Arrow Question

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

confederate

Arrow Question

Post by confederate »

I would like to quiet my Excal 175 Exocet. I know changing to aluminum arrow would quiet it some. How much differance would there be and what size should I try? Also how much speed would I lose.
Matrix 330
Micro Axe 340
Pydpiper

Post by Pydpiper »

Wow, looking for a noise reduction in the difference between aluminum and carbon?
I like the way you think. :)
If you are not willing to learn, nobody can help you, if you are willing, nobody can stop you.
A bowhunter with a passion for shooting firearms.
WMU 91
Boo string
Rage_A_Holic

Post by Rage_A_Holic »

Your question is too vague. A lot of your answer is up to your personal preference. Here is the best I can break it down for you.

Generally speaking; your bow will be quieter while shooting aluminum bolts, because the average aluminum bolt weighs more than the average carbon bolt. Heavier bolts lessen the stress on the bow, and produce less noise. Therefore the heavier the bolt, the quieter the shot. Heavy bolts also obviously travel slower, penetrate deeper, and fly better in windy conditions.

Excal Minimum bolt weight is 350Grains, and a theoretical "maximum" can be set around say.... 650Grains or so.

350Grains will be the loudest, and the fastest, 650Grains will be the quietest, and the slowest. you are going to have to find a medium you are happy with. I personally feel 400-450Grains is a good balance between arrow speed, penetration, bow wear, noise level, and accuracy.

Back to the original question though.... Carbon bolts can be weighed down with heavy broadheads, and brass inserts. That too will help keep your FOC up. Aluminum bolts, although heavier per inch, can still be lighter than carbons if you use a small head, and a light insert.

In the end it all comes down to preference. there are WAY too many factors here.
Aluminum bolts can be bent, carbons can splinter
Aluminums are heavier, but tend to have less FOC
Light bolts penetrate less, but fly faster
Heavy bolts are quieter, and put less stress on the bow, but may travel slow enough to let a deer jump a shot.

There are WAY too many things to think of. Find a setup that works.... stick with it. Bolt tinkering is an expensive hobby that RARELY produces more meat by the end of a season.
[img]http://img169.imageshack.us/img169/948/sig2ty6.jpg[/img]
sumner4991

Post by sumner4991 »

I agree with Rage.

While it's expensive, it's also sort of unfulfilling. I have a bin full of different arrow set-ups. Couple that with the different strings, which I have. In the end . . .I like all of them for different reasons. I like the lite arrows combined with the fast string . . .max speed . . .the arrow hits the target, I swear, before I pull the trigger . . .awesome! I like the heavy arrows with the dacron string . . .easier to watch the arrow's path to the target . . .smooth and quite! Then . . .I have played around with different combinations in an attempt to find the fast, quite, smooth, perfect combination . . .still working on that one. :shock: :D

Now, it's a matter of the mood I'm in . . .sometimes I want the speed. Sometimes, I want the smooth sailing.

They all hit the target. That's where it boils down to personal preference. Whatever you want to accomplish . . .it can be done.

Scott
I'd rather wear out than rust out.
Perception trumps intention.

2006 Exomax w/Agingcrossbower Custom Stock
20" Easton Powerbolts w/125gr Trophy Ridge Stricknines & 2"Blazers
Boo Custom Strings
2006 Vixen
dick195252

Post by dick195252 »

Thank You for the information guys. it was very informative for me allso :wink:
Exomax, Lumizone, Boo String, NRA, ACf, Member, [Proud Grandpa!!!]