Quck release rings/Lever Loks

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

Boo

Quck release rings/Lever Loks

Post by Boo »

http://www.weaver-mounts.com/products/grandSlam.aspx
I started using these last year and so far so good. The POI has not changed when going on and off. The price isn't bad either. It may make traveling with these bow a bit easier for some of you guys.
Some people just like stepping on rakes
schnarrfuss

Post by schnarrfuss »

Looks like a good idea. Do you use the low,medium or high ones for your excal??
"Hunting is not a matter of life or death. It's much more important than that."

Exomag-Lumizone-Thunderbolts-Slicks-
Blasers-GroundpounderMount-CustomBooString

Bowtech Destroyer Compound Bow Fully Loaded
Boo

Post by Boo »

I am using medium but it depends on what scope and how forward you put the scope.
Pydpiper

Post by Pydpiper »

I use these too because of Boos recommendation, on everything but my crossbow, they are strong and simple.
There is a small issue with them that the real picky people should be aware of. Because the mounts have screws on only one side the scope tends to twist to one side slightly as you complete the tightening, it is a very minor twist but is present. It is simple to rectify by keeping the scope a bit twisted to the opposite side prior to the final tightening stage.
I use them on two rifles and my shotgun.
If you are not willing to learn, nobody can help you, if you are willing, nobody can stop you.
A bowhunter with a passion for shooting firearms.
WMU 91
Boo string
shafferm

Post by shafferm »

Instead of installing them with the lock lever on the same side you could try flipping one around and then the amount of twisting should about cancel out if you slowly and evenly tighten them down. Just a thought to try.

-/\/\
Hi5

Post by Hi5 »

I suspect that as long as the stresses are identical each time you install, that the flexing won't matter much. Just remember to do things EXACTLY the same way each time. If you place the front mount on the base first, do it that way each time. If you tighten the front base first, do it first always, and especially, tighten with the same degree of torque each time.

I have used detachable Leupold rings and bases on my rifles and have been quite satisfied, even with a high recoiling rifle like a 378 Weatherby.
"Gun Control Laws"--trying to nag criminals into submission.
Boo

Post by Boo »

It isn't flexing the tube just rolls over a very small amount. I tighten the screws a bit at a time and alternate so that there is no large amount of rotation. This style of clamp used on these rings is one of the oldest proven systems around today. It really isn't a problem for most normal people. :)
Boo

Post by Boo »

I just realized that I was Pydpiper and I were not talking about the same thing. The lever locks screw down on both sides. The old quick release rings are indeed screwed down on one side only. Still one of my favorite rings.