crossbows during muzzleloader season

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

mchurch

crossbows during muzzleloader season

Post by mchurch »

It seems like there are plenty who want to keep crossbows out of archery season. Has anyone seen or heard of them being allowed in any muzzleloader seasons? I was watching a show today with muzzleloaders and noticed how well those primitive weapons are grouping at long ranges now days.
Excalibur Revx
Hawke Xb 30 pro
16.5 inch wyverncreations.com zombie slayers
SWAT juggernaut broadhead
saxman

Post by saxman »

I am not positive but i believe I can shoot my crossbow all through the deer season here in Florida,I will check to make sure.
Scott
http://www.myspace.com/saxman1

Take a kid hunting
They don't remember their best day of watching TV

Excalibur Equinox
TruGlo Red/Green Dot
NGSS Absorber by NewGuy
Custom strings by BOO
Groundpounder Top Mount
ACF Member - 2011
mchurch

Post by mchurch »

Sax, how do your montecs fly? Have you tried the sonic pros...I am trying a few new broadheads.
Excalibur Revx
Hawke Xb 30 pro
16.5 inch wyverncreations.com zombie slayers
SWAT juggernaut broadhead
sumner4991

Post by sumner4991 »

In Georgia, Archery is permitted in primative weapons seasons . . .I thought the same was for Virginia, however, it's not spelled out in the regulations.

Here's something cool that Virginia is doing . . .talk about extending your hunting season.

Urban Archery Season

September 15-October 5, 2007 and January 7-March 29, 2008 within the incorporated limits of the cities of Colonial Heights, Danville, Emporia, Franklin, Lynchburg, Martinsville, Radford, Richmond, and Winchester, and the towns of Altavista, Amherst, Blacksburg, Christiansburg, Farmville, Independence, Purcellville, Richlands, Rocky Mount, Tazewell, West Point, and in Fairfax County. This season is open only in the localities just named.
I'd rather wear out than rust out.
Perception trumps intention.

2006 Exomax w/Agingcrossbower Custom Stock
20" Easton Powerbolts w/125gr Trophy Ridge Stricknines & 2"Blazers
Boo Custom Strings
2006 Vixen
LV2HNT

Post by LV2HNT »

You are right Sumner. In VA you can use a xbow during archery, muzzle loader, and gun seasons if you would like. 8)

It realy saddens me to see the extended seasons though. I can't speak for any of the places listed except for Fairfax county. Their problem is not that bad. This is another example of deer management policies run a muck to me. I could support the early seasons as long as their is actualy a population problem but it doesn't seem right to me to have the late season. You can't determine the sex of the deer so you will shoot mostly does that are in the late stages of pregnancy therefore killing two deer at a time. Plus I hate the thought of bucks being killed before they can grow their antlers.
A bad day in the woods is better than a good day anywhere else.
Woody Williams

Post by Woody Williams »

January 7-March 29, 2008??

Whoa!!

I can see that as a PR nightmare the later it gets in that seasons and the does are carrying almost complete fawns.
Woody Williams

We have met the enemy and he is us - Pogo Possum

Hunting in Indiana at [size=84][color=Red][b][url=http://huntingindiana.proboards52.com]HUNT-INDIANA[/url][/b][/color][/size]
saxman

Post by saxman »

mchurch wrote:Sax, how do your montecs fly? Have you tried the sonic pros...I am trying a few new broadheads.
The Montec's fly great,I havent tried anything else but have been looking at others.
I have added wraps and lighted nocks to my arrows so I need to check FOC,I may need to go to a heavier head.
Scott
http://www.myspace.com/saxman1

Take a kid hunting
They don't remember their best day of watching TV

Excalibur Equinox
TruGlo Red/Green Dot
NGSS Absorber by NewGuy
Custom strings by BOO
Groundpounder Top Mount
ACF Member - 2011
sumner4991

Post by sumner4991 »

I hunt near the town of Independence, VA. and I know there are way too many deer hit by cars there. I never thought about it, but, the extended season is antlerless only hunting . . .is there another choice in March? Probably not.

This extended season is due to the requests for help from these localities to help bring the deer herd under control. Of course, their idea of control may be elimination. I know the folks in Independence are getting tired of hitting deer. There hasn't been any hunting in the town limits in a LONG time . . .probably some nice bucks there, and they are safe until their horns fall off . . .
I'd rather wear out than rust out.
Perception trumps intention.

2006 Exomax w/Agingcrossbower Custom Stock
20" Easton Powerbolts w/125gr Trophy Ridge Stricknines & 2"Blazers
Boo Custom Strings
2006 Vixen