Rangefinder

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

Stosh

Rangefinder

Post by Stosh »

I am ready to buy one, Any tips? Any problems with a specific brand? Is one brand better and why?
Help Please,

Thanks, Stosh
bow4it

Post by bow4it »

I would like to hear some advice as well. I am leaning towards the Leupold RX II. Why.....It looks cool and I like the true range from a tree stand. Chime in if you have one.
wabi

Post by wabi »

Hate to say it, but the cheaper Bushnell is the one I started with and I have gone "full circle". All the bells & whistles are nice, but not really necessary, and the Bushnell is just as accurate (if not more accurate).
When hunting from an elevated stand I just range good reference points before I climb up.
wabi
Digger

nd is 8X

Post by Digger »

I have a Bushnell 450 and a Nikon 440. The Nikon is a tad more accurate and is 8X to the Bushnell's 4X
Digger
2008 Y25 Relayer #593 Boo string, lumizone
2-1984 Relayer,
2-1992 Wolverine
Excal Phoenix, acudraw, VARizone
T.P. Titan TL4, acudraw 50, Varizone
Vixen, Steddy Eddy, Varizone
Martin Rage
Martin Jaguar
PSE Infinity
Pydpiper

Post by Pydpiper »

I have the Bushnell 450, sorta wish I bought something a bit better now. It works fine, it does what I expect it too, but I am starting to get into long range rifle shooting and the 450 just doesn't reach out there, I knew that when I bought it though. Waterproof is something else I should have opted for, I spend a lot of time in the rain, and speaking of rain :? The Bushnell does not like to range through any obstacles, like rain, snow, fog or low light.
A new one is not in the budget right now, so it will work fine, the way it always has. :D
If you are not willing to learn, nobody can help you, if you are willing, nobody can stop you.
A bowhunter with a passion for shooting firearms.
WMU 91
Boo string
Fishn-Hunter

Post by Fishn-Hunter »

I have the Bushnell Yardage Pro Sport, it was cheep, I think it went on sale at Canadian Tire I can't remember for sure but it was under 200 for sure maybe even less than 150. I have had it for probly 5 years and it has served me well, its does not have many bells and wistles but it is accurate and quite compact and durable. I am still using it with confidence, I would be lost without it. I did see an add for the new Bushnell with "ARC" technology for shooting from an elevated position, has setting for archery and rifle. Looks pretty cool but I would assume expensive.
Fishn-Hunter
Family, Friends, Huntn & Fishn
xbowking

Post by xbowking »

I may be wrong ,i have been once , but isnt the ARC thing just for vertical bows to get the angle because when you look through the peep site at an angle it is different than being level with your target , i was under the impression that thery does not aply to crossbows and rifles :?:
"DON'T BE SCARED JUST GET A BOO"
PREMIUM CROSSBOW STRINGS
Bohning Blazer Vanes Rock
Fishn-Hunter

Post by Fishn-Hunter »

I don't think they specificaly said anything about crossbows but definately "rifles" and "bows" and it compensates for "Incline" so I don't see how it could be for vert bows only as you must aim low with crossbows as well when shooting at a downward angle at least with my experiances this has been the case. But maybe I am out to lunch. :?
Fishn-Hunter
Family, Friends, Huntn & Fishn
saxman

Post by saxman »

I have the Bushnell 450 as well.I use it when I get into my stand.
Scott
http://www.myspace.com/saxman1

Take a kid hunting
They don't remember their best day of watching TV

Excalibur Equinox
TruGlo Red/Green Dot
NGSS Absorber by NewGuy
Custom strings by BOO
Groundpounder Top Mount
ACF Member - 2011
dick195252

Post by dick195252 »

I have the Bushnell 450 allso, And it works just fine. I do not have to range over 200 yards though so if it is past that i do not know how it would perform.
Exomax, Lumizone, Boo String, NRA, ACf, Member, [Proud Grandpa!!!]
Doe Master
Site Admin

Post by Doe Master »

I know these are the longer range rangefinders but here was a comparison of the different types.
http://www.6mmbr.com/rangefinders.html
curmudgeon

Post by curmudgeon »

I have the Nikon 440, 11 to 475 yds. I think, but I have not figured out how to mount it atop my Xbow. It is vertical, Bushnell is Hz.
Rich

Post by Rich »

I have the RX-II and like it very much. I like the ARC function but the ranges I shoot in the tree stand doesn't really matter much. I didn't find the first/last object aquired function very useful and just disabled it, it had a difficult time aquiring objects when in those modes. It is very easy to use and fits in my hand nicely.

Rich
Woody Williams

Post by Woody Williams »

I have the Nikon 440 and wish I didn't .

The 8X is way too much for archery.

I have a VERY difficult time finding what I want to range in viewfinder.

200 yards? No problem. Raning a leaf at 30 yards? Big problem.

I recommend the The Bushnell Yardage Pro.
Woody Williams

We have met the enemy and he is us - Pogo Possum

Hunting in Indiana at [size=84][color=Red][b][url=http://huntingindiana.proboards52.com]HUNT-INDIANA[/url][/b][/color][/size]
MNDeerHunter

Post by MNDeerHunter »

I have a Nikon 440 Just got it last year and it works great for my uses (mainly just for archery)
Have not had any problems picking up ranges in snow or rain, have not used it for anything out past 100 yards - perfect for my needs. :lol: :lol:
Life goes by quick - so don't think about going hunting - get out there and DO IT!
Vortex
Lumizone
Customized Firebolts
Boo String
STS