BBD on opening day in Va(24lbs 11inch)

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

crazyfarmer

BBD on opening day in Va(24lbs 11inch)

Post by crazyfarmer »

I must admitt I havent done any scouting this season and I went into a woods on a farm I hadnt turkey hunted last year. I had seen a decent gobbler, 5-6jakes, and 15 hens in a cut beanfield last week so I knew birds were there. Just didnt have a clue where. I just showed up at daybreak and sure enough I heard a distant gobble. So I grabbed my gear and hiked a good 1/4mile. The 1 gobble became 2 different gobbles. Then 3-4 different gobbles all around but nothing very close. Knowing that I had seen 15 hens or so I didnt want to push to far to early so I situp and called/waited for a good 40mins with nothing coming close. The 2 I had setup on did answer but it seemed they wanted to head away. So then I decided to move and try one of the others I heard down the bottom. After walking another 1/8th mile or so LOL I finally heard him. He was still a good ways off so I just sat on a stump and started calling just to see if he would venture may way. Well I got no answer for a good 10mins so I broke out yet another of my 5 calls I had and I heard the thundering gobble coming closer so I went into oh crap mode and scrambled back about 50yards and setup my lone hen decoy. After finding somewhat of a decent tree I hit the crystal call again and he was roughly 50 yards and closing. Those of you that dont use mouth calls now know the situation. Do you get the gun up and hope he keeps coming, keep the call in hand and call, but hope he doesnt come to fast and catch you without your gun in hand. Well I got the gun up and ready and waited.. waited somemore... no go, hit the call very lightly and GOBBLE GOBBLE, right over the little hill from me about 30yards away. I got the gun up again and then you could hear the leaves crunching and the famous drumming. I caught movement and knew he saw the decoy but he decided to walk parrallel to the decoy and put on a show. Little did he know that was bringing him right to within 12 yards of me. I watched for a few minutes and right when I got ready to fire I heard geese flying over and sure enough he let out a triple gobble. Those were is last sounds and I was blessed with a fine gobbler on opening day. He ended up weighing in at 24lbs with an 11inch eaxtly beard. His spurs werent the best but still managed to be 7/8ths of an inch. Now I can sit back and have some more fun calling for others and myself the rest of the year:)

dont mind the pics, the wife was using a new camera and isnt aware of its features yet LOL...

Rage_A_Holic

Post by Rage_A_Holic »

Very nice. Congrats man.
[img]http://img169.imageshack.us/img169/948/sig2ty6.jpg[/img]
korey99

Post by korey99 »

Awesome looking bird...congrats!

Can't you get one with the Xbow now, or is the limit only one?

korey99
Mike P

Post by Mike P »

Great Bird!
Crunch

Post by Crunch »

Oh man,

What a great morning. Congrats on a very nice bird.
Opens on the 25th here.

Thanks for getting my heart going.

crunch
TYE

Post by TYE »

Congrats! Great bird! :D
DropTine

Post by DropTine »

Congrats on a big bird!
BowTech Gaurdian
Apex Sight
Trophy Taker Drop Away Rest
Beman ICS Camo Hunter Arrows
Rage 100gr Slipcam Broadheads
Scott Archery Release

I am 19 years old and hunt and fish as much as I can
Big John

bird

Post by Big John »

Great Turkey CF!!! 8) :D
24 lb. Birds are very descent!
Congrat's!!
Phoenix - 375 gr. BEE's (babyneilsons)
Micro 315 - 410 gr. Zombies/Lumenoks
Micro 355. - Punisher-Zombies/Lumenoks

Arrowmaker - Retired
[email protected]
mrxbower

Post by mrxbower »

Nice bird congrats.
What does PETA stand for?" "People Eating Tasty Animals
crazyfarmer

Post by crazyfarmer »

you can take 3 turkeys here in Va for the spring season. Unless you use those tags during the fall. I dont hunt turkeys in the fall to often since its deer season;)

I may take the bow out now, but I enjoy using the shotgun for somereason turkey hunting. Espically on a 1 man hunt since its easier to move and setup for a good shot

the breast has been boned out and ready for some good seasoning and then into the crockpot 8) :D My wife wont eat wild turkey but atleast she cooks it for me. I actaully like the taste of wild better since to me it has more flavor
Boo

Post by Boo »

Congratulations!!!! That is one bigazz bird! Nice one!!
Some people just like stepping on rakes
Rich

Post by Rich »

Way to go CF, we didn't hear a single bird this morning.

Rich
DoDFire

Post by DoDFire »

CONGRATS,,, Nice bird
Huntsman, rest! thy chase is done
dick195252

Post by dick195252 »

Congratulations on a very nice looking Gobbler :D :)
Exomax, Lumizone, Boo String, NRA, ACf, Member, [Proud Grandpa!!!]
Farmer

Post by Farmer »

Great Bird !