, either.

Give it a try, if you like! :D
Grizz
Grizzly Adam

Post by Grizzly Adam »

After I posted my reply to you, I googled "sharpening with emery cloth" and found a thread on a forum where the guy was doing just that ... complete with pics ... hope that helps even more, if you use the method.

http://www.knifeforums.com/forums/showt ... id/760830/

By the way, his advice to use a marker to color the edge is rock-solid advice when doing any freehand sharpening.

Good luck! :D
Grizz
LeGrand

Post by LeGrand »

Boo, that's exactly the sharpener I have. I bought that many years ago at Le Baron. Don't know if they still sell them.
Old Indian saying, if a leaf falls from a tree in the woods the turkey will see it, the deer will hear it, the bear will smell it, the moose will not eat it, but be on the look-out for LeGrand.
crowe

Post by crowe »

I use a fine chainsaw file on mine
Pydpiper

Post by Pydpiper »

Well, I have lots of suggestions to try out, a couple have been repeated and I am going to give it a try.
Thanks!
WMU 91
Boo string
shizuo

Re: sharpening a gut hook?

Post by shizuo »

I just bought a gut hook and exactly I was just thinking to sharpen it when its not that sharp anymore so Thank you for the advise.