Turkey Poaching - Tennessee charges 2 men, 2 juveniles

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

Woody Williams

Post by Woody Williams »

How low can someone stoop to bring in their own kids into poaching game?

Jeff Skelton, an assistant law-enforcement supervisor for the Tennessee Wildlife Resources Agency, called it "perhaps the most blatant violation of the turkey game laws in recent history."

Two Tennessee men and two juveniles have been cited on numerous charges after allegedly killing at least a dozen turkeys during that state's recent youth turkey hunt weekend.

Skelton said Billy Joe Davidson of Lewisburg and Leonard Williams of Culleoka apparently took the juveniles, ages 9 and 14, on a shooting spree down the Duck River last month.

"We think the poachers killed at least nine turkeys just on Sunday as they motored up and down the Duck River in a 16-foot flat-bottom boat, shooting some turkeys off tree limbs that had roosted for the night and using a spotlight to locate others," Skelton said.
The adults and the youngsters all face charges.

"The example set by the two adults is a shame by any standards," Skelton said. "But we also believe the young hunters have responsibilities for their actions."

Davidson is charged with hunting from a watercraft under power; spotlighting game; 10 counts of hunting, killing, possessing and transporting turkeys in closed season; hunting after legal shooting hours; and two counts of contributing to the delinquency of minors.
Williams is charged with hunting from a watercraft under power; spotlighting game; nine counts of hunting, killing, possessing and transporting turkeys in closed season; hunting after legal shooting hours; and contributing to the delinquency of minors.

The 14-year-old is charged with hunting from a watercraft under power; spotlighting game; six counts of exceeding his bag limit; violating the state's tagging law; shooting after legal hours; and hunting without a wildlife management area permit.

The 9-year-old is charged with hunting from a watercraft under power; spotlighting game; violating the state's tagging law; hunting without a wildlife management area permit; shooting after legal hours; and two counts of exceeding the daily bag limit.
Woody Williams

We have met the enemy and he is us - Pogo Possum

Hunting in Indiana at [size=84][color=Red][b][url=http://huntingindiana.proboards52.com]HUNT-INDIANA[/url][/b][/color][/size]
Big John

t

Post by Big John »

Unbelievable!! :roll: :roll:
I hope they get all they deserve. And lose all their gear and boat, as well as their licenses forever. There is no good reason for it all. Shame!!
Phoenix - 375 gr. BEE's (babyneilsons)
Micro 315 - 410 gr. Zombies/Lumenoks
Micro 355. - Punisher-Zombies/Lumenoks

Arrowmaker - Retired
[email protected]
Fox

Post by Fox »

I know it happens, too bad they did this to the kids.
Cossack

Post by Cossack »

Hereabouts they would forfeit their hunting right for 5 years. Such blatant disrespect fore the law is most unfortunate. Then they wonder why some third graders plotted to kill their teacher who 'disrespected' one of them by telling her to not stand on the chair while in class.
I'm all making it a felony so that they'd lose their right to won firearms.
saxman

Post by saxman »

I hope they havent created new poachers in these boys.
Unacceptable :D
Scott
http://www.myspace.com/saxman1

Take a kid hunting
They don't remember their best day of watching TV

Excalibur Equinox
TruGlo Red/Green Dot
NGSS Absorber by NewGuy
Custom strings by BOO
Groundpounder Top Mount
ACF Member - 2011
dick195252

Post by dick195252 »

Throw the book at them :evil: :evil: Maximum penalties :!: :!:
Exomax, Lumizone, Boo String, NRA, ACf, Member, [Proud Grandpa!!!]
Grizzly Adam

Post by Grizzly Adam »

I'm glad the officers made the pinch.

The adults should really be made to feel it!

I do wish the judge would be creative in sentencing the boys. It would be nice if they could do some serious and significant community service with hunt clubs or conservation groups ... maybe some good influence would rub off on them.

I have seen the lives of misdirected youth greatly changed by spending time with a responsible man or men. Creative sentencing can make all the difference with minors.

Of course, it might not ... but I think it's a shame not to try.
Grizz
DoDFire

Post by DoDFire »

Yeah this sucks,,,,,and to be in my home state :roll:

They should ban those folks from hunting for LIFE.
Huntsman, rest! thy chase is done
ecoaster

Post by ecoaster »

Pretty sad. I was in my tree a few years ago, on a Sunday, and had two guys come by with their two young boys. The men were both carrying shotguns :? . No gun hunting allowed in my area on Sundays. They spotted me and turned back on their heels. Minutes later I heard an ATV heading toward the guys at a high speed. The engine was shut off and I could hear people talking. I hope it was a conservation officer.

The two guys were immigrants (no english), so I'm sure the pleaded ignorance :roll: . I would be surprised if they even had a hunting licence.
I hunt for memories, the meat's a bonus!