Penetration

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

sumner4991

Post by sumner4991 »

Duey . . .I took my last two deer with the Rocket Hammerheads, 3-blade, 2" cut, 100 gr. However, since I didn't get a complete pass through, I'm considering either going to the 125 gr Rocket Strictnine or add a little weight to my current set-up. The only reason I'm concerned about getting a complete pass is to save my arrow. If it doesn't pass through, then the deer usually breaks it on the way down.

I like the Hammerheads because of the results and they are relatively cheap. They fly like field-points, because they are no different. I am using two light rubberbands that come with the package. I've tested and they perform just fine. No premature openings. I also have some better rubberbands(same that my kids used on their braces) I use and it just takes one of them. When using a O-ring, I never use more than one . . .two is too many and could prevent the blades from opening as wabi experienced. Not saying that's the reason his didn't open, but, he did have two on there. :wink:

There are a lot of very good choices. If you have a high speed bow, then try the larger cut blades. Why not.
I'd rather wear out than rust out.
Perception trumps intention.

2006 Exomax w/Agingcrossbower Custom Stock
20" Easton Powerbolts w/125gr Trophy Ridge Stricknines & 2"Blazers
Boo Custom Strings
2006 Vixen
Grizzly Adam

Re: penatration

Post by Grizzly Adam »

brokebow wrote:I posted on broadheads ,and how good they are ,but it still is shot placement,I know that when you have a good heart shot the game is down.I have heard of doublelung shots that have healed on deer,I don't know if it is true or not. This came from some of the real so called Great white hunters,that have killed more deer from barstools than the woods. Jerry
Well, counting my own double lung and heart shot deer and those I've retrieved with buddies, I've been in on around two hundred deer kills ... and I've never seen a deer that was truly double lunged with a cutting broadhead that lived. Never.

It is also my experience that heart shot deer tend to go farther than double-lunged deer, with overall less impressive blood trails.

At least, that's been true of our NC deer. :D

I also believe that heavy arrows from heavy bows penetrate better in general. I have no experience with wide-cutting blades like Sumner prefers.
Grizz
DuckHunt

Post by DuckHunt »

I have to agree with with Grizz. A deer that has been hit through both lung doesn't heal. With broadheads a good double lung hit will put down most any whitetail within 30 seconds. How far they can travel in 30 seconds varies with the situation. Of the deer that I have hit well (double-lung), only the 9-pt that I took last year made it over 75 yards. He made it about 150 yards, likely because it was mostly downhill and the hit was an inch or so above center.

Shot placement is everything, but occasionally we all get lucky and have the right equipment. My first buck last season was shot with a Rage 3-blade 1.5" cut. Like a dummy I shot him as he started to move and hit too far back. The entrance was about center top to bottom about an inch in front of the hind leg. He was just slightly quartering toward (mistake #2) so the broadhead exited about in inch into the back leg on the opposite side. The buck turned around and walked about 50 yards before going down. I was amazed that such a poor shot placement resulted in a quick kill. Sometimes the large cut can remedy a screwup.

Personally I'm not a big fan of the huge-mechanicals. I prefer to keep the size down enough to ensure a pass through and focus on hitting the bullseye.

DuckHunt
Duey

Post by Duey »

Sumner thank you for the information.

Duey
brokebow

lungshot

Post by brokebow »

Hey,I just said that I had heard that these barstool hunters told that there were cases where the arrow had passed through lungs and never killed ,it is very hard to believe. I myself think this is B.S.,One of the barstool hunters is one of these people that has done everything and has the best of everything and everyone else dosen't know squat. All of you probably know someone like that. The so called superhunter,I have a different name for him but I would get in trouble if I posted it. Jerry
Jerry
Grizzly Adam

Re: lungshot

Post by Grizzly Adam »

brokebow wrote: I myself think this is B.S.
We didn't mean we thought you believed it, Jerry! :D

If there were a "BS-O-METER" that clicked like a Geiger Counter whenever BS was being slung about, it would drown out any conversation whenever it was carried into a bar. :lol:
Grizz