Wanted: Your Field experiences with complete pass throughs .

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

sevenmmstalker

Wanted: Your Field experiences with complete pass throughs .

Post by sevenmmstalker »

My brother and I just bought 2 exomax xbows and have been trying diferent arrow weights and heads etc. with accuracy being paramount.
The accuracy with all we have shot is simply amazing.
What we would like to know from you guys that have done it, what weight arrow you are shooting, type head and grains, velocity and distance to deer to get a complete pass through.
We got the exomax so we could produce velocity and maintain arrow mass to produce adequate energy for the passthru. We plan on shooting a cut on contact head, like the magnus stinger , or steel force.
Your experiences and knowledge would be appreciated .
Hunters do it in the woods.
Exomax
chris4570

Post by chris4570 »

Don't hit any major bones(shoulders, spine) and you shouldn't have any problems getting a pass through.

I shoot a 175# Exocet and get pass throughs with ease, if I do my part.
You can take the man out of the woods but you can't take the woods out of the man.

"Celebrate your harvest with a Bloodtrail Ale(tm)!!"
"It CAN Be Done!"
ranger66

Post by ranger66 »

THis year I got 3 pass throughs on deer with my exocet 200 using goldtip lazerII's with 100gr broadheads, range from 20-35yrds, and to tell you the truth since all the deer I have shot with my excalibur's they all have been pass through's except 1 which I spined.
Golden Eagle

Post by Golden Eagle »

I shoot the 175# Phoenix with the factory bolts. Tipped with 100 grain slick tricks and flying right around 300 FPS, weighing 362 grains, my results have been,

2005 26 yards 180 pound Buck passthrough and an additional 12 yards.
2006 22 yards 170 pound Buck passthrough and an additional 10 yards
2007 20 yards 135 pound Buck passthrough and an additional 20 yards

These have all been very good Broadside shots from the ground.
All 3 deer where uphill from me and not on level ground.
xbowking

Post by xbowking »

last Sept i got a complete pass through on my bear, GT II arrow with brass insert about 400gn (total) broke through one rib on entry ant chiped a rib on exit then went into a ceder tree and sunk in past the blades to 1/2" up the shaft, Exocet 175lb w/ mag tip limbs & FFF boo string 100gr fixed 4 blade muzzy @ 17 yrds , bear went 50 yrd and droped dead. Bow was cronyed @ 298 fps . Dave.
"DON'T BE SCARED JUST GET A BOO"
PREMIUM CROSSBOW STRINGS
Bohning Blazer Vanes Rock
saxman

Post by saxman »

I shot a doe at 20 yards from a treestand with factory arrows(dont know the weight)I used a G5 Montec 100grn and got a complete pass through,I caught part of both shoulders,and the heart,the arrow buried several inches in the ground as well,that was with an ExoMax.
http://www.excaliburcrossbow.com/phpBB2 ... hlight=doe
Scott
http://www.myspace.com/saxman1

Take a kid hunting
They don't remember their best day of watching TV

Excalibur Equinox
TruGlo Red/Green Dot
NGSS Absorber by NewGuy
Custom strings by BOO
Groundpounder Top Mount
ACF Member - 2011
DaGriz

Post by DaGriz »

Last fall I shot a large (127lb dressed) doe at 22yds with an XX75 2219 arrow that weighs 396grs plus the 125gr 3 blade Muzzy. Shot from a 175lb Horton Legend. I got complete pass through and , at the time I didn't realize it, passed completely through another fair sized doe (103lbs dressed) that was right behind the first one. I found it after finding the first deer 40+/- yards away, field dressing it and draggin it back to my stand. When I looked for the arrow I found the second blood trail and followed it for 20+/- yds to the second deer. Arrow went thru it and still another 10yds.

Every deer and bear I have shot with a crossbow out to 33yds have been complete pass through except one. I hit the off side shoulder blade and the arrow protruded only 4 inches.
You sure you can skin griz, pilgrim??

Life is too short to carry an UGLY knife!
fletch

Post by fletch »

I have a max and shoot GT 2's with 100 Slick Tricks and have got 4 passthroughs and 1 did not because it hit the opposite side shoulder blade but the deer was still dead within 1 min. One shot broke ribs on both sides and continued 76 yds out into the field. I found that 1 by seeing the blood smear in the snow out in the field, the shot was from field level so that's why it continued so far.
wabi

Post by wabi »

I've shot several deer over the years with a Vixen, an Exocet (175#), and a Phoenix. As long as you put the arrow in the heart/lung area and miss major bones it isn't a question of if it will be a pass-through, but how far the arrow is going to travel after it goes through the deer.
wabi
Big John

pass through

Post by Big John »

I use 430 gr. bolt's (arrows) for the past couple seasons. All shots complete pass through with Exomax. Including Bear and Deer. Before that shooting Exomag 200, with about 380 gr. arrows, same all pass through's. All shot's 35 yds. or under. Before that shooting an Exocet 175. Factory arrows, carbon express. As well 2216's aluminuim's. All pass through's except one which was spined. Stuck in all the way to the fletching.
Phoenix - 375 gr. BEE's (babyneilsons)
Micro 315 - 410 gr. Zombies/Lumenoks
Micro 355. - Punisher-Zombies/Lumenoks

Arrowmaker - Retired
[email protected]
DuckHunt

Post by DuckHunt »

My Exomax bagged nine deer over the past two seasons using three different brands/types of 100 grain broadheads. Most shots were about 30 yards. One was 10 yards and another 40. Everything was a pass through. My son bagged a button buck with a 35 yard shot that broke both front shoulders. It too was a pass through. Eight of the nine shots were with the old standard Excal arrows (GT Laser II) and the last was with the new Excal Firebolts.

I did shoot one from a stand down a hill that passed through a spike and traveled more than 50 yards past the deer before coming to a rest on the leaves.

Unless you manage to hit a very solid bone, I've come to expect a pass through. Unless my luck changes, I don't expect to be adding arrow weight to gain any penetration.

DuckHunt
ehntr

Post by ehntr »

One thing this is not going to provide you is any kind of reassurance that a particular set up is going to result in a pass through. It's where you hit the animal that makes that happen. You can shoot a moose with a 40# stickbow and get a pass through. I've had pass thoughs on moose on many occasions and the only determining factor is where I hit them....not the bow/arrow set up. One thing I have to say is I don't own a cross bow...that is somethiong I'm working on lol. I shoot 50# longbows/recurves, 60# compounds and 70# compounds. Never shot a moose with any of my stickbows but I have with my compounds...total arrow weights arround 400 grs, used NAP Thunderheads 100 gr, Magnus two blade (cut-on-contact) 100 gr, Muzzy 4 blade 100 gr. Anybody using the Muzzy 4 blade with their crossbows? Arrow fps 280 - 300 range depending on bow and arrow. Hit a shoulder on a deer and it's likely not going to pass through, between the ribs and it goes right through, hits one rib and still goes through, hits rib going in and rib going out it may or may not pass through. Your 225# ExoMax is going to make blasting through two ribs a lot easier though. Ribs are soft...when they aren't cooked...

These are my personal observations...
E/M/MOBUI330 (Finn-esse)
E/M/N335 (Finn-bad)
Click "User Control Panel", "Profile", Location: (you don't have to tell everyone you're "in a van down by the river") but for Pete's sake, what state/prov or country are you in?
sumner4991

Post by sumner4991 »

I've had pass throughs on every shot with the Exomax and the 100 grain fixed blade broadheads. Mainly because of the small cutting surface of the Wasps and Slick Tricks. I switched to a 2" cut, 100 grain, mechanical toward the end of last season. I shot a buck and a doe with the 2" and neither was a complete pass through. However, both of those deer dropped immediately. The buck(10 yards away and moving), I had gut shot and it went about 20 yards. The doe(20 yards away) dropped in her tracks. I'm going to add a little weight to achieve the pass through, however, I'm not going back to a small cut blade. I've gut shot deer with my .270 and they travel hundreds of yards . . .never had one drop from a gut shot so quickly and be dead. I've taken double lung pass throughs with the smaller cut fixed blades and the deer travel 60 yards before falling. In the thick brush, that's too far.

The power of the Exomax is VERY impressive . . .I hit a deer(25 yards away) just in front of the hind quarter, passed through the length of the body, glanced off the shoulder bone, exited the deer and traveled 25 yards and came to rest in the trunk of a tree.

The trick is getting a pass through and the arrow stop within 10 yards . . .just like the deer. That's why I switched to a 2" mechanical.

Let us know what you decide on and the results.
Last edited by sumner4991 on Mon Mar 31, 2008 9:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I'd rather wear out than rust out.
Perception trumps intention.

2006 Exomax w/Agingcrossbower Custom Stock
20" Easton Powerbolts w/125gr Trophy Ridge Stricknines & 2"Blazers
Boo Custom Strings
2006 Vixen
Woody Williams

Post by Woody Williams »

Crossbow - 7 for 7 with pass throughs.

The KE we get out of just about any crossbow there is NO problem getting pass throughs unless major bone is hit.
Woody Williams

We have met the enemy and he is us - Pogo Possum

Hunting in Indiana at [size=84][color=Red][b][url=http://huntingindiana.proboards52.com]HUNT-INDIANA[/url][/b][/color][/size]
8up

Post by 8up »

Unless you hit spine or shoulder shooting a crossbow it would be hard not to get a pass thru. I say this because I killed to bucks last year. the arrow weighed 425gr and the speed was 160fps thats 24 ft lb of KE. One of the 2 bucks I got a pass thru on. I broke a rib going in and chipped one coming out. This was a 10 yard shot.

Even a Vixen shooting an advertised speed of 285fps and a minimum weight arrow of 325gr has 59 ft lb of KE. At 30 yards you would still have twice as much KE as I had.

Your Exomax shooting a 400gr arrow at 325fps would have 77 ft lb of KE at 50 yds.

So unless my math is bad you should get a pass thru as long as you hit no major bones.